Half Shoulder Press

I tried this excersises for the first time today. It was the excersise of the week a few weeks ago. I have a few questions to anyone who uses this excersise. I used it on a smith machine and used regualr shoulder press grip and then tried close grip, anyway I did it my front delts got burned out before my ticeps really got hit. Any idea what to do to change this?

that exercise isnt meant for triceps jackass

Isn’t the point of shoulder presses to burn out the shoulders? When I do shoulder presses, I avoid the lockout portion in order to further stress my shoulders and not have my triceps fatigue first.

S

Stu, judging by your delt development, I would say youre probably moving some massive poundage overhead. So locking out would expose your elbow joints to stress and should be avoided anyway. On a side note, youre blowing up, man. Anything youd like to share with us? (j/k)

And anyway, the OP is referring to the partial ROM shoulder press which is a TRICEPS movement (exercise of the week). So he should use the ROM that puts most stress on the triceps for that particular movement anyway - so go almost to full extnesion just short of locking out

To the OP, when youre familiar with the range of motion that stresses the body part youre trying to work, you can use shortened ROM (like Ronnie’s DB bench for the chest and shoulders), and locking out completely is usually not a good idea ANYWAY for joint integrity. But if youre beginning out or are intermediate in your training, go as full-range (without complete lock-out) as you can until:

1. Youre moving some good weights in that movement, and
  2. You are able to find the range that works for you (meaning for the muscle group youre working, assuming youre doing a bodypart split nd have shoulders and triceps on separate days).
    In aany case, its too dependent on your goals for that session.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Isn’t the point of shoulder presses to burn out the shoulders? When I do shoulder presses, I avoid the lockout portion in order to further stress my shoulders and not have my triceps fatigue first.

S
[/quote]

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=2109001...this is what im talking about

[quote]crod266 wrote:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=2109001...this is what im talking about[/quote]

Yea you problem might be that your going too far down…

If you look at it as if you were watching a guy from behind doing this press you should not let your arms get parallel to the floor…

I mostly move around 8" tops on that movement and yea I use a smith machine with the hooks set so I don’t smash my head in…

S
[/quote]

Stu
If you want to really burn those shoulders then have you tried scott press?

You can use high weight (for that movement) and not fell like your killing your rotator cuff…

PM me if you want the 411 on that.

Mombooto- Thanks for the kind words, in all honesty, I’ve just been seriously cutting for the 1st time in about 5 years, so I’m actually getting a lot SMALLER lately -lol. I know you can’t always tell by peoples avatars or pics that they’re only about 170 lbs, but I’m DOWN to 198 this past week :slight_smile:

Crod- 'Booto is right on the money with the ROM explanation. TC wrote something YEARS ago about doing ‘one and a half reps’ of certain movements to stress a certain muscle group within a compound exercise.

If I recall correctly, he suggested for arm dominant becnh pressers to do one full rep of the motion, then come half way up, then back down, and that would constitute “1 repetition”. The point was to do more work for the chest muscles, and not so much for the triceps. You could probably apply this to your original question.

'Ego- Is that simply angling the dumbells? I used to do that and attempt more of an overhead ‘flye’ movement instead of a press for my delts. I always felt that it minimized my tricep stress.

S

[quote]Boxer666 wrote:
that exercise isnt meant for triceps jackass[/quote]

yes it is, maybe you should know what your talking about before you call me a jackass

[quote]crod266 wrote:
I tried this excersises for the first time today. It was the excersise of the week a few weeks ago. I have a few questions to anyone who uses this excersise. I used it on a smith machine and used regualr shoulder press grip and then tried close grip, anyway I did it my front delts got burned out before my ticeps really got hit. Any idea what to do to change this?[/quote]

I think i know the problem. On the smith set the bar up so it literally comes down into the middl

e of the top of your skull. Then use a shoulder width grip and push the elbows in slightly.

This will help recruit more triceps, and give the correct rom (i dont know if you did this already?)

What do you think?

