T Nation

Gyms in Seattle, Portland, San Fran?


#1

Long Shot But Worth a Try

Will be in Seattle, Portland and San Fran over the course of 10 days in the near future. I'm looking for a gym that has day passes and a squat rack/allows deadlifts in each or any of those cities. I will have access to a car. Long shot, but can anyone recommend a gym? Thank you for your time.


#2

LA Fitness up and down the west coast. Very comfortable for a chain gym, and reasonable for short term.
Elite Performance Center is a powerlifting gym in Portland, and there are many crossfit gyms out here, but I don’t know about day passes with those places.


#3

[quote]TrainForPain wrote:
LA Fitness up and down the west coast. Very comfortable for a chain gym, and reasonable for short term.
Elite Performance Center is a powerlifting gym in Portland, and there are many crossfit gyms out here, but I don’t know about day passes with those places. [/quote]

Thanks for responding. LA fitness seems to be the most viable option in Seattle and SF so far. I found a gym called Loprinzi’s in Portland with a good daily rate. Place seems legit. But I’ll definitely check out Elite. Thanks again.


#4

This is a powerlifting gym ran by a gentleman named Chris Duffin. He is a beast and a hell of a nice guy. The atmoshpere is great and everyone is very knowledgeable and helpful and I believe they do day passes.


#5

24 hour fitness in Portland is legit. They have several locations throughout the city (I’m southwest, aka downtown). $10 for a day-pass.


#6

Lived in Portland for a bit, and liked the 24’s in the Pearl District and in mall 205. Not sure where you’re staying, but I recommend either of those.


#7

I can only help you with Seattle:

University of Washington: 7-10 squat racks with platforms, bumpers, 4 story building of heaven.

Seattle University: Similar to UW, but here they actually let you do Olympic Lifting. I mean, you can actually drop the weight, unlike UW where they stopped it my last year in 2009.

Puyallup, WA YMCA: Best Gym I have trained at. On the way to Seattle from Portland. Racks, Bumpers, Chains, Bands, lots of machines, great atmosphere and some knowledgeable people. Plus Stan Efferding came in a couple times there before hah.

Hope that helps.


#8

I forgot about the Puyallup Y. I was there years ago, and it was awesome.
Can anyone go to the university gyms?


#9

[quote]TrainForPain wrote:
I forgot about the Puyallup Y. I was there years ago, and it was awesome.
Can anyone go to the university gyms?[/quote]

Yup, UW used to be $7 per entry, and Seattle U was somewhere around the same.


#10

World Gym in SF if you don’t want to leave the City. I’ve done plenty of squats and deadlifts there over the years.


#11

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Lived in Portland for a bit, and liked the 24’s in the Pearl District and in mall 205. Not sure where you’re staying, but I recommend either of those. [/quote]

The Mall 205 one is my gym.


#12

Thank you all for your replies. I’m investigating all the suggestions right now.


#13

[quote]bassip21 wrote:
I can only help you with Seattle:

University of Washington: 7-10 squat racks with platforms, bumpers, 4 story building of heaven.

Seattle University: Similar to UW, but here they actually let you do Olympic Lifting. I mean, you can actually drop the weight, unlike UW where they stopped it my last year in 2009.

Puyallup, WA YMCA: Best Gym I have trained at. On the way to Seattle from Portland. Racks, Bumpers, Chains, Bands, lots of machines, great atmosphere and some knowledgeable people. Plus Stan Efferding came in a couple times there before hah.

Hope that helps. [/quote]

If you’re considering coming all the way down to Puyallup just drive another ten minutes and come to the gym Stan actually opened himself, Flex Fitness. It’ll have everything you need.


#14

I grew up in Seattle and have tried just about every gym in the area. I’m not a fan of LA fitness or 24 for a number of reasons. In my opinion the best true weightlifter’s gym in Seattle is Gold’s on Aurora Avenue.


#15

For San Francisco:

World Gym was already suggested

Fitness SF in the SOMA would be okay if you don’t plan to use chalk or mind getting hit on by guys

Valencia Street Muscle: it’s a bit of a hole but they don’t care what you do. Big Space. They use those octagon weights like 24 Hour Fitness if that bugs you when deadlifting.

Sunset Gym: I personally train here and can do whatever I want. Chalk, grunt, whatever. Super cool. Day fee is $10 but if you PM me I can hook you up with $5 day fee. It isn’t the most fancy or modern but it gets the job done

Studio Mix: Huge facility. Kind of like a Crossfit gym mixed with the EliteFTS store catalog. In other words, lots of toys.


#16

[quote]Claudan wrote:
24 hour fitness in Portland is legit. They have several locations throughout the city (I’m southwest, aka downtown). $10 for a day-pass. [/quote]

This one. Last time I went there, I pretended that I was interested in joining and they gave me a free day pass.