T Nation

Hagel Stepping Down


#1

Thoughts?


#2

It wouldn’t surprise me to find out that the NYT’s contention that Hagel never got “in” past the former campaign advisors and “loyalists” to become part of Obama’s inner circle. It also wouldn’t surprise me that that is precisely what Obama probably wanted after Gates.

Hagel generally had his shortcomings but I’m somewhat sad to see him go. As a former grunt and combat vet I think he was needed–or at least his opinions were needed–at the cabinet level.


#3

“The officials characterized the decision as a recognition that the threat from the militant group Islamic State will require different skills from those that Mr. Hagel . . . was brought in to employ.”

They may wish to appoint someone who has more experience in the practices of counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency.


#4

[quote]Bismark wrote:
“The officials characterized the decision as a recognition that the threat from the militant group Islamic State will require different skills from those that Mr. Hagel . . . was brought in to employ.”

They may wish to appoint someone who has more experience in the practices of counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency.[/quote]

Then I question: why him in the first place? It isn’t like our issues are all that new, no?


#5

[quote]Bismark wrote:
“The officials characterized the decision as a recognition that the threat from the militant group Islamic State will require different skills from those that Mr. Hagel . . . was brought in to employ.”

They may wish to appoint someone who has more experience in the practices of counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency.[/quote]

Doesn’t that sum up Obola’s ineptness and lack of understanding of the Middle East?

So how many fall guys/fall gals are we up to with this admin?


#6

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

Thoughts?[/quote]

Who really cares? His replacement won’t change anything fundamental. As long as a Democrat or Republican is in charge it is business as usual.


#7

[quote]Zeppelin795 wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

Thoughts?[/quote]

Who really cares? His replacement won’t change anything fundamental. As long as a Democrat or Republican is in charge it is business as usual.
[/quote]

And who would you have as Defense Secretary then? Name someone.


#8

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Zeppelin795 wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

Thoughts?[/quote]

Who really cares? His replacement won’t change anything fundamental. As long as a Democrat or Republican is in charge it is business as usual.
[/quote]

And who would you have as Defense Secretary then? Name someone.
[/quote]

Bradley, um, Chealsea Manning.


#9

David Petraeus.


#10

Ashton Carter has been nominated as Hagel’s replacement.

http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/publication/17579/faculty_career_profile.html

Thoughts?


#11

[quote]Bismark wrote:
Ashton Carter has been nominated as Hagel’s replacement.

http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/publication/17579/faculty_career_profile.html

Thoughts?[/quote]

Another academic.

But I think it’s a decent selection. A safe pick. He seems to have a decent relationship with the commanders.


#12

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:

[quote]Bismark wrote:
Ashton Carter has been nominated as Hagel’s replacement.

http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/publication/17579/faculty_career_profile.html

Thoughts?[/quote]

Another academic.

But I think it’s a decent selection. A safe pick. He seems to have a decent relationship with the commanders.
[/quote]

I don’t know if he can be categorized as a mere academic. Look at his CV.


#13

I have no idea if he’s in the running, but I’d like to see the “Mad Dog” get the nod.


#14

[quote]Bismark wrote:

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:

[quote]Bismark wrote:
Ashton Carter has been nominated as Hagel’s replacement.

http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/publication/17579/faculty_career_profile.html

Thoughts?[/quote]

Another academic.

But I think it’s a decent selection. A safe pick. He seems to have a decent relationship with the commanders.
[/quote]

I don’t know if he can be categorized as a mere academic. Look at his CV. [/quote]

Ugggg.


#15

[quote]Bismark wrote:

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:

[quote]Bismark wrote:
Ashton Carter has been nominated as Hagel’s replacement.

http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/publication/17579/faculty_career_profile.html

Thoughts?[/quote]

Another academic.

But I think it’s a decent selection. A safe pick. He seems to have a decent relationship with the commanders.
[/quote]

I don’t know if he can be categorized as a mere academic. Look at his CV. [/quote]

I did. Don’t you think he’s better suited for State?


#16

[quote]Bismark wrote:
Ashton Carter has been nominated as Hagel’s replacement.

http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/publication/17579/faculty_career_profile.html

Thoughts?[/quote]

Not Jesse Ventura? Damn those globalists! Well Ashton Kutcher did make some cool films too I suppose.