Hair Loss- Causes and Cures?

I hope this qualifies as injury and rehab, if not i gues it can be moved to another topic, but hair loss is sort of an injury and trying to get it back could be considered rehab, so here goes...

I’ve read articles in the past about the causes of male pattern baldness and how one can attempt to reverse it. DHT is the culprit in most scientific literature, so people use finisteride to reduce 5-alpha reductase, and thus reduce their DHT- the only problem with that is you can experience sexual side-effects that can be permanent. I’ve also read literature that blames inflammation for being the culprit, and that anti-inflammatory drugs can be used to combat male pattern baldness and receding hairlines. finally, and more interesting to me is the fact that estradiol or some isomer of it can be to blame. I haven’t seen anything written about this lately. Has that theory been debunked?

Being a 40 year-old, having used P.E.D.s off and on for 20 years, and having both a receding hairline and a small bald spot on the vertex of my scalp, I'm very interested in keeping what I've got. I've used my own concoctions to help reverse it. I tried cayenne-infused olive oil topically, I've put comfrey root powder and ground-up zinc in my hair gel, as well as topical curcuminoids and ginger root among other things.

In conclusion, I feel it's likely that DHT and estradiol can both over-activate a receptor, in turn causing sebaceous glands to become inflamed, swell, and choke off the nerves and blood supply to a hair follicle causing it's death. A combination of an anti-aromatase, a DHT blocker, and a topical anti-inflammatory could work. Any stories others may have regarding concoctions they have made and used would be interesting to me.

I read somewhere that apple cider vinegar applied (diluted with water) to the scalp bi-weekly was helpful.

I’ve researched this topic consistently for the last few years, seeing as how I am prone to hair loss and have a weird looking head.

We’re pretty much fucked.

I’m only 22, and shaved my head for the first time the other day. You’re probably in a better situation than me aesthetically speaking, so just man up and shave that shit!

there is a few experimental/proto type things you can use for your hair basically topical DHT blockers. Aside from that they call it the big three as the only known thing to totally halt anymore hair loss, its as follows for a combo of finisterade, Minox, and hair transplants. There are far more powerful and less side effect prone products coming out in the next few years. Also a possible cure may also be in the works though I forgot the information on that.

If someone could reverse or fix hair loss they would be very very wealthy. I’ve looked at FUE hair transplants, but it’s pretty expensive.

The big 3 as Cstratton2 mentioned can help.

Shaving your head isn’t as cool as everyone says. It’s frigid in winter, plus it looks kind of ugly.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:
I read somewhere that apple cider vinegar applied (diluted with water) to the scalp bi-weekly was helpful.[/quote]

I have used this everyday for over a year. It will get rid of and keep dandruff away, it is good for your hair and scalp, hair feels “better”. I don’t know if it has done anything for hair loss, maybe slow it down, but not sure. But, I will keep using it, it is healthy. I used to have to use a head and shoulders or similar product or I would get dry scalp/dandruff. I now use apple cider vinegar (diluted with water), then baby shampoo with no issues.

A PLer I know at my gym was telling me that as he knew I always took Curcumin for my joints, he had been experimenting with 3g a day, and his hair was noticeably thicker. His girl even noticed and asked if he was doing anything different.

It made me think, that even though I’m already taking 6 cap a day (1.5g), what would happen if I doubled up. I ain’t bald, but damn if I haven’t started thinning the last year (almost 42 here, so most people don’t wanna hear me whine about it though)

S

nizoral shampoo supposedly reduces shedding

Foam roll it.

I remember TC using/recommending a protocol which included Curcumin. Might have been an article…?

[quote]BJBanker wrote:
I remember TC using/recommending a protocol which included Curcumin. Might have been an article…?[/quote]

Yes, here it is: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/altered_states_hair_today_gone_tomorrow

I am also starting to get a bit thin up there.

The only thing I’ve added is a vitamin E tocopherols/tocotrienols. Specifically the tocotrienols are supposed to help for hair.

I do have male pattern baldness so I guess there is only so much I can do.

I started losing my hair at 13, and I gave in and shaved it off at 16. It was definitely the right decision.

1 mg Finasteride + 5% Minoxidil + Nizoral 1%.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
If someone could reverse or fix hair loss they would be very very wealthy.

[/quote]

/case closed. Some men pull off the bald look really well; Sean Connery for example. But for most men it’s not a good look. A receding hairline starting in your mid thirties is okay but some men thin all over on top when they’re quite young - Michael Ironside for instance - and that looks particularly…ah, ugly. Most men nowadays fight back against nature and shave their whole head. As Jim Owen said, two can play at this game. I’m not particularly fond of the shaved head look but as another poster pointed out, it depends on the shape of your head. IMO, it also depends if you have a heavy browline and other features that contribute, with the shaved head, to a “thuggish” look.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[/quote]

/case closed. Some men pull off the bald look really well; Sean Connery for example. But for most men it’s not a good look. A receding hairline starting in your mid thirties is okay but some men thin all over on top when they’re quite young - Michael Ironside for instance - and that looks particularly…ah, ugly. Most men nowadays fight back against nature and shave their whole head. As Jim Owen said, two can play at this game. I’m not particularly fond of the shaved head look but as another poster pointed out, it depends on the shape of your head. IMO, it also depends if you have a heavy browline and other features that contribute, with the shaved head, to a “thuggish” look.[/quote]

I would argue that Yul Brynner was the most handsome bald man. He looked awesome as Pharaoh in The Ten Commandments

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[/quote]

/case closed. Some men pull off the bald look really well; Sean Connery for example. But for most men it’s not a good look. A receding hairline starting in your mid thirties is okay but some men thin all over on top when they’re quite young - Michael Ironside for instance - and that looks particularly…ah, ugly. Most men nowadays fight back against nature and shave their whole head. As Jim Owen said, two can play at this game. I’m not particularly fond of the shaved head look but as another poster pointed out, it depends on the shape of your head. IMO, it also depends if you have a heavy browline and other features that contribute, with the shaved head, to a “thuggish” look.[/quote]

I would argue that Yul Brynner was the most handsome bald man. He looked awesome as Pharaoh in The Ten Commandments
[/quote]

And you would be alone. Yul Brynner was ugly and to me looked sickly. Not even counting athletes, models etc. Boris Kodjoe pulls it off.

As does Patrick Stewart

I’m not a fan of Vin Diesel - in fact, I particularly dislike his movie persona and he’s a bad actor; he’s not a leading man. He should play a “heavy” in films with few lines. But anyway, he pulls off the shaved head look pretty well because he’s got a symmetrical, well shaped skull. If I were a human headhunter I would probably like to have Vin Diesel’s head as a trophy. I think one thing that determines a good bald look is to have good scalp condition; healthy skin on your scalp.