T Nation

Gyno at 18, Does This Mean Low T?

Hey there. I apologize for making this my first post in here, but ive been lurking around for a year so, and now i would appreciate some help from the gurus :slight_smile:

Thing is, i’ve been working out since the age of 14 - back them, i had some natural puberty gyno, pretty common i guess. It went away on its own. Now, after going from chest/biceps routines and other crap for 3 years (not proud of my first years as a lifter …), i started a good powerlifting program 3 months ago, and gains have been absolutely outstanding, the amount of strength i have gained is mind blowing, compared to the stuff i did before ! :slight_smile:

To paint a picture of how bad it was before powerlifting, i did my first squats when i began the new program, except for a few half-assed seesions with 5kg on each side couple a times a year … :stuck_out_tongue:

The thing is though; this may be broscience, but i feel i have become more aggressive after starting this program, libido is higher, and so forth… i am showing some correlating symptoms with gear use, ever since lifting hard and heavy with the big 3, whilst eating 5k calories with lots of sat fat and protein. 2 weeks ago, left nipple felt sore, and now a small lump has developed, sore as hell ??? How can this happen? I have used absolutely nothing except food?

I am going to see the doc with this gyno thing, because im not fond of the idea of man tits - but does this new occurence of gyno mean, that i have low T levels? My doc will not agree to a hormone test, because im only 18… he says its unnecessary. Maybe i could get him to take one if i told him i had used gear, but it seems silly lying about being on gear just to get a test … nvm.

Im more worried about my T levels, since i do not want to have my gains stagnating !! Could this be a sign of low T, a sort of response to the surges i have been feeling after eating and training right ?

These are my stats;
bw 217 lbs
bf around 10%

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/youve_got_maletitties You might find this informative.

Doh … not the most encouraging thread, however very informative ! :slight_smile: After reading it, i almost feel like my only option is surgery ?? I was however a bit puzzled about the “when surgery is the only way” point - is it when, like me, you have a small lump under your nipple, or is it when it actually looks like some of the pictures in the video, because my case is nowhere as bad. It is sore though …

In that extensive list of stats you somehow omitted your age.
If you’re under 21 it’s just a developmental thing, lots if people get bumps below one or both nipples as they develop and it is nothing to worry about, they can go come and go.

Also “lifting hard and heavy with the big 3, whilst eating 5k calories with lots of sat fat and protein” will increase natural testosterone levels, obviously.

[quote]0908995s wrote:
In that extensive list of stats you somehow omitted your age.
If you’re under 21 it’s just a developmental thing, lots if people get bumps below one or both nipples as they develop and it is nothing to worry about, they can go come and go.

Also “lifting hard and heavy with the big 3, whilst eating 5k calories with lots of sat fat and protein” will increase natural testosterone levels, obviously.[/quote]

The title says he is 18. His age is also included in his post: “because im only 18…”.

Peter

Don’t worry too much about it. You’re so young and you body is still adjusting to all the processes going on. Let it do its thing.

My son had really bad gyno a couple of years ago. He never took his shirt off (even in the pool). But now he’s 20 and his gyno has disappeared.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Peter

Don’t worry too much about it. You’re so young and you body is still adjusting to all the processes going on. Let it do its thing.

My son had really bad gyno a couple of years ago. He never took his shirt off (even in the pool). But now he’s 20 and his gyno has disappeared.[/quote]

Agreed. This why the usual advice for many teens is to wait until out of puberty.

If it is small, it could go away. Mine did not.

Hmm … So you think i should just play it out? I just worry, that if i let it sort itself out, it may escalate and reach a point where surgery is inevitable?

I’ve done some homework since i made the post - even though it seems logical to me that low T and high estrogen would be the cause of my gyno, it seems it could also be a symptom of high natural T, due to the aromatizing process - that theory correlates with my symptoms of heightened T from training and diet. Could that be the case ? I wouldn’t mind a naturally high level of T :slight_smile:

If the above is true, and please feel free to correct me if the above is completely preposterous, it just seemed like a logical conclusion from the material i read on the subject, would some of the PCT products that geared people use to control estrogen help my case? Perhaps and aromatize inhibitor, or an estrogen blocker?

I thank you for your help! This is sort of a sensitive issue for me, and i dont see many people around with my problem - i can definetly understand the taboo surrounding this topic!

I am not making a direct recommendation to you because I haven’t SEEN what your “gyno” looks like.

Yes, you can get gyno from too much testosterone being aromatized naturally.

In some cases, those PCT hormones you mentioned can reduce gyno that is just presenting (like when someone first notices it on a steroid cycle). It can not reduce gyno that has been there for a while.

