[quote]PGA wrote:

[/quote]

My HERO!!

Should be every American’s home page.

Long live the internet

badass.

That OKC video always astonishes me.

I love the net…that was brilliant.

Brilliant. My thoughts with less explicitives.

Someone’s paranoid

YEA BUDDY!!!

GO HENRY!

I’ve always liked Henry Rollins… this reminds me why; you’ve gotta love the “fuck you” attitude when it comes to this sort of thing. I’d like to get Henry Rollins, Greg Graffin, and maybe Michale Graves–just to stir the pot–in a room together.

I am not sure Net neutrality is the best name for it.

Hell yeah.

That’s one URL that demands to be spammed world-wide.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:

I am not sure Net neutrality is the best name for it. [/quote]

It pretty much is. Fucking Telcos trying to rip people off.

[quote]PGA wrote:

Agreed

Uh. Okay? I’m a little confused what that was supposed to be. A public service announcement? Sound advice from someone I’m supposed to listen to? Somehow I think he did that entire rant to give him an exuse to say ‘F#uck you’ to Carl Rove (aka Baby Huey).

Just another symtom that our nation and the world is becoming a vast wasteland populated with people like this.

[quote]DS 007 wrote:
Just another symtom that our nation and the world is becoming a vast wasteland populated with people like this.
[/quote]

The problem is that we don’t have enough people with balls who understand and are willing to speak up about issues like this.

Freedom of speech is a bitch. I’m glad it disturbs people like you–it lets me know who to ignore.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
DS 007 wrote:

The problem is that we don’t have enough people with balls who understand and are willing to speak up about issues like this.

Freedom of speech is a bitch. I’m glad it disturbs people like you–it lets me know who to ignore.[/quote]

Who are people like me? What am I like? I’ve written a total of about six sentences on this board and you already know exactly where I’m coming from because I don’t agree with Henry Rollins or the way that he chooses to frame his arguments.

This stuff is just a modern version of an age old schtick. Except now we use profanity to get attention.

You are right, though. Freedom of speech is bitch. Although if you are looking for someone to “listen to” the Rollins’ precious and sacred internet may not be the best place for it.

[quote]DS 007 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
DS 007 wrote:

Freedom of speech is a bitch. I’m glad it disturbs people like you–it lets me know who to ignore.

Who are people like me? What am I like? I’ve written a total of about six sentences on this board and you already know exactly where I’m coming from because I don’t agree with Henry Rollins or the way that he chooses to frame his arguments.

This stuff is just a modern version of an age old schtick. Except now we use profanity to get attention.

You are right, though. Freedom of speech is bitch. Although if you are looking for someone to “listen to” the Rollins’ precious and sacred internet may not be the best place for it.[/quote]

Where is the best place then? What points of contention do you have with what he is saying other than the expletives? and exactly what do you mean by people like him?

[quote]storey420 wrote:
DS 007 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
DS 007 wrote:

You are right, though. Freedom of speech is bitch. Although if you are looking for someone to “listen to” the Rollins’ precious and sacred internet may not be the best place for it.

Where is the best place then? What points of contention do you have with what he is saying other than the expletives? and exactly what do you mean by people like him?[/quote]

Public discourse is always good. Face to face conversation. Townhall meetings. Churches (gasp!). Schools. Phone calls to your congressman. I’m just one that’s not ready to call the internet ‘the best place’ for anything.

And by ‘people like’ Rollins I mean reactionaries, alarmists, conpiracy theorists, foul-mouthed people with cursory knowledge of what’s going on that people with less knowledge regard as experts. I don’t mean people with tattoos or people with dark hair. I knw we all want to see a bigot in the turn of every phrase, but sometimes they are just not there.

[quote]DS 007 wrote:
And by ‘people like’ Rollins I mean reactionaries, alarmists, conpiracy theorists, foul-mouthed people with cursory knowledge of what’s going on that people with less knowledge regard as experts. I don’t mean people with tattoos or people with dark hair. I knw we all want to see a bigot in the turn of every phrase, but sometimes they are just not there.[/quote]

In terms of public discourse Mr. Rollins is very informed. This is how he makes his living. You can ignore the message because you don’t like the way he states his opinion which is fine. He isn’t speaking for people like you. He speaks to the under-represented.

You shouldn’t get your panties in such a wad about language. It is only a convention and it doesn’t mean anything. The fact that it doesn’t lend anything useful other than allowing for a more colorful description doesn’t hurt his argument. He speaks the way real people speak. You have been blinded by political correctness.