Halloween Movie Ideas?

[quote]Professor X wrote:

The first part of the movie was just so they could create some connection between the audience and the main characters…which all did a great job of playing those parts.

Many of those scenes involved 8 or more actors with lines who all had to get every line right over the course of several minutes since it was done all in one shot. Needless to say, that is hard to do. If anyone fucks up at all, they have to start back at the beginning.

For them to play realistic characters in light of that is impressive.[/quote]

Definitely. It reminded me a lot of the structure used in the scarier first-person shooters (Doom 3 for example): you can compare the first half to the prologue, where nothing really happens, but there’s still a real sense that something bad is about to go down.

The second half is the equivalent of the in-game action, where you are allowed to relax just enough, only to get hit with a shock out of nowhere. I’ve been waiting for someone to use that kind of formula in a movie for a while, mainly because it results in a sense of unease you very rarely get in movies nowadays.

It’s very cleverly done. I’m suprised more directors haven’t followed suit - it can be applied to any story, really. Think WS4SB for horror movies (WS4HM?).

[quote]TKDCadet04 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
TKDCadet04 wrote:
The Descent.

Get the US version if you want a “happy” ending (which I think she’ll probably be thankful for)

They both have the same ending unless I missed something. They are making a sequel as well which I am waiting for.

That was a very good low budget movie even if some of the accents threw me off. She just may very well like the fact that some of the women in it were pretty bad ass.

The theatrical release in the US cut off the last minute and a half or so, and ends with…

spoilers

Sarah on the side of the road seeing Juno’s ghost.

whereas the UK/original version goes till the true end.

which really doesn’t leave much for a sequel unless there are all new characters.
[/quote]

I must have seen the UK version then. I wasn’t aware there was another, especially since that one was at Walmart. They did leave the main character alive though. The sequel could be all about the rescue.

Alright, you’ve convinced me. I’m going to finish Quarantine.

I did like the characters and the escalating “what’s going on here” feeling. Without ruining anything, I got to the point where the veterinarian tells everyone his theory on what’s going on, but not much past it.

I didn’t like the darkness (and that could be in part due to my DLP HD TV). It was often too hard to see what was going on, even though there were clearly lights on in the building where they were.

But your comments definitely make me want to revisit it. Hopefully I’ll be thanking you soon!

My vote goes to The Shining. That movie was pretty badass…a true horror classic.

IMO paranormal activity did not suck. This movie isn’t about cheesy pop ups. It leaves it up to your imagination and will fuck you over when you try to sleep at night. I couldn’t sleep for 2-3 days.

MM

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
SSC wrote:
Cannibal Holocaust.

Thank me later.

Meh. I watched it a few times already and I think it’s a bit overrated. Not really the “most shocking movie ever!” I thought it would be. Still, it’s a bit creepy at times, but certainly not deserving of all the hype.[/quote]

Well, true. To the average person, it’s pretty fucked up. But if you’ve seen any of the real internet vids, or like the August Underground or Guinea Pig movies, it’s a cakewalk.

And LOL at people thinking the impaled chick on a stick was real back in the day.

[quote]TKDCadet04 wrote:
The Descent.

Get the US version if you want a “happy” ending (which I think she’ll probably be thankful for)[/quote]

The Descent, but NOT the US version. Far better. Happy endings suck.

In my book, The Descent is one of the best horror flicks of all time. Everything about this film is masterful, down to the creepy soundtrack.