T Nation

Half-Body Routine

Saw this routine over at another site, looked pretty logical so I’m thinking about starting it soon. Been doing SS for around 4 months.

Squats 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5
Chin Up 3x8
Barbell Curls 3x10
GHR 3x8

OH Press 5x5
Incline DB Bench Press 3x8
Chest Dips 3x10
Incline Flies 3x10
Skullcrushers 3x10

Deadlifts 5x5
Pull Up 3x8
Leg Press 3x8
Dumbell Rows 3x10
Dumbell Curls (Hammer/Concentration) 3x10

Bench Press 5x5
Shoulder Press 3x8
Chest Dips 3x10
DB Flys 3x10
Close Grip Bench 3x10

Workouts on mon/wed/fri so it goes 1/2/3 then 4/1/2 etc.

[quote]Logs wrote:
Saw this routine over at another site, looked pretty logical[/quote]
Logical? Dude, if this plan had a theme song it would be:

What’s your current deadlift, squat, overhead press, bench, and clean?

How much bodyweight did you gain in four months?

At 5’10" and 150 pounds, you’ve still got plenty of room to add size if that’s what you’re after. What exactly are your goals?

Goddamn I totally just hit reset.

I don’t see how a plan structured to make you look like Trogdor would be a good idea.

Also, Chris you made me choke on my sub with the legs video.

Haha I was concerned with the lack of leg work although the poster of the workout assured me that it was enough. My lifts arent anything special but they are: (all 5rm) squats - 190, bench - 160, deadlifts - 205, rows - 145, overhead press - 85. I actually weigh around 155 so I gained about 10+ pounds in that time frame. I’m looking to weigh around 160-170 with lean functional muscle, wasn’t sure if the strength program could help me reach those goals.

*edit - and to clarify I was doing the stronglifts variant of SS.

To answer your question, no, I would not do a program structured like this. Just do a split.

Why is your username ‘Logs’?

Try Madcow/Linear 5x5

Edit: and eat man, you’re not going to look like much at 160 dude at 5’10", shoot for 190-200

jmo, thanks

My username is logs because my real name is Logan. Is there any way I could modify the above workout to build my legs equally as the rest of my body? The problem is I only want to workout three days a week under an hour each session

You should do more than 3 days a week. Even just pushing it to 4 days would help alot. But since you’re a beginner, why not do even more than that?

Something like this:

back/biceps
chest/triceps
legs
shoulders

or

back/triceps
chest/biceps
legs
shoulders

or

back
chest
legs
arms
shoulders

[quote]Logs wrote:
Haha I was concerned with the lack of leg work although the poster of the workout assured me that it was enough.[/quote]
Whoever created that program is a nincompoop. Yes, you heard me. A nincompoop.

In four months you gained 10 pounds? Eating is your primary issue.

Learn and put the info into action:

Just as a heads the “f-word” doesn’t really fly well around here. Muscle is muscle. Being “functional” (depending on how you define it) is up to the person carrying the muscle.

Like Trav said, 160 or even 170 at your height will be… meh, okay, sorta. A lean 190 can look and perform impressively. For example, Georges St. Pierre (above, in red) is 5’11" and fights around 195. So you might want to set a long-term goal of reaching a muscular 200-ish, and then cutting down to your own “fighting weight.”

That “program” is a lost cause. Forget about it.

Really, if you went back to textbook Starting Strength and ate (gallon of milk a day, three big meals, the whole nine yards), you could be fine. Or check something like Dan John’s mass plan:

The use of the term functional is probably one of the most overused (and misused) terms in this community. Assuming you are training for athletics as opposed to bodybuilding (where the term functional does not apply at all), gaining 5-10 pounds of muscle is small enough that it should not noticeably hinder athletic traits such as speed and quickness, elite athletes excepted.

At 155 lbs, you’re doing all this accessory work? Get out of beanpole status with the basics then worry about shit like “muscle quality” and seperation. Jesus.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Like Trav said, 160 or even 170 at your height will be… meh, okay, sorta. A lean 190 can look and perform impressively. For example, Georges St. Pierre (above, in red) is 5’11" and fights around 195. So you might want to set a long-term goal of reaching a muscular 200-ish, and then cutting down to your own “fighting weight.”

