Haley...Another Sighting

[quote]Professor X wrote:
pja wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Seeing Haley at 237lbs makes me wonder how much I would need to drop to be contest ready.

only one way to find out…:wink:

I know, I know, but this shit takes time. Eating like CT recommended actually put muscle on me and kept my weight constant instead of allowing me to drop body weight. I know that is “ideal” but it may take longer than in the past when I dropped cals much lower (and lost more muscle).

My goal is to be noticeably much leaner by November (date is only significant because I am going to WATCH a local bodybuilding comp and I want to be in shape in the audience). People around me say they can see a difference now but I am always last to see a change.[/quote]

This is pretty unrelated to Marcus Haley, but I have a question in regards to cutting.

Why is everyone (who is not competing) so afraid of losing muscle when they are dieting? I know it’s ideal to hold on to muscle, but any muscle lost will be regained quickly once a few more calories are added back in the diet, no? Muscle memory should have any muscle lost back extremely quick so if you lose a bit more muscle than optimal, who cares, right?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Why is everyone (who is not competing) so afraid of losing muscle when they are dieting? I know it’s ideal to hold on to muscle, but any muscle lost will be regained quickly once a few more calories are added back in the diet, no? Muscle memory should have any muscle lost back extremely quick so if you lose a bit more muscle than optimal, who cares, right?[/quote]

Because being as lean as possible with as much muscle as possible looks the best? Or to look at it another way, I’d rather look like an NFL tailback rather than the winner of the Boston marathon even though the marathon runner probably has a lower bodyfat percentage. Seems like common sense…

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Professor X wrote:
pja wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Seeing Haley at 237lbs makes me wonder how much I would need to drop to be contest ready.

I know, I know, but this shit takes time. Eating like CT recommended actually put muscle on me and kept my weight constant instead of allowing me to drop body weight. I know that is “ideal” but it may take longer than in the past when I dropped cals much lower (and lost more muscle).

My goal is to be noticeably much leaner by November (date is only significant because I am going to WATCH a local bodybuilding comp and I want to be in shape in the audience). People around me say they can see a difference now but I am always last to see a change.

This is pretty unrelated to Marcus Haley, but I have a question in regards to cutting.

Why is everyone (who is not competing) so afraid of losing muscle when they are dieting? I know it’s ideal to hold on to muscle, but any muscle lost will be regained quickly once a few more calories are added back in the diet, no? Muscle memory should have any muscle lost back extremely quick so if you lose a bit more muscle than optimal, who cares, right?[/quote]

If you drop muscle, you drop your metabolism. Doing like you suggest would simply be a great way to run in circles, regaining body fat right along with any muscle gained once you go back to eating more. Not only that, but time is a major factor and the guy who thinks he can just regain whatever is lost will likely end up years behind of where he could have been if he does this regularly. Also, I worked hard for the size I have right now. The last thing I want is to diet down and lose everything I worked for.

Well, I’m about to start dieting down as a trial run of how I respond to a “cut” (friends wedding, we’re both going to trim up for the photos and stuff, beach wedding, maybe some “shirtless” photos with the bride LOL), and I want to retain as much of the shape and size I have as possible, which for me means I don’t want to lose that muscle which is giving me the shape (skinfolds around arms/shoulders/chest/legs are all quite good at the moment, just carrying my “excess” around the middle and on my butt).

I don’t give a shit about how quickly I’ll respond afterwards, I’m only focussed on what I’m doing and how I’m going to look now.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Professor X wrote:
pja wrote:
Professor X wrote:

My goal is to be noticeably much leaner by November (date is only significant because I am going to WATCH a local bodybuilding comp and I want to be in shape in the audience). People around me say they can see a difference now but I am always last to see a change.

I remember reading that a lot of guys who compete will use the few weeks after their show to actually rebound and pack on more muscle, and they actully get good quality gains from being in such a dieted down condition/shape. So I think it has to do somewhat to muscle memory in regards to competitors who have dieted before then gained it all back and people who have been in the sport long enough.

I also think it is just the body’s ability to utilize said nutritents from going from a starved state, to being full 24/7. In the end the body will use whatever you feed it to help build and repair everything.

so should the revised recipe for success be squats + milk + colon cleansing?

but anyways, diggin the vascularity