T Nation

Hack Squats

OK this might have been, Sure it has been excplained, but I can't find it in the search. I tried hack squats with a barbell today and kept hitting my hamstrings and my ass. I really need to find a way to do these I really think they will be useful. however I Pulled the bar from the floor and had a hard time not hitting my hammies. the only time I could not hit them was to pull with my hands almost inside my legs and still then I was unable to keep things smooth. can someone show me a vid or give me a better idea of how to do things. thanks BB

I do better using a cambered bar.

They take awhile to get used to but keep at it. If you put your heels on say a 25lb plate you can work on your motion better,and that will hit the quads more direct.

Thrust your hips out at the top of the movement.

These are called hack lifts, not hack squats and the more you practice the better you'll get. It's like DL's: every once in a while your going to smack yourself with the bar. It's okay. Scars are cool.

Just a quick note on terminology? these are more commonly called hack squats, not hack lifts. I'm my 20+ years in this industry I've never even heard the term "hack lift."