Yeah, this subject used to be taboo. I don’t see anyone here making fun of it lately though…especially since I mentioned the stat of at least 60% of the men in this country having some form of it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I am not making a direct recommendation to you because I haven’t SEEN what your “gyno” looks like.

Yes, you can get gyno from too much testosterone being aromatized naturally.

In some cases, those PCT hormones you mentioned can reduce gyno that is just presenting (like when someone first notices it on a steroid cycle). It can not reduce gyno that has been there for a while.

Yeah, this subject used to be taboo. I don’t see anyone here making fun of it lately though…especially since I mentioned the stat of at least 60% of the men in this country having some form of it.[/quote]

Well, tbh you cant see much difference from right (no gyno/lump/paint) to left one (sore as hell, tiny hard lump). I can feel it, and if i look really close, the nipple looks somewhat different from the lump underneath it. This is the reason i hope to catch it in its youth - the problem appeared only 2 weeks ago, and there were no indications of gyno before that, not counting the minor issues i had at the onset of puberty, which luckily disappeared on their own.

Do you think my doctor will prescribe a PCT product, if i come to him with my problem? I really do not want to let this thing reach its full potential! I guess i could get my hands on some of these products from other places than the docs, but thats a route id rather not take - it would also require self-medication, and since i dont use gear, this seems a bit extreme. I do however not wish to let this develop into something requiring surgery … Would there be any side effects of taking an estrogen blocker or inhibitor for the purposes of trying to combat this development? Would i experience side effects after seizing with the medication, such as lowered hormone levels, irattional test function etc? I guess what im trying to ask is, if the side effects of attempting a “cycle” of only a PCT product are minor, and does not screw too much with my natural hormone regulations, would it be worth a shot even though it is not guaranteed to help in my case ?

Gyno seems to be really symtomatic of the obesity epidemic and the sedentary lifestyle of our young people.
Regarding testosterone aromatizing and causeing gyno.This is possible ,but with the new technology and aromataze blocker’s this issue theoretically should be a non entity. Eviromental estrogens are also being introduced into our water and food system. I personally have never while taking testosterone got gyno,but i was hurt and disabled at one time and got really Fat.That was the only time i experienced the pre-curser symtom’s of gyno.
My dr. injected the gyno/fat whatever with Depo-medrol(Cortisone) The lump went away.I am not saying this is a cure,but for a $5.00-mg vial it’s cheap.Cortisone is catabolic who know’s it’s a home remedy. john

Peter go see your dr.I believe your gyno is a result of being young and possibly overweight. Perter a lot of young men through no falt of their own develope gyno. The health care system will treat you,but if you take steroids then the insurance will say your condition is a result of outside issues. gyno is breast tissue.The only remedy is to have sergury.depending on the length of time you have permanent tissue. these drug’s mentioned are for preventitive and early stage water accumulation. If you try the drug’s ,dont say you took anything,as your insurance will try to blame you. see ya john

[quote]johnny k53 wrote:
Peter go see your dr.I believe your gyno is a result of being young and possibly overweight. Perter a lot of young men through no falt of their own develope gyno. The health care system will treat you,but if you take steroids then the insurance will say your condition is a result of outside issues. gyno is breast tissue.The only remedy is to have sergury.depending on the length of time you have permanent tissue. these drug’s mentioned are for preventitive and early stage water accumulation. If you try the drug’s ,dont say you took anything,as your insurance will try to blame you. see ya john[/quote]

Well, i am definitely not fat. Here is a relaxed pic of me. As you see its not that bad. I just hope that maybe those PCT products could help me, but i dont know… Ill def. give the doc a call.

[quote]peter2 wrote:

[quote]johnny k53 wrote:
Peter go see your dr.I believe your gyno is a result of being young and possibly overweight. Perter a lot of young men through no falt of their own develope gyno. The health care system will treat you,but if you take steroids then the insurance will say your condition is a result of outside issues. gyno is breast tissue.The only remedy is to have sergury.depending on the length of time you have permanent tissue. these drug’s mentioned are for preventitive and early stage water accumulation. If you try the drug’s ,dont say you took anything,as your insurance will try to blame you. see ya john[/quote]

Well, i am definitely not fat. Here is a relaxed pic of me. As you see its not that bad. I just hope that maybe those PCT products could help me, but i dont know… Ill def. give the doc a call.
[/quote]

Dude you look a lot better than most 18 year old guys… I think you are worrying about it too much. I’d be stoked if I looked like that. But if it bothers you, then its up to you. Thats all.

That is purely cosmetic and within “normal” limits. Yes, you can have surgery if you plan to compete or do modeling and it bothers you, but I would not call that “gyno”.