Gyms in Oxford, England?

Howdy. I’m studying abroad in England next year and was wondering if anyone knew of any particularly good gyms there. They don’t have to be powerlifting gyms, but that would be fun.

[quote]Antonsucks wrote:
Howdy. I’m studying abroad in England next year and was wondering if anyone knew of any particularly good gyms there. They don’t have to be powerlifting gyms, but that would be fun. [/quote]

If you’re studying at the University of Oxford, the uni has its own powerlifting club and gym.

[quote]Antonsucks wrote:
Howdy. I’m studying abroad in England next year and was wondering if anyone knew of any particularly good gyms there. They don’t have to be powerlifting gyms, but that would be fun. [/quote]

Additionally, we dont say Howdy!

In Oxford. Ether very rich, or very brainy, or even both!

PM me if you want to see about competeing PL at all around the country. It would get you out of oxford and away from the south.

like booger said the Oxfrod uni gym is most prob your best bet. If your on exchange to oxford uni, make sure they had the powerlifting room into your gym membership. If not, and your a student its gonna cost you ?45 for three months, which is a terms length.

The actualy powerlifting room itself isn’t that big, but it does have everything init that you require. Everyone is friendly, you get a few “personal” trainers in ther who think they know it all, but just ignore them.

If you fancy playing some American Football the uni has a team, Oxford Cavaliers. We will provide you kit, just bring your cleats. That won’t start till September time. By the way the team is nothing like a college team or high school team over in the USA.
www.oxfordcavaliers.co.uk

Hey,

Yeah, definitely join the powerlifting gym at the University sports center. The other gyms are all commercial. There is a seriously good gym run by a Pro bodybuilder (Mike Sheridan) called Unique Bodies
http://www.uniquebodiesgym.com/.

You might want to check that out as well, although the powerlifting gym is cheaper and has most of what you need.

Before you come up to Oxford feel free to PM me… if you’re serious about training that’d be great, since there aren’t that many people here who are…

I’m moving into Oxford from Kidlington soon and will want to join a gym in the city. How busy does the p-lifting room at the university gym get? Anyone been to the David Lloyd gym who can say anything about what free weight equipment they have, how busy it gets etc?

I just don’t want to end up fighting barbell curl queens for a squat rack, haha :slight_smile:

it can get busy in the PL room. if you stay out during the peak times its not usually too bad. Today was a bit of a shocker though, we went in early (for us) at 9 and it was busy. The most you can get in there comfortably is 8 at most 10. I usually go anywhere between 10.30 and 4 and its fine.

[quote]scally wrote:
it can get busy in the PL room. if you stay out during the peak times its not usually too bad. Today was a bit of a shocker though, we went in early (for us) at 9 and it was busy. The most you can get in there comfortably is 8 at most 10. I usually go anywhere between 10.30 and 4 and its fine.[/quote]

Sadly I pretty much have to go first thing in the morning or after work. I think I will have to see if I can wangle some one-off workouts at various gyms before settling on one. That Unique Gyms place looks cool although perhaps also a bit small.

My current gym (Aviators at Kidlington Airport) only has 1 squat rack but no one else ever uses it so it’s pretty much ideal!

I realize this is an old thread but it’s just what I’m looking for…

From what I’m reading the Gym at the university is the best bet? Are there any other powerlifting gyms around?