Ham/Quad-Glute Imbalance

Let’s all be real here. RJ’s not REALLY asking for advice… he just wanted to brag about his hamstring strength!

They’re significantly harder since it’s purely knee flexion. Even doing partials is pretty damn hard when pulling yourself back up. Here’s the only decent vid I’ve seen.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3419848615516816460&q=ham+raise
[/quote]

That a cool vid…thanks!

[quote]Willus wrote:
RJ, I have the same squat at you, and the same bodyweight, but I am nowhere close to being able to do a natural glute ham raise.

What EMS machine did you buy, and what kind of protocol did you use?

Do you experience involuntary movement when using it? I used a very weak EMS machine on my finger flexors and found I couldn’t keep my hands from closing(probably because the flexors are much stronger than extensors). I am thinking this might be an even bigger problem with the knees and other joints.

Thanks for your time.[/quote]

Why were you using EMS on your finger flexors? Was it for your grip?

Willus,
I bought an EMS 7500. It’s really cheap and I find that for the price, it’s unbeatable. I basically turned the machine’s intensity up as high as it could go and applied 5 sets of 8 seconds to my hamstrings every 4 days. I do get a complete contraction through the muscles of my legs and I use my bodyweight to hold my limbs in position. For calves I stand on a step and let my heel drop off the edge.

In my opinion, no athlete should be without an EMS machine. Though if you can afford it, I would purchase a Compex 400.

jtrinsey,
Damn! You caught me. :wink:

RJ

Thanks for the reply RJ. I have been thinking of purchasing an ems device for some time. Looks like its time I took the plunge… I think I will check the local physio stores.

Hockechamp, I was using such a weak device that I could only feel it work on small muscles. So I tried it on my finger flexors. Basically I was just screwing around. However using ems for grip sounds like a decent idea, since it is a big weak point for me.