T Nation

Hack Squat Conversions

Yesterday I did 635# for my 4th and last set of 10 on the hack squat machine (facing in), and all sets were full ass-to-ground squats. Is there a rough estimate or some formula to estimate what that would be on the back squat?

I am estimating the weight at 635# with 12x45# plates, 2x25# plates, and am just guessing the weight of the empty device to be 45#. I have a hand injury right now so I can’t grasp a barbell to do normal squats, but would like to see where about my regular squat should be. Thanks

Way too many variables to give you even a reasonable estimate.

If you’ve never squatted before, then your weights are going to a LOT less, so be careful and start light.

Divide by 3 andthats your best MAX squat.

Leg press and hack machines are ego boosting toys.

zero.

[quote]LetsGoDuke wrote:
Is there a rough estimate or some formula to estimate what that would be on the back squat?[/quote]

No.

I do back squats normally, but again I have just had this hand thing for a few weeks and was looking to keep working my legs as best I could. Obviously the two exercises - squat and hack squat - are not the same and I know doing 500# on the hack squat is no where near being able to do 500# in a normal back squat. Was just seeing if anyone had some insight - apparently not.

Also, not that it matters but my max squat is 430# to the ground - dividing 635 by 3 is just over 200#. I think that formula may be flawed.

[quote]LetsGoDuke wrote:
Also, not that it matters but my max squat is 430# to the ground - dividing 635 by 3 is just over 200#. I think that formula may be flawed.[/quote]

If you have enough information to say that 1/3 is the wrong ratio for hack sq -> bb sq convention than you should also be able to use that same information to make a reasonable estimate.

If your 1RM squat was 430 a few weeks ago, what makes you think it has changed much? I would not expect the machine hack squat to have a good transfer to the barbell squat, so any increase in the hack squat since your injury will not lead to a higher squat.

For someone that has never squatted before the 1/3 ratio seems like a good upper limit for a max squat. More than likely it would be even less.

[quote]Fuzzy-47 wrote:
Divide by 3 andthats your best MAX squat.

Leg press and hack machines are ego boosting toys.[/quote]

Like I said above, I think that your estimate is a good upper limit for squats for a real beginner, however hack machines can be useful tools. They are a really bad choice for making your squats go up, but they can help make your legs bigger.

I dont understand how a wrist injury prevents you from squatting, yet still using the hack squat machine wich a I presume requires you to move your hand.

Since you’ve only been off for a couple weeks and you used to perform back squats your squat is probably equal or maybe 5-10 lbs greater than it was before. Also as other posters said I don’t see how a wrist injury prevents you from squatting… you could always go lighter if it bothers you that much, unless of course that’s just an excuse because squats are “hard”.

1 Like

Total load = (Plates + Sled) x Sin(Sled Angle)

So, if you put 900 lbs of weight on a 100 lb sled at a 45 degree angle the load would be 1000 lbs times the Sin of 45 degrees (.707). The total load is 707 lbs. You could add your upper body weight too, but your also lifting that in the back squat.

How that would translate into back squat numbers I don’t know. The stability muscles are out of the picture making it hard to judge.