[/quote]

I know you’re the man and everything and I respect that but for the record there is no weight class at 195 and GSP is a welterweight, so he goes in at 170. Granted he regains his water after the weigh-in but I doubt he downs 15lbs of water Brock Lesnar style. (also just looked it up, GSP states he "walks around at his fight weight [170])

You are being ignorant, just try to learn something about weight cutting/dehydration and you will see that most of the guys fight at the day of the fight with the bodyweight of the upper class(gsp fights at 170 with 185 now he is even bigger at 195lbs) rampage fights at 225 and dehydrate to fight at 205

don’t get tricked by the scale.

[quote]Fat.Ass. wrote:
At 155 lbs, you’re doing all this accessory work? Get out of beanpole status with the basics then worry about shit like “muscle quality” and seperation. Jesus.[/quote]

Yes, because ignoring all those “little” “accessory” muscles and only doing the HARDCOREZ SQUATZ and da DEADZER is the way to go.

HARDCOREZ 4 LIFE!

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:
I know you’re the man and everything and I respect that but for the record there is no weight class at 195 and GSP is a welterweight, so he goes in at 170. Granted he regains his water after the weigh-in but I doubt he downs 15lbs of water Brock Lesnar style. (also just looked it up, GSP states he "walks around at his fight weight [170])[/quote]
No offense taken, Cap. But I do wish more people would read the articles here.

"TM: So GSP had contacted you about gaining weight?

JB: I guess some people would be surprised to hear that GSP wanted to gain weight. So before I continue, you have to understand how the MMA classes work. Basically, there’s pressure from the top down to fight in lower weight classes. You have these guys in Heavyweight weighing in at 270lbs, so the 230lbs heavyweights will drop down to 205 to gain an advantage. But now the natural 205 pounders will be at a disadvantage, so they’ll cut to 185 and so on.

GSP, who was walking around 185-ish and cutting to 170, contacted me to get to 195-200 to then cut down to 170. Once we changed his diet, he gained 10 pounds of lean mass in 8 weeks. Again, he was chronically underfed, so when we finally started doing things right the weight just flew on.

TM: Any problems with such a big cut (200 to 170)?

JB: No, GSP uses a very scientific approach to cut. He’ll show up for a fight weighing 195 on Monday, cut to 170 by Friday for weigh-ins, and then, in the next 24 hours, put most, if not all of those 25 pounds back on."

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:
I know you’re the man and everything and I respect that but for the record there is no weight class at 195 and GSP is a welterweight, so he goes in at 170. Granted he regains his water after the weigh-in but I doubt he downs 15lbs of water Brock Lesnar style. (also just looked it up, GSP states he "walks around at his fight weight [170])[/quote]
No offense taken, Cap. But I do wish more people would read the articles here.

"TM: So GSP had contacted you about gaining weight?

JB: I guess some people would be surprised to hear that GSP wanted to gain weight. So before I continue, you have to understand how the MMA classes work. Basically, there’s pressure from the top down to fight in lower weight classes. You have these guys in Heavyweight weighing in at 270lbs, so the 230lbs heavyweights will drop down to 205 to gain an advantage. But now the natural 205 pounders will be at a disadvantage, so they’ll cut to 185 and so on.

GSP, who was walking around 185-ish and cutting to 170, contacted me to get to 195-200 to then cut down to 170. Once we changed his diet, he gained 10 pounds of lean mass in 8 weeks. Again, he was chronically underfed, so when we finally started doing things right the weight just flew on.

TM: Any problems with such a big cut (200 to 170)?

JB: No, GSP uses a very scientific approach to cut. He’ll show up for a fight weighing 195 on Monday, cut to 170 by Friday for weigh-ins, and then, in the next 24 hours, put most, if not all of those 25 pounds back on."[/quote]

Ah, I knew there was more to it than that - I just couldn’t resist the urge to chomp down on my own foot. And sorry, I really do love Mondays for the new issues of the T-Mag but on occasion I get lazy and skim an article. I’ll make sure to read a bit more comprehensively in the future!