Hammer's Training Log

I’m 21 years old and just decided to quit throwing the hammer for my track team. If you don’t know what the hammer is, see Dan John’s website. My training consisted of a TON of throwing, which created a pretty bad muscle imbalance for my whole body. Combine that with an eye injury when I was young, and you have quite an interesting symmetry issue.

My lifting consisted of mostly cleans, with some snatches and squat variations thrown in; upper body training is frowned upon as a hammer thrower. Tragic, I know. So while my legs are nothing special, they are MUCH farther along than my upper body (how many 21 year olds can say that? haha).

So I was a chubby 210lbs in the winter, and I really began watching what I ate, reading T-Nation and using Biotest products and I’m at 188lbs right now, but so much leaner. Flameout is my best friend and I’m confident that it has been a huge part of losing a great deal of belly fat.

For now I am just doing really basic workouts to let my body have a chance to heal up from the hard years of throwing and balance out. I’ll start posting my workouts and some of my diet to keep track of everything, and if it entertains a couple of you T-Nation folks out there, great!

My basic goals right now are to make my upper body presentable, and keep losing fat.

I eat frequent meals with alot of lean protein and veggies, with some nuts thrown in. I’m keeping my carbs limited to fruit in the morning, and occasional oatmeal with a scoop of Metabolic Drive. Not eating bread is killer!

Today was my first time doing any form of squats in a long time, so I wasn’t planning on doing any real weight at all. Add that my chiro told me not to do them at all, and I decided it was a light day for sure. But, I forgot that squats are hard, no matter how much weight you use, ha!

Back Squat: 135x10; 185x10; 185x10

1 Leg Leg-Press: 1 45lb plate 2x8 each leg

Superset: Hamstring curls & Leg Extensions
HSC: 90lbsx10
LEXT: 80lbsx8 (I’m dying from squats at this point)
2 Times Through

Core Superset: Weighted Crunches & Back Extensions
WCR x 8
BEXT x 12
2 Times Through

And being a retard, I tried to row 500m in under 1:30 (inspired by today’s article). Yes, very dumb at the end of a leg day, I know. But I was on pace to be well below the 1:30 at 40 seconds, but a wave of nausea hit me, so I called it a day there.

It’s tough being in the weight room right now because my numbers are so much lower than they used to be. But, not looking like a skinny fat guy is more important than my squat max at this moment…

Today I woke up a little later than normal and went on my first jog since i was playing basketball. Little did i realize that the combination of sore legs from yesterday’s workout and some sneaky long hills around the neighborhood would lead to a hard workout. I was only out for just over 15 mins, but i was really sweating and breathing hard when I got home.

I know I might have worked a little too hard according to the science behind cardio/fat burning, but I really feel like today was a great workout. My body feels good and getting the blood flowing really helped.

Add a cup of green tea before I left and I could feel the fat burning off, ha!

DIET/Excercise:
Morning:
10g of Whey Protein
1 Cup of Green Tea
15-17min Jog
1 Scoop of Metabolic Drive Complete/20g of whey

Snack:
2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites

Lunch:
Spring mix Salad w/ sunflower seeds and light Balsamic Vinagarette and 6oz of baked chiken; handfull of peanuts

Ok, so I’ve been lifting and doing some stuff, but i really haven’t had a plan. I guess I was working out my demons. I’m going to the beach on Thursday and will be back Sunday. I’m going to do Waterbury’s 10/10 program after that. It is just specific enough for me, with enough wiggle room in the diet to keep feeling like I have control.

It’s a 12 week plan that claims to have you lose 10lbs of fat and gain 10lbs of muscle. If I can do that, I will be very happy. I mean, i would be VERY happy. I guess before and after pics are necessary.

Ok, so the beach was nice and I still ate relatively clean. I’ve been active, but letting my body totally rest for the first time in a few years.

I just got a job in Athens, but I’ve been living in Marietta, so I have to move back there and get re-settled. So, taking a week and a half or two weeks off will not only be amazing for my motivation, but will be convenient as well.

My diet is still very good and I am not putting any fat back on. Once I start with the supplementation protocol in Waterbury’s program, plus lifting, I may even put on a good bit of muscle.

I will upload before and after pics the night before I start the program (most likely Sunday evening).

Starting pics and measurements to come tonight. Funny thing is, compared to how I used to look, I’m not too terribly unhappy with how I look now. If the 10/10 switch actually happens, I will be one happy man.

Can’t get the pics to upload. Maybe tomorrow. They weren’t very good anyway

So I can’t get the pics to load, so nobody is going to give a crap about this log, but I am going to try and keep it up anyway.

Yesterday’s workout was not easy at all, and I could have added weight to my chins and dips. The circuit had little rest, and after two weeks off, deadlifts really took a toll on my lower back.

On top of all that, I had to go stand for 7 hours at work after that. I was incredibly stiff by the end of the night.

Today’s HIIT was brutal. I wasn’t sure how hard to push initially, and when the nausea began kicking in at 5 of 18 mins, I knew I had to back it down a little. Either way, the workouts were much harder than they looked on paper…

So I can’t get the pics to load, so nobody is going to give a crap about this log, but I am going to try and keep it up anyway.

Yesterday’s workout was not easy at all, and I could have added weight to my chins and dips. The circuit had little rest, and after two weeks off, deadlifts really took a toll on my lower back.

On top of all that, I had to go stand for 7 hours at work after that. I was incredibly stiff by the end of the night.

Today’s HIIT was brutal. I wasn’t sure how hard to push initially, and when the nausea began kicking in at 5 of 18 mins, I knew I had to back it down a little. Either way, the workouts were much harder than they looked on paper…