Hammer Strength vs Nautilus

I was wondering if hammer strength machines shared a similar variable resistance that made nautilus unique.

Yes, Hammer machines are similar to Nautilus.

Didn’t Gary Jones, Arthur’s son , work on Hammer machines? Scott

Yes he designed them. Just wasn’t sure how far the apple fell from the tree. Lol

I think one of Gary Jones’ main innovations was to use a 4-bar linkage instead of a cam to vary the resistance. It gets rid of issues related to cable or chain friction and stretch. If memory serves me, I think some of the MedX machines (leg press at least) used a 4 bar linkage instead of a cam.

Nautilus patented the 4 bar linkeage.

Nautilus 4-Bar Linkage
Nautilus’ patented 4-bar linkage is mechanical technology that automatically adjusts the resistance force to match the changing muscle force throughout the full range of movement of a specific exercise.
Nautilus’ 4-bar linkage systems are deployed in 4 primary ways:

1. 4-Bar Linkage As A Generator Of A Changing Axis Of Rotation.
    The 4-bar linkage can be applied to movements that have a changing axis of rotation, such as the LOW BACK and ABDOMINAL. When a person rotates around the vertebrae of the spinal column, the axis of rotation is constantly changing due to rotation around multiple vertebrae. A properly designed 4-BAR linkage, like Nautilus’ patented solution, mimics the changing axis of rotation thus maintaining the alignment that is critical in these movements also forcing proper form. (Used on 2ST AB, LB; Studio AB; and NITRO AB, LB)
  2. 4-Bar Linkage As A Generator Of Controlled Motion.
    The 4-bar linkage can be applied to movements that are multi-joint, such as the leg press. These movements require a particular trans-rotational path, produced by Nautilus’ 4-bar linkage, in order to be bio-mechanically correct, highly productive, and safe. (Used on 2ST LP, NITRO LP, Studio LP, XPload LP, and GRAVITRON)
  3. 4-Bar Linkage As A Function Generator.
    The 4-bar linkage can be applied to machines as a mechanism that can generate a force curve output as a function of a force input. In other words, it acts like a cam. This is useful on multi- joint movements which have radical strength curves like those found on the Overhead Press and Vertical Chest. Positive cams cannot change the resistance curve rapidly enough on a compound movement machine, thus negative cams, at much greater expense, must be applied in order to attain the rapidly changing resistance curves. The Nautilus 4-BAR linkage system, as a function generator, provides for rapidly changing curves like the negative cam, but at much less expense and with high durability and low maintenance. (Used on 2ST VC, OHP, IP, BP, CR and NITRO VC, OHP, IP)
  4. 4-Bar Linkage As An Adjustment System.
    Nautilus’4-bar linkage system is also used as an adjustment mechanism, which
    allows Nautilus machines to maintain a certain angle or plane of movement. An example of this is the seat back adjustment linkage used on the Leg Extension and Seated Leg Curl.
1 Like

Hammer strength , dosent use 4 bar linkage on any of their machines, its a nautilus invention, and used on many of their machines,…just like the nautilus litature posted above says

Hammer, what I am happy to see when there is no Nautilus.

2 Likes

Before training at home, I spent almost 15 years training in various gyms including a nice Gold’s. I only encountered one nautilus machine that entire time and it was an ab machine! lol I never got to the experience the cool ones.

I do have some experience with Hammer machines. I loved the vertical upright Hammer row and the pulldown was good too. I didn’t care for the upright chest press machine as I felt as if I couldn’t get the kind of stretch I wanted; something never felt ‘right’ to me with it. The dips machine wasn’t bad and the seated calf raise was solid (but most are).

1 Like

I suprisingly, as I am from South Australia oriignally, have had a chance to use old Nautilus equipment at a gym in Melbourne when I moved there for a few years. Pullover…awesome. Leg ext/curl (smooth) , bi and tri machines (not a fan), ab machine (not a fan).
That pullover and an assisted chin/dip packed the muscle on. I’d do pullover followed by chin.

Then I got to use Medx in London when I moved there. Good. But to be honest, I missed the old Nautilus pullover.

Then back in Adelaide, I found a gym that had a few old Nautilus machines (Pullover and a few other pieces).

I even saw a Naultilus Pullover up for auction…but I was too late.

Home gym now…Ironmaster dumbells and and bench and pulley…and I love it.

But I once a year may go to a commercial gym and one chain has Hammer…which I am more than happy to play with. Finding a Hammer pullover puts a smile on my face.

1 Like

Similar in what way, sir?

In that instance, I was referring to similar in the variation of resistance throughout the range of movement.

Have never used a Nautilus machine because I’ve never been to a gym in my country that has that equipment so unable to make a comparison. Hopefully one day I will be able to.

Find the plate loaded Hammer Strength machines to be a bit hit and miss from a bio-mechanical standpoint. The chest and back machines I’ve used have been mostly pretty decent. The plate loaded shoulder machines and leg machines, not so much.

I do find their exercise machines which utilise the cam mechanism are much better all round. The contraction you get in the muscle is just far more intense.

My gym has a plate loaded Hammer Strength pullover, I am curious how much it better it would be if it had a cam.

1 Like

The Hammer Strength pullover machine doesn’t allow me to get a full range stretch like the Nautilus pullover machine does…why is the range of motion shorter on the Hammer Strength pullover machine?

The range of motion of the Hammer Strength Pullover was designed that way for safety and to avoid lawsuits. Nautilus was sued numerous times by people who injured themselves on the Pullover machine. Most assuredly from using it incorrectly. But, the Hammer Strength folks decided to make it safer by cutting the range of motion down. It also cut out the need of a footpedal in the design. It’s hard to design idiot-proof machines.

5 Likes

Makes sense…thanks for responding

I see people using the pullover thinking its an ab exercise

Women using the seated leg curl as a hip thrust exercise

and they wonder why machines get broken or injuries occur

1 Like

Fwiw I start with the pullover machine and then immediately follow up with the plate loaded front pulldown machine which allows for a little bit more of a stretch.

Would’ve loved to have been a fly on the wall of the Nautilus offices when those lawsuits came in just to hear how Arthur Jones responded.

Although I can kind of imagine… :grin:

1 Like

I’m sure Arthur would have preferred to settle out-of-court using whatever firearm he was carrying at the time.

1 Like