Hamstring Injuries

I pulled my ham a year ago and literally every time i try to sprint it pulls. i tried massaging it. tried rehabbing/prehabbing. I don’t know whats wrong. i do mobility work to warm up and dynamic stretching. i can jog and walk with no problems. as soon as i try to sprint it feels like someone is clenching their fist around my hamstrings in my right leg.

Did you rehab with a physical therapist and program or on own?

[quote]bigbird61 wrote:
I pulled my ham a year ago and literally every time i try to sprint it pulls. i tried massaging it. tried rehabbing/prehabbing. I don’t know whats wrong. i do mobility work to warm up and dynamic stretching. i can jog and walk with no problems. as soon as i try to sprint it feels like someone is clenching their fist around my hamstrings in my right leg.[/quote]

I had a pretty significant tear ~7 years ago and had the same problem after it had ‘healed’. I could jog for the most part without issue but the second I had to do a full out sprint it would hurt. It took about 4 years before I could run at 80% without pain and I just started to be able to sprint, squat, etc without pain last year.

What I found helped was to alternate ice and heat. After 20 minutes of heating massage the muscle a bit. Read this. Do-It-Yourself Myofascial Release

Also, they make a thigh support, similar to one for elbows and ankles that I would wear playing baseball. hhttp://tinyurl.com/pxz5psl I wore that whenever I knew I would be running. Helped quite a bit from feeling what you described.

Unfortunately, my experience and what the dr’s I talked to have said, hamstrings don’t recover super quickly.

[quote]comus3 wrote:
Did you rehab with a physical therapist and program or on own? [/quote]
On my own. I’m a college student so going to a pt wasn’t really a financial option. I could’ve gone to see my athletic trainer but I knew all he would have to say is r.i.c.e

[quote]dchris wrote:

[quote]bigbird61 wrote:
I pulled my ham a year ago and literally every time i try to sprint it pulls. i tried massaging it. tried rehabbing/prehabbing. I don’t know whats wrong. i do mobility work to warm up and dynamic stretching. i can jog and walk with no problems. as soon as i try to sprint it feels like someone is clenching their fist around my hamstrings in my right leg.[/quote]

I had a pretty significant tear ~7 years ago and had the same problem after it had ‘healed’. I could jog for the most part without issue but the second I had to do a full out sprint it would hurt. It took about 4 years before I could run at 80% without pain and I just started to be able to sprint, squat, etc without pain last year.

What I found helped was to alternate ice and heat. After 20 minutes of heating massage the muscle a bit. Read this. Do-It-Yourself Myofascial Release

Also, they make a thigh support, similar to one for elbows and ankles that I would wear playing baseball. hhttp://tinyurl.com/pxz5psl I wore that whenever I knew I would be running. Helped quite a bit from feeling what you described.

Unfortunately, my experience and what the dr’s I talked to have said, hamstrings don’t recover super quickly.[/quote]
Thanks. I’ll check that link out.

It sucks not being able to sprint. Especially when I’m decently fast and like to play sports.

Pt suggested the Lax ball pressure and some pretty specific stretches. I can try to find them or most likely to be found on line. Like pigeon stretch etc. The big thing was to keep on it with regular rehab schedule. And as said above time helpful vs efforts that set you back. I suffer from impatience on rehab and it always sets me back but gets better as I get older.