T Nation

Hagakure

Anyone else ever read Hagakure? Which were your favorite comments? I liked:

Common sense will not accomplish great things. Simply become insane and desperate.

Yeah I did. I enjoyed it.

I remember writing one out (can’t find the book just now) but this is it;

At first putting forth great effort to be sure that you have grasped the basics, then practicing so that they may come to fruition is something that will never stop for your whole lifetime. Do not rely on following the degree of understanding that you have discovered, but simply think, �??This is not enough.�??

[quote]swissrugby67 wrote:
Yeah I did. I enjoyed it.

I remember writing one out (can’t find the book just now) but this is it;

At first putting forth great effort to be sure that you have grasped the basics, then practicing so that they may come to fruition is something that will never stop for your whole lifetime. Do not rely on following the degree of understanding that you have discovered, but simply think, â¿¿This is not enough.â¿¿

[/quote]

That’s a good one too. The complete comment is:

It is not good to settle into a set of opinions. It is a mistake to put forth effort and obtain some understanding and then stop at that. At first putting forth great effort to be sure that you have grasped the bastes, then practicing so that they may come to fruition is something that will never stop for your whole lifetime. Do not rely on following the degree of understanding that you have discovered, but simply think, “This is not enough.”
One should search throughout his whole life how best to follow the Way. And he should study, setting his mind to work without putting things off. Within this is the Way.

Ah yes, true. Found the book. Also liked this:

Being superior to others is nothing other than having people talk about your affairs and listening to their opinions. The general run of people settle for their own opinions and thus never excel. Having a discussion with a person is one step in excelling him, A certain person discussed with me the written materials at the clan office. He is better than someone like me in writing and researching. In seeking correction from others, you excel them.

What’s the one about… a man of great strength does not need military tactics? I can’t find it.

“There are no military tactics for a man of great strength.”
Chapter 11.

Chapter 3:
Covetousness, anger and foolishness are things to sort out well. When bad things happen in the world, if you look at them comparatively, they are not unrelated to these three things. Looking comparatively at the good things, you will see that they are not excluded from wisdom, humanity and bravery .

What things a person should be able to accomplish if he had no haughtiness concerning his place in society!

Here’s an online version I go to a lot:

http://users.tkk.fi/~renko/hag1.html

It’s 4:30 in the morning here. I’m going to bed, and I’ll pick up again later.

Good shit though…

It’s good, but I do really get the stories about retainers going to fetch water and what not. Maybe I’m missing some meaning underlying theme, but I always wondered what the hell was the point of including these.

The gay shit could have been left out too.

It should really just have been made into a poster with comments sorted by what category of life they apply to;

“Work” “Love” “Friendship”…“Sounding cool at a bar trying to impress chicks”

Erm. yeah. I mean… totally deep.