Gyms/Trainers in the UK

looks a bit too shiny

(please dont hit me!)

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
about 45 mins on the train from london:

www.monstergym.co.uk[/quote]

The link explains your avatar.

As far as Manchester is concerned, I do NOT recommend Sugden Sport Center, the one near Uni, even though its got pretty much all u need [except a good calf machine!]. Not only its always packed out but also full of students who know as much about hardcore, serious training regime as how to be sober on friday night. Having said that i av to admit I am a student myself, and I only go there cause its cheap and gives u good value for money

I’ll stay away from there then! Do u know of any good ones? Preferably south manchester?

Not too sure m8, apparently there is a good Virgin gym in Didsbury [might be a bit flashy if u don’t like non-nonsense gyms with plenty of cardio stuff] but its pretty expensive, 40 quid a month or so, not too busy though and excellent equipment

Like them0fo, I am also looking for decent gyms. I am moving from Virginia USA to Bristol Uk in a couple of months and I have visited Bristol with sad news about gyms. Can anyone suggest any? I could not find a real one in the few days I was there.
Thanks

(Hey guys I am new to T-Nation and this is my first post. So forgive me if I mess something up.)

[quote]Youch wrote:
them0fo wrote:
Can anyone recommend any decent weight-lifting gyms (rather than ‘fitness’ gyms) in the UK - and more specifically, in and around London…?

I’d also like to know if there are any good strength coaches that are based over here as I’m fed up of training in a David Lloyd gym where no one seems to do any ‘proper’ work like squats or deadlifts…

Thanks

Hi,
I have a home gym, really structured for Powerlifting and you’re welcome to come over and have a session.

I’ve got 25 years experience and I try to get out to Ohio every year to train at Westside Barbell, I’ll gladly help if I can.

I live in Streatham Hill, so not too far.

Drop me a PM if you’re interested.

Cheers,
Chris[/quote]

lol! I used to go to Dunraven as a kid :wink:

if anyone is in bromley/beckenham area, westwickham mytime gym isnt too bad, the weight room is seperate and hidden from the dweebs in the fitness room. it has a squat rack, loads of plates and a decent bench, chins/dips, DBs to 50kg, i can use chalk and squat/dead barefoot (helps that i know some of the ‘trainers’ there). yes, it is a comercial chain aimed at everyone else, but its the only weight room around here. best times are between 6.30am- 4.00pm weekdays.

I also train at a David Lloyd gym (in Cheam, just down the road from Sutton) and have been looking for a place to train more suited to my goals. I hear there are very good facilities at Crystal Palace for more serious lifters, and I’ve also trained at Pinks before as big balls mentioned - it’s very well equipped but the last time I went there I was told I couldn’t use chalk!

[quote]Dave_ wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
about 45 mins on the train from london:

+1

That’s where I train.

[/quote]

“dumbells from 1kg to 150kg”

“15 tonnes of plated weights”

That’s what I’m talking about.

Dam, never new we had this big a UK member base lol

[quote]redzhark wrote:
Like them0fo, I am also looking for decent gyms. I am moving from Virginia USA to Bristol Uk in a couple of months and I have visited Bristol with sad news about gyms. Can anyone suggest any? I could not find a real one in the few days I was there.
Thanks

(Hey guys I am new to T-Nation and this is my first post. So forgive me if I mess something up.)[/quote]

Of all places, why the hell would you move to Bristol?

LR

Good thread, I’m thinking about moving to London in about a years time

Being a broke student in London, I can only dream of going to gyms that have dumbbells heavier than 50kg. I workout in a uni gym at Euston, The only equipments that I use are the rack, smiths and the dumbbells for shoulder and bicep work. Monster Gym…sigh…

No one from bonnie Scotland kicking about on T-Nation?

[quote] Brook wrote:
Youch wrote:
them0fo wrote:
Can anyone recommend any decent weight-lifting gyms (rather than ‘fitness’ gyms) in the UK - and more specifically, in and around London…?

I’d also like to know if there are any good strength coaches that are based over here as I’m fed up of training in a David Lloyd gym where no one seems to do any ‘proper’ work like squats or deadlifts…

Thanks

Hi,
I have a home gym, really structured for Powerlifting and you’re welcome to come over and have a session.

I’ve got 25 years experience and I try to get out to Ohio every year to train at Westside Barbell, I’ll gladly help if I can.

I live in Streatham Hill, so not too far.

Drop me a PM if you’re interested.

Cheers,
Chris

lol! I used to go to Dunraven as a kid ;)[/quote]

I went to Dunraven too!! From 1977-82, what years were you there?
Chris

[quote]Element_26 wrote:
I also train at a David Lloyd gym (in Cheam, just down the road from Sutton) and have been looking for a place to train more suited to my goals. I hear there are very good facilities at Crystal Palace for more serious lifters, and I’ve also trained at Pinks before as big balls mentioned - it’s very well equipped but the last time I went there I was told I couldn’t use chalk![/quote]

Hi,
I used to train, and work in that area. I’m surprised that Pinks don’t allow chalk but then I haven’t trained there for over 10 years.

The National Sports Centre at Crystal Palace is fine if you want to be an Olympic Lifter but is pretty poor for anything else; frankly my home gym is better.

It was about 7 years ago when I last went in but David Lloyds looked OK when I saw it; obviously you won’t get a hardcore training atmosphere there but for the piss poor standards of the UK it’s pretty good.

Chris

Thanks for clarifying that Youch, I have never been to Crystal Palace personally but had heard that it catered for strength athletes.

I’ve only trained at Pinks a couple of times and it’s possible that the trainer that told me that I couldn’t use chalk was just being anal. It definitely has a more hardcore atmosphere there than David Lloyd, but as you say the latter is reasonably well equipped. The only problem I have with it is that I’m one of the stronger guys at that gym (and I’m really very weak myself) and I prefer training with more experienced lifters who are throwing around more weight than I am!

[quote]Taufiq wrote:
Being a broke student in London, I can only dream of going to gyms that have dumbbells heavier than 50kg. I workout in a uni gym at Euston, The only equipments that I use are the rack, smiths and the dumbbells for shoulder and bicep work. Monster Gym…sigh…[/quote]

UCL gym?

LR

[quote]Undermost wrote:
No one from bonnie Scotland kicking about on T-Nation?[/quote]

There’s loads of Scotish members here.

LR