Hammer Strength Rowing

I have a few questions on rowing,
First at my gym they have a few different hammer strength rowers and the one i like the best is the seated iso lateral row with the really narrow grip at the top.Now the one we have doesnt have the outer grips just the inner narrow ones.

My question is how does the narrow grip effect my back I can pull a ton on this thing and am wondering if im wasting my time.Now on the high row pictured below i cant pull nearly as much comparitively but on the t-bar i feel i can pull quit a bit.I am really interested in building a thick back and want to do the lifts that will yeild just that.

high row

I peronally don’t like neither. My 2 cents. T bar rows and dumbell rows are cool with me. I would rather use the lat pull down than that high row hammer thing. Switchin it up with different handles and such. LOVE SOME SEATED ROWS.

I use that exact high row for my vertical pull routine, after wide grip and T-bar pulldowns. I love it. I put my hands as narrow as possible.

I tried doing it wider, like I normally would with a row, but it felt worse and I could move less weight, surprisingly.

It works the entire back very nicely, especially the traps. I like to finish my set with a strip set to complete failure.

I do the HS low row on my horizontal row day, after cable T-bar rows and cable handle rows. I like that one a lot too. It will really hit your lower lats and lower traps. I do the strip set on that too. You’ll have trouble sitting up straight after the set if you do it right.

very nice machines, and yes
You can move ridiculous plates on the high row.

i like both but my gym has a different low row.

the hi-row i can use 3 plates +10 x9

the low row i can use 4 plates x9

Both can help with your overall back development. The high row is more of a vertical pull so that will be much harder than a horizontal pull. Most people can row much more than chin, so that is to be expected. Do you also do some free weight movement as well? I like to pair a free weight movement and a machine/HS movement - e.g. dumbbell row and then HS iso row, chins then HS high row in my workouts.

Low rows and high rows are fine by me. I started doing them after I got injured but now that I’m healed I still can’t beat the pump and the look I get from the girlys when I throw 4 plates on per side and row away. (The last part is completely false and merely used as comical relief)

[quote]hawaiilifterMike wrote:
Both can help with your overall back development. The high row is more of a vertical pull so that will be much harder than a horizontal pull. Most people can row much more than chin, so that is to be expected. Do you also do some free weight movement as well? I like to pair a free weight movement and a machine/HS movement - e.g. dumbbell row and then HS iso row, chins then HS high row in my workouts.[/quote]

Yes monday I do lat pull and hammer strength rows and thursday i do wide grip chins bent rows with bar and db rows.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

Yes monday I do lat pull and hammer strength rows and thursday i do wide grip chins bent rows with bar and db rows.[/quote]

Assuming you also do deadlift variations on leg or hip day, you seem to be covering your basis in terms of hitting your back completely. You know your body best and I can’t think of anything else more you really need to add to your back program. (Maybe for variety - t-bar rows, chest supported rows, or something that you can add/replace when the current routine gets stale?)