Hack Squats?

I’ve never seen anyone do the barbell Hack Squat, is it better or worse than the plated Hack Squat? Also, when doing barbell Hack Squats can you do the gironda frog Hack Squat too?

The barbell version activates shoulder and arm muscles and requires stabilty and balance so I would consider it superior. Of course, you may be able to use a heavier load in a plate loaded sled. Why not just do both?

I suspect a “frog legged” barbell hack squat would be interesting to say the least. If you try it, start with “fly” weights. ;^)

[quote]fartmonkey64 wrote:
I’ve never seen anyone do the barbell Hack Squat, is it better or worse than the plated Hack Squat? Also, when doing barbell Hack Squats can you do the gironda frog Hack Squat too?[/quote]

It depends on your goals. For over all strentgh and power go with the barbell variety. For isolating the quads I’d say the machine variety are better. I use them from frog stance hacks. My VM needs the most work on my legs, so I use the machine.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
fartmonkey64 wrote:
I’ve never seen anyone do the barbell Hack Squat, is it better or worse than the plated Hack Squat? Also, when doing barbell Hack Squats can you do the gironda frog Hack Squat too?

It depends on your goals. For over all strentgh and power go with the barbell variety. For isolating the quads I’d say the machine variety are better. I use them from frog stance hacks. My VM needs the most work on my legs, so I use the machine.[/quote]

Right now I get along of hamstring work so for hack squats I use the machine to really isolate my quads…trying to prevent imbalances. I am a full body workout guy so my whole body gets tons of work with other exercises.