Hammer Curls?

I know it works the biceps and forearms but which was does is mainly work and are they useful in a arm routine.

My current routine:

Alternating curls
Cable curls or Single pulley cable curls

Close Grip Bench Press
Single pulley pushdown or cable pushdowns

[quote]icemansoldier wrote:
I know it works the biceps and forearms but which was does is mainly work and are they useful in a arm routine.

My current routine:

Alternating curls
Cable curls or Single pulley cable curls

Close Grip Bench Press
Single pulley pushdown or cable pushdowns[/quote]

they’re very useful they work primarily the brachialis which is located underneath the bicep brachii, as well as the brachioradialis which is the part of the forearm you will be working. building those muscles, it is said that it will help fill in the gap between the bicep and forearm, and no set of biceps is complete without a well developed brachialis.

In conclusion, hit the hammers.

If properly done (brought up to the chest and not the shoulders), hammer curls work the Brachialis (the muscle on the outside of the arm between the biceps and the triceps).

Many bodybuilders concentrate to build this muscle for the back double biceps pose.

edit: austin beat me to it by a few seconds :slight_smile:

So i should incorporate this into my routine :), i believe that 7 sets is max for biceps more than 7 sets will overtrain them in my opinion, so i will do 3 sets with alternating curls, 2/3 of another bicep exercise and probably 2 sets on hammer curls…sorted:)

i like the basics; regular barbell or dumbell curl. Sometimes, i think to much emphasis is placed on everyway you can work on something rather than just a basic exercise; personnaly, i dont use hammer curls…

i think the basics are enough — i would go with more sets on a basic barbell or dumbell curl than go with some alternative. From a practical standpoint, one is better off just doing a lot more chinups than curls; but thats just my point of view as i am not completely bodybuilding in my routine(meaning im more practical than looks oriented)

If you look at the guy in Austin,s avatar you see that muscle between his bicep and tricep front and center.

Reverse Curls and Hammer Curls target, as already mentioned, the brachioradialis.

Hammer Curls are also more awesome than reverse curls because you can use more weight. Most people who frequent the gym don’t understand this, so when they see you tossing around the 70s they’ll think you’re a freak.

Hammer Curls and Reverse Curls are a crucial part of grip training and are important exercises for complete arm development.
If your forearms are small, your triceps and biceps will never get as big as they could get.

And aside from the obvious benifits a strong grip carries (Deadlifts, Olympic Lifts, Rows, Chins, Fights, Pickle Jars) having a stronger grip also allows you to squeeze the bar harder and get more triceps activation in pressing movements so you can use more weight.

I believe that Hammer Curls are also the only curl ever done at Westside Barbell.

not sure how tricep comes into play with regard to strengh or strong grip… never seen any article or pulbication on this—personally, with regard to triceps, i use very little forearm on anything; though i guess i would in pressing movements; though the pressing movements themselves develop the necessary stengh — or maybe not???

[quote]ds77 wrote:

And aside from the obvious benifits a strong grip carries (Deadlifts, Olympic Lifts, Rows, Chins, Fights, Pickle Jars) having a stronger grip also allows you to squeeze the bar harder and get more triceps activation in pressing movements so you can use more weight.

not sure how tricep comes into play with regard to strengh or strong grip… never seen any article or pulbication on this—personally, with regard to triceps, i use very little forearm on anything; though i guess i would in pressing movements; though the pressing movements themselves develop the necessary stengh — or maybe not???

[/quote]

he’s right about the triceps and grip strength, i think they may have an article about it on critical bench, but not 100%

[quote]Hussayn wrote:
If properly done (brought up to the chest and not the shoulders)[/quote]

x2

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
If you look at the guy in Austin,s avatar you see that muscle between his bicep and tricep front and center.[/quote]

Yeah i see it, makes the arm look more complete no doubt, i did used to do BB reverse curls and Reverse cable curls, im going to add in hammer curls now :slight_smile:

another problem i have is that my left bicep is 14.75 inches and my right bicep is 14.25 inches so im added single pulley curls to try to help level them up but its never going to be level as my left is half an inch bigger than my right.

My right tricep is also bigger than my left thats why i have incorparated single pulley pushdowns into my routine.

I think i read an article cant remember where from it said one muscle is always bigger than the other, eg your left pec could be slightly bigger than your right.

Pinwheel Curls > hammer curls.

To do them, instead of keeping the db out to your side, bring it up in front of and across your body. This will let you use significantly more weight as you wont be trying to support the weight so far away from your center of gravity.

I was wondering if good exercises for the elbow flexors would be to flex my elbow against resistance. Please help

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

To do them, instead of keeping the db out to your side, bring it up in front of and across your body. This will let you use significantly more weight as you wont be trying to support the weight so far away from your center of gravity.[/quote]

These look pretty good to really squeeze your biceps is this the correct way to do them:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

To do them, instead of keeping the db out to your side, bring it up in front of and across your body. This will let you use significantly more weight as you wont be trying to support the weight so far away from your center of gravity.[/quote]

you just described a proper hammer curl…

[quote]ds77 wrote:

[/quote]

Try Benching Heavy Weights with a thumbless grip. Then try tearing the bar apart while you are benching.

[quote]Hussayn wrote:
Stronghold wrote:

To do them, instead of keeping the db out to your side, bring it up in front of and across your body. This will let you use significantly more weight as you wont be trying to support the weight so far away from your center of gravity.

you just described a proper hammer curl…[/quote]

Hammer curls are brought out in front of the body, pinwheels are taken across the body. Chances are what youve been calling hammer curls are actually pinwheels. A Hammer curl is a regular curl where you keep your hand in a neutral position.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Hussayn wrote:
Stronghold wrote:

Hammer curls are brought out in front of the body, pinwheels are taken across the body. Chances are what youve been calling hammer curls are actually pinwheels. A Hammer curl is a regular curl where you keep your hand in a neutral position.[/quote]

hmm then Victor Martinez must have been wrong.

[quote]Hussayn wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Hussayn wrote:
Stronghold wrote:

Hammer curls are brought out in front of the body, pinwheels are taken across the body. Chances are what youve been calling hammer curls are actually pinwheels. A Hammer curl is a regular curl where you keep your hand in a neutral position.

hmm then Victor Martinez must have been wrong.
[/quote]

I cant believe youre going to go there with this discussion.

Do you really think Vic is some giant all knowing encyclopedia of exercise names? Most people do pinwheels and think they are hammer curls because they start out doing them out to the side and start bringing them in across the body to use more weight.

Maybe instead of worrying about what theyre called, you could just go do them.