T Nation

Gynecomastia Surgery

I would have posted this in the T-Cell sticky but I do not have access. So here it is: I am getting a surgery to remove my pubertal gynecomastia soon but have not decided on which surgeon yet. I have a few questions in regards to it, if you can help me out.

I found out recently that because my insurance views gynecomastia as a “breast issue” instead of a “cosmetic procedure,” that they will be able to cover it. The problem is, the surgeons I have consulted with have a different opinion on the matter. They are not too thrilled about dealing with gynecomastia and believe because it does not cause me “pain or tumors” it is not worth doing. They also only specialize in “general surgery.” Regardless, they have told me that they can remove the gland. However, they do not want to remove the entire gland in fear it may cause my nipples to invert. The general surgeons also warned that it could give my chest an indent appearance in the middle.

Questions:

1. Has anyone gotten this procedure through a general surgeon?
  2. Is it not necessary to remove the entire gland in order to treat gynecomastia?
  3. Also, after you got your gynecomastia surgery, how did your chest react when you would cut and bulk?

There is no way in hell you should go to a general surgeon for a COSMETIC PROCEDURE especially if you ever plan on building a physique that may be seen in pictures or on stage.

Go to a plastic surgeon and pay the difference. Your wallet may not like it, but your mirror image will.

I also don’t think an "inverted nipple is that much of a concern for a BODYBUILDER. Your chest should be big enough for it to be filled out anyway unless the issue is severe.

[quote]toolhead wrote:
I would have posted this in the T-Cell sticky but I do not have access. So here it is: I am getting a surgery to remove my pubertal gynecomastia soon but have not decided on which surgeon yet. I have a few questions in regards to it, if you can help me out.

I found out recently that because my insurance views gynecomastia as a “breast issue” instead of a “cosmetic procedure,” that they will be able to cover it. The problem is, the surgeons I have consulted with have a different opinion on the matter. They are not too thrilled about dealing with gynecomastia and believe because it does not cause me “pain or tumors” it is not worth doing. They also only specialize in “general surgery.” Regardless, they have told me that they can remove the gland. However, they do not want to remove the entire gland in fear it may cause my nipples to invert. The general surgeons also warned that it could give my chest an indent appearance in the middle.

Questions:

1. Has anyone gotten this procedure through a general surgeon?
  2. Is it not necessary to remove the entire gland in order to treat gynecomastia?
  3. Also, after you got your gynecomastia surgery, how did your chest react when you would cut and bulk?
    [/quote]

The results sound like they’re going to be worse than what you have now. Definitely go with a doc who specializes in gyno reduction.

Thanks gentlemen, I guess I was just growing too desperate. Screw it, I’ll find a way to afford a professional who specializes in gynecomastia.

Two of my questions still stand though:

1. Is it necessary to remove the entire gland? I ask because some experts have advised not to do that. Yet, I know the only treatment is to have it COMPLETELY removed.

2. After getting gyne surgery, how did your chest respond to cutting/bulking? Does it grow and get ripped like a normal chest or will a change in fat and muscle cause contour issues?

If you can get up to Lansing, MI i suggest Dr. John Crisler. His procedure has been proven to be effective and less expensive than many “cosmetic” surgeons. I don’t work for him, or get anything for advertising for him, but i am a patient, and recommend him. Check him out at allthingsmale.com worth a few clicks anyway.

I assume you read the entire T-Cell thread about this, but also make sure to check out gynecomastia.org. Lots of info can be found there, as well as some of the best doctors in your area. Some of them even answer question online regularly.

I am now just concerned about how changing my body composition is going to affect my chest after I get the surgery done. A surgeon on gynecomastia.org has advised me to find a weight I am pleased with and to stay with it because a fluctuation in weight/fat-percentage may cause contour issues.

Yet, all the fun in bodybuilding is to change that weight and body fat percentage. For the people who have had this surgery done (excision of the gland), how did your chest react in phases of cutting and bulking?

I think it depends on the elaticity of your skin post-surgery. I’m hoping to get it done befre the spring time but that is a good question.

[quote]cmay825 wrote:
If you can get up to Lansing, MI i suggest Dr. John Crisler. His procedure has been proven to be effective and less expensive than many “cosmetic” surgeons. I don’t work for him, or get anything for advertising for him, but i am a patient, and recommend him. Check him out at allthingsmale.com worth a few clicks anyway.[/quote]

I agree, I am also a patient, and while I do not need the surgury my brother does. I talked to Dr. Crisler about it for my brother, and the cost was less than half of what a local plastic surgeon was going to charge. My brother talked to him recently, and I think the ost was about $2000.00, so he is flying up after the 1st to have it done. Do not use a gneral surgeon. They have alot less experience and like prof X said, that is one surgury that you do not want to look botched up. Check out some horror stories on the net. Good luck.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
I assume you read the entire T-Cell thread about this, but also make sure to check out gynecomastia.org. Lots of info can be found there, as well as some of the best doctors in your area. Some of them even answer question online regularly.[/quote]
Hey thanks foir the site. I’m coming into some money(lawsuit I fell down a flight of stairs at work herniated 3 discs and lost feeling in my left leg) and I was thinking of splurging on some surgeries I’ve wanted since I was a teenager I’m checking out that site. What is roughly the cost of seeing a good surgeon? I don’t want to get raped but I want to not look like the Frankenstein’s Monster either

Can vary. I have heard from about $4k up to about $12k.

I have actually just scheduled my appt for the beginning of December. It comes in at just below $5k.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

I assume you read the entire T-Cell thread about this, but also make sure to check out gynecomastia.org. Lots of info can be found there, as well as some of the best doctors in your area. Some of them even answer question online regularly.[/quote]
Hey thanks foir the site. I’m coming into some money(lawsuit I fell down a flight of stairs at work herniated 3 discs and lost feeling in my left leg) and I was thinking of splurging on some surgeries I’ve wanted since I was a teenager I’m checking out that site. What is roughly the cost of seeing a good surgeon? I don’t want to get raped but I want to not look like the Frankenstein’s Monster either[/quote]

You sued them cause your ass fell down a flight of stairs?!? Thats your fault… even though you’ll win thats pretty fucked up. Unless for some reason they decided to rub grease all up the rails and steps.

[quote]Amiright wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

Hey thanks foir the site. I’m coming into some money(lawsuit I fell down a flight of stairs at work herniated 3 discs and lost feeling in my left leg) and I was thinking of splurging on some surgeries I’ve wanted since I was a teenager I’m checking out that site. What is roughly the cost of seeing a good surgeon? I don’t want to get raped but I want to not look like the Frankenstein’s Monster either[/quote]

You sued them cause your ass fell down a flight of stairs?!? Thats your fault… even though you’ll win thats pretty fucked up. Unless for some reason they decided to rub grease all up the rails and steps. [/quote]
No I sued because of the fact that the stairs weren’t properly maintained the railing was loose and the floor wasn’t clean but thanks for trying