Honestly, if this doesnt fix the problem - i would think you need to do more shoulder presses, as the delts are ovviously weaker than the triceps.

OK

'Ego- Is that simply angling the dumbells? I used to do that and attempt more of an overhead ‘flye’ movement instead of a press for my delts. I always felt that it minimized my tricep stress.

S
[/quote]
Stu,

Part of it but here is Larry Scott’s own instruction on this movement:

"I don’t know how to tell you this but, you don’t actually press the dumbbells. You press the elbows. Sounds crazy but…

let me explain. You see… your deltoids don’t give a hoot what is happening to either the dumbbells or your wrists but they do care what is happening to your elbows.

It’s the arc of the elbows that the shoulders are aware of I want you to press the elbows so that, if possible, they would touch up somewhere behind the back of your head. I’ve got to get you to see this clearly or you’re not going to grow and…, you’re going to end up looking like an Albatross going through a mating dance on National Geographic.

The dumbbells start out with the palms facing the mirror… Not facing each other. You’re going to be tempted to stan out having them face each other because it helps you get this part of the motion down easier but… don’t do it… because it makes it harder to get the eccentric part of the exercise correct.

Okay let me repeat… press the elbows up and behind as high as you can… trying to keep the arc that would have the elbows touch together behind the head. Actually, neither the dumbbells nor the elbows go very high. It’s probably not even the middle 3/5s but more like the middle 2/5’s of the exercise.

Okay now for the lowering part of the press.

Once you get the elbows in the top position… Slowly lower the dumbbells, at the same time try to keep them as wide as possible. All the time keeping the little finger side of the dumbbell higher than the thumb side.

As you lower the dumbbells… Try to stretch out and get them as wide as possible. (Remember to keep the little finger side of the dumbbell higher than the thumb side). This places all stress right directly on the side deltoid head."

Solid

[quote]inthego wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

Stu,

Part of it but here is Larry Scott’s own instruction on this movement:

"I don’t know how to tell you this but, you don’t actually press the dumbbells. You press the elbows. Sounds crazy but…

let me explain. You see… your deltoids don’t give a hoot what is happening to either the dumbbells or your wrists but they do care what is happening to your elbows.

It’s the arc of the elbows that the shoulders are aware of I want you to press the elbows so that, if possible, they would touch up somewhere behind the back of your head. I’ve got to get you to see this clearly or you’re not going to grow and…, you’re going to end up looking like an Albatross going through a mating dance on National Geographic.

The dumbbells start out with the palms facing the mirror… Not facing each other. You’re going to be tempted to stan out having them face each other because it helps you get this part of the motion down easier but… don’t do it… because it makes it harder to get the eccentric part of the exercise correct.

Okay let me repeat… press the elbows up and behind as high as you can… trying to keep the arc that would have the elbows touch together behind the head. Actually, neither the dumbbells nor the elbows go very high. It’s probably not even the middle 3/5s but more like the middle 2/5’s of the exercise.

Okay now for the lowering part of the press.

Once you get the elbows in the top position… Slowly lower the dumbbells, at the same time try to keep them as wide as possible. All the time keeping the little finger side of the dumbbell higher than the thumb side.

As you lower the dumbbells… Try to stretch out and get them as wide as possible. (Remember to keep the little finger side of the dumbbell higher than the thumb side). This places all stress right directly on the side deltoid head."

Solid

[/quote]

Man!!! is this move on film somewhere?

[quote]Qaash wrote:
Man!!! is this move on film somewhere?[/quote]

lol
HBO will have the mini series soon…
Larry is a bit long winded but it’s a good movement if done rite…

[quote]inthego wrote:
Qaash wrote:
Man!!! is this move on film somewhere?

lol
HBO will have the mini series soon…
Larry is a bit long winded but it’s a good movement if done rite…[/quote]

Here’s a link to Larry’s DB shoulder press technique

HTH

Larry Scott - Palm Out DB Press - YouTube Scott himself