T Nation

Hail the Cornish Game Hen

Just an AWSOME sout out to the Cornish Game hen. Im eating one as we speak and thing they will now be a quick, cheap, easy, and awesome staple in my diet.

Only $1.98 each, packing 560 k/cals, 57 grams of protein, 48 grams of fat only 10 of which is saturated the rest mainly MUFA’s thats 38 grams ther folks. Of course zero carbohydrates.

Spend $20 buck buy ten of the little buggers, cover in sdalt pepper, garlic, etc. even stuff em, roast em all up and freeze of refridge and you can grab a quick meal thats damn good. Add a heaping pile of veggies and fruit and your set

Hail the baby bird in 2007

Oh and its walmrt that has then for less than $2 I think even less if you buy the big old family pack.

Phill

Cornish game hens are THE SHIT. PERIOD

New Year’s Eve dinner at my in-laws’, and we said we’d bring the food. Picked Cornish Game Hens because they’re so easy to deal with.

A suggestion for anyone who hasn’t dealt with them before:

  1. Thaw it; pack the cavity with apple slices; salt and pepper the outside
  2. Wrap in parchment paper (wax paper works)
  3. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil
  4. Throw in a 350-degree oven in a baking dish

The pressure of cooking WILL force liquid out of the package (hence the baking dish to catch it), but the parchment paper prevents the bird from sticking to the foil, and the two layers of wrapping mean the bird won’t dry out if you forget or aren’t sure off how long to cook it. You can forget it and know it won’t overcook.

Just be careful unwrapping it later; the steam will peel the skin off your fingers!

Phill, good call!

So how does one go about cooking one?

Good call man. . . . haven’t had 'em in quite a long time. Lots of Cals, Protein… . . works for me!

-Matt

[quote]TShaw wrote:
New Year’s Eve dinner at my in-laws’, and we said we’d bring the food. Picked Cornish Game Hens because they’re so easy to deal with.

A suggestion for anyone who hasn’t dealt with them before:

  1. Thaw it; pack the cavity with apple slices; salt and pepper the outside
  2. Wrap in parchment paper (wax paper works)
  3. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil
  4. Throw in a 350-degree oven in a baking dish

The pressure of cooking WILL force liquid out of the package (hence the baking dish to catch it), but the parchment paper prevents the bird from sticking to the foil, and the two layers of wrapping mean the bird won’t dry out if you forget or aren’t sure off how long to cook it. You can forget it and know it won’t overcook.

Just be careful unwrapping it later; the steam will peel the skin off your fingers!

Phill, good call![/quote]

Cool – a good way to use a stray Walmart gift card, but it’ll have to wait until I finish my post-holiday-idiocy run with the V-Diet.

How long on the baking time? (as long as you mentioned it.)

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
So how does one go about cooking one?[/quote]

Thaw hens

onen on to 350

put hens in pan

bake for 1 hour 30 mins BINGO. if you stuff it may take a few mins longer. I also cover them with foil after 1 hours.

Add spices and stuffing at will. Salt garlic, pepper and rosemary is a nicve simple combination and dont shy away from spicing the cavity. form there you can get adventurous with other combinations. Fear not the spice rack.

Phill

Cornish game hen is damn good.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Just an AWSOME sout out to the Cornish Game hen. Im eating one as we speak and thing they will now be a quick, cheap, easy, and awesome staple in my diet.

Only $1.98 each, packing 560 k/cals, 57 grams of protein, 48 grams of fat only 10 of which is saturated the rest mainly MUFA’s thats 38 grams ther folks. Of course zero carbohydrates.

Spend $20 buck buy ten of the little buggers, cover in sdalt pepper, garlic, etc. even stuff em, roast em all up and freeze of refridge and you can grab a quick meal thats damn good. Add a heaping pile of veggies and fruit and your set

Hail the baby bird in 2007

Oh and its walmrt that has then for less than $2 I think even less if you buy the big old family pack.

Phill[/quote]

Thanks for the post, Phill. I picked five of them up at walmart after reading your post and I’m gonna have one tonight.
Josh

Yes, thanks very much for the tips, Phill and TShaw. Much appreciated.

[quote]Rykker wrote:
Yes, thanks very much for the tips, Phill and TShaw. Much appreciated.[/quote]

Hey no prob guys eat up im headed to get about 10 myself

Hope you enjoy them,
Phill

I went to wal-mart, and I completely forgot to pick up some cornish game hens. BUT- I got 16.5 pounds of 80/20 groud beef. So I will do ok.

“In financial news Wal-Mart stock rose 3.68 cents per share today setting a new yearly high. Speculation as to why the stock rose so rapid is still in question but some experts suggest it has something to do with the hoards of large men wearing TESTOSTERONE t-shirts suddenly buying Cornish Game Hens by the dozen.”

“In environmental news the Cornish Game Hen was abrubtly added to the endangered species list. Wildlife experts have no clue as to why the birds numbers have suddenly dipped into the Red-Zone.”

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
I went to wal-mart, and I completely forgot to pick up some cornish game hens. BUT- I got 16.5 pounds of 80/20 groud beef. So I will do ok.[/quote]

I think Wal-Mart has the best prices on everthing except beef. I usually only buy beef when it’s on sale at Publix or Albertsons and stock up on 100 lbs or so.

[quote]E-man wrote:
“In financial news Wal-Mart stock rose 3.68 cents per share today setting a new yearly high. Speculation as to why the stock rose so rapid is still in question but some experts suggest it has something to do with the hoards of large men wearing TESTOSTERONE t-shirts suddenly buying Cornish Game Hens by the dozen.”

“In environmental news the Cornish Game Hen was abrubtly added to the endangered species list. Wildlife experts have no clue as to why the birds numbers have suddenly dipped into the Red-Zone.”[/quote]

LOL thanks for the laugh bro

Phill

[quote]E-man wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:
I went to wal-mart, and I completely forgot to pick up some cornish game hens. BUT- I got 16.5 pounds of 80/20 groud beef. So I will do ok.

I think Wal-Mart has the best prices on everthing except beef. I usually only buy beef when it’s on sale at Publix or Albertsons and stock up on 100 lbs or so.

[/quote]

I agree and I also go for 90% plus beef go to local butchers much cheaper in bulk.

Phill