Gyms/Trainers in the UK

Can anyone recommend any decent weight-lifting gyms (rather than ‘fitness’ gyms) in the UK - and more specifically, in and around London…?

I’d also like to know if there are any good strength coaches that are based over here as I’m fed up of training in a David Lloyd gym where no one seems to do any ‘proper’ work like squats or deadlifts…

Thanks

Where in London are you?

LR

Good luck with it in London :slight_smile:

City of Manchester has a good few though muhahahahhaa

[quote]300andabove wrote:
Good luck with it in London :slight_smile:

City of Manchester has a good few though muhahahahhaa

[/quote]

Where’s Yates gym situated? Isn’t he the owner of some Temple gym or so? We have a Temple gym half an hour away from my location, I was wondering if it’s the same chain or if they just stole the name :slight_smile:

Birmingham, but going down there odds are you will get shot, so ill leave it off

[quote]300andabove wrote:
Birmingham, but going down there odds are you will get shot, so ill leave it off[/quote]

Dorian hasn’t been shot yet, has he? And he’s down to 210 by now I think.

LR - I’m in the South, near to Wimbledon. Cheers

I don’t know any around there. Maybe RSGZ can help you out, I think he’s from South London.

LR

[quote]Ive trained twice a day following the poliquin principle of planned overtraining – with amazing success. Basically, its laid out with the intention of pounding you into the ground for two weeks with a backoff week after. When i did it the programming i followed was like this:

Day 1 AM 8:45
Widestance Squats 7 x 6-8
Leg Press 5 x 6-8
Hack Squats 5 x 6- 8

Day 1 PM 5:00
a)Leg Ext 4 x 12-20
b)leg curls 4 x 12-20
walking lunge x 100
calves

Day 2 AM
Incline DB Press 7 x 5-8
Dips 4 x 6-8
rotator work 3 x 12-15

Day 2 PM
pec dec 4x12-15
6 Step Push up on smith - 20 reps each stop, 3 up 3 down
rotator work 3 x 12-15

Day 4 AM
Deadlifts 7 x 5
T-Bar 4 x 6-8
barbell Row 4 x 6-8

Day 4 PM
Wide Pulldowns 4 x 12-15
Straight arm pulldowns 4 x 10-12
1 arm cable row 3 x 12-15
calves

Day 5 Am
Clean / Press 7 x 5
Barbell Curl cluster 5 x 1 x 15 sec x 5 (25)
Tricep Close Press cluster 5 x 1 x 15 sec (25)

Day 5 PM
a)dumbbell gironda swings 4 x 12-15
b)reverse pec dec 4 x 12-15
a)incline curls 3 x 10-12
b)high pulley curls 3 x 10-12
a)pressdowns 3 x 10-12
b) overhead extensions 3 x 10-12

This will fry you – you need to make sure you are using proper recovery techniques, but realize this is designed to kick you in the dirt – 2 weeks on, back off week, then back for two more weeks.

Thanks[/quote]

Hi, I definatley want to give this program a test run but first could you clarify what the day 5 A.M rep schemes are and what you mean by “cluster?” Also is it true that during the two weeks after the one week off you’re supposed to cut back on volume? If so, by how much? I look forward to start this program as soon as these questions are clarified, thank you for your time!!

When I lived in London i worked out here in Covent Garden…

http://www.jubileehallclubs.co.uk/jhc_coventgarden/covent_intro.htm

GooD gym, good post workout food and pretty serious lifters for the most part.

I used to occasionally (when I was in London, lived 45 minutes away) go to a real basement gym/weight room, was tucked into a brick building in a schoolyard down the street from the Hammersmith tube stop, might have been on Fulham Road, whatever the big high street is there. Small, cramped, only open in the evening, but kind of a cool place to train.

Real old school, old weights, minimal machines, faded Arnold posters on the wall, had all the basics. Cool place to train. I think they called themselves the “Morecambe Powerlifting Club”. Not sure if it’s still open though.

There’s also a Fitness First right around from the Hammersmith and City line stop there. Fitness First is OK, has most essentials, but gets busy, and good luck finding a real power rack in one.

[quote]London Runner wrote:
I don’t know any around there. Maybe RSGZ can help you out, I think he’s from South London.

LR[/quote]

I just got back from a holiday and my gym is closed till next Monday…fuckers.

Anyway I go to a Fusion in Surrey Quays which is small but does the job - there are a few of them around but the others I’ve been to are all shit so I can’t help much.

theres a place in bethnal green or somewhere in london. type in troy brown on youtube and it comes up with part 1,2,3 and he mentions a london gym.

mine, its small, dingy and all the weights are battered or rusty. full of mean looking polish dudes and at the very least, everyone that trains there, even the curl and bench crowd, at least look like they lift weights.
cardio bunies and “Gym instuctors” have a separate room.

unfortunately, nowhere near london.

[quote]them0fo wrote:
Can anyone recommend any decent weight-lifting gyms (rather than ‘fitness’ gyms) in the UK - and more specifically, in and around London…?

I’d also like to know if there are any good strength coaches that are based over here as I’m fed up of training in a David Lloyd gym where no one seems to do any ‘proper’ work like squats or deadlifts…

Thanks[/quote]

Hi,
I have a home gym, really structured for Powerlifting and you’re welcome to come over and have a session.

I’ve got 25 years experience and I try to get out to Ohio every year to train at Westside Barbell, I’ll gladly help if I can.

I live in Streatham Hill, so not too far.

Drop me a PM if you’re interested.

Cheers,
Chris

[quote]them0fo wrote:

Thanks[/quote]

Pinks in Carlshalton is the best gym in my area, its near Sutton. Dumbells go up to 80kgs, loads of benches, weight loaded machines, two racks. Full of big guys who know what their doing.

Muscleworks just East of the City is relatively hardcore, Ronnie Coleman trains there when he comes to London.

I would also look in to some of the rugby clubs near you/Twickenham that usually have good facilities though you’d probably have to workout some kind of private arrangement

about 45 mins on the train from london:

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
about 45 mins on the train from london:

www.monstergym.co.uk[/quote]

+1

That’s where I train.

@300andabove: going to be moving to Manchester in a couple of months and am already on the gym hunt. Where are the good gyms?