T Nation

Hamburgers: The 'Hummers of Food'

Hamburgers are the Hummers of food in global warming

When it comes to global warming, hamburgers are the Hummers of food, scientists say.

Simply switching from steak to salad could cut as much carbon as leaving the car at home a couple days a week.

That's because beef is such an incredibly inefficient food to produce and cows release so much harmful methane into the atmosphere, said Nathan Pelletier of Dalhousie University in Canada.

Pelletier is one of a growing number of scientists studying the environmental costs of food from field to plate.

... Another part of the problem is people are eating far more meat than they need to.

Full Article:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.e36a67d49c1127a8c17cc38ed4a4c27e.211&show_article=1

Looks like I'm a one-man environmental disaster........

Shit, if you are, I must be one of those nuclear power plants on melt down. I am pretty sure I eat a cow a month...and I doubt I'm exaggerating much.

We should start hunting cows for sport.

We'll need some grenades, naturally.

FOR THE CAUSE!

Lunch/dinner/'meal # whateva' For March.

I guess I had better start working on April also...if I can't get that heifer to stand still long enough.

"Simply"??

Yes, but you realize that if we start eating more plants, it'll just make the problem worse. You see, these cows release methane into the atmosphere, which can lead to increased green house gases and therefore a rise in temperature. Therefore, we must eat these beasts to help save the planet. Plants on the other hand, remove carbon dioxide from the air, thus reducing the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. If we eat nothing but salads, we would decrease the plant population and thus it would lead to more drastic global warming.

In conclusion, I say we have all have a steak in order to save our dear beloved planet.

I agree with this said notion.

Wait!! I didn't write that! :wink:

Let me fix that:

"Simply switching from steak to STEAK SALAD..."

I just thought of something else... Instead of using 100% beef for your burgers, 'cut' them with VEAL! Smaller cows = smaller carbon footprint. Harvest those lil' suckers while they're babies-- they taste better that way anyhow...

Oh yeah, salad can be substituted for beef in almost any scenario. Salad and potatoes. Salad stew. Salad and eggs. Bacon cheesesalad.

Actually, the last one sounds kind of good.

If we stopped eating beef there would be less demand for cattle ranches. Wich means less cattle. If we ate more salad there would be more farms growing lettuce for salads (or whatevers in them, I've never had one) and would remove carbon dioxide from the air until harvested. Not that I'm advocating this, I'm just sayin is all...

Considering we've been in a cooling cycle for the past decade, I think I'll eat beef -and ignore the climate silliness.

FTW

Cooling cycle? You serious bro?

Not to get political, but we have been in a cooling trend since 1999. For real.

Not to get political, but there are things more important than getting big, notably having a habitable planet to pass on to our grandchildren...

Not that I don't eat steak, but it's worth thinking about the impact that one's life has on the planet's future.

Ha! People want to save the world.

You guys are funny motherfuckers.

That's why I'm eating the fucking cows! To stop them!

LOL

The earth has been around for how long, and been through how many disasters and mass extinctions, only to recover?

Us humans have been around for how long?

Personally, I find it funny that people are so full of themselves to think that we have any major impact on this planets future.

Exactly.

With all the wars, fanatics of all kind and what not you really think that not eating cows is gonna save the world? Come on, I almost don't want to have kids because who knows what kind of shithole the Earth may turn into in 30 years time.

Pffff, lets all stop worrying so much about the world - it's been here a lot longer than we have and will most definitely outlast humans. We'll kill ourselves off but the planet wil still be here.