Gyms in NYC With GHR??

Seriously, Anyone know of any gyms in New York with a glute-ham raise in it??

Barks

Peak Performance and Velocity Sports in the city have a GHR, but you have to sign up for training sessions. Their not regular gyms where you buy a membership and work out.

Asphalt Green on the UES has a ghr, as does Coliseum Gym in Queens.

But the best gym in NYC is Aviator Sports in Brooklyn. They have 8 Olympic platforms, 4 wide heavy-duty power racks, 2 Elite GHRs, 2 Elite reverse-hypers, dumbells up to 150 pounds, pylo boxes for box jumps/box squats, chains, bands, a sled…everything you could want in a gym. Its a kick-ass gym. Only $50 a month.

[quote]OKLAHOMA STATE wrote:
Peak Performance and Velocity Sports in the city have a GHR, but you have to sign up for training sessions. Their not regular gyms where you buy a membership and work out.

But the best gym in NYC is Aviator Sports in Brooklyn. They have 8 Olympic platforms, 4 wide heavy-duty power racks, 2 Elite GHRs, 2 Elite reverse-hypers, dumbells up to 150 pounds, pylo boxes for box jumps/box squats, chains, bands, a sled…everything you could want in a gym. Its a kick-ass gym. Only $50 a month.[/quote]

he basically said it all. Also, in queens there’s lost batallion hall - pretty awesome place to train if you are into olympic lifting (but no ghr unforunately)

[quote]barks217 wrote:

Barks[/quote]

You can fake a glute-ham raise by pulling a bench up to a lat pull down machine (presupposing that the seat is short enough). Lock your feet under the knee pads, place your knees on the bench, and go at it.

[quote]adubswils wrote:
barks217 wrote:

Barks

You can fake a glute-ham raise by pulling a bench up to a lat pull down machine (presupposing that the seat is short enough). Lock your feet under the knee pads, place your knees on the bench, and go at it.[/quote]

Not having anywhere to dig your feet into, or allow your knees to drive downwards totally changes the movement tho. Much harder.

REALLY Appreciate the posts! I got some looking up to do… I’m located in Queens and I’ve worked out at Lost Batallion too. Aviator is definitely on the to-do list.Thanx again!

[quote]OKLAHOMA STATE wrote:

But the best gym in NYC is Aviator Sports in Brooklyn. They have 8 Olympic platforms, 4 wide heavy-duty power racks, 2 Elite GHRs, 2 Elite reverse-hypers, dumbells up to 150 pounds, pylo boxes for box jumps/box squats, chains, bands, a sled…everything you could want in a gym. Its a kick-ass gym. Only $50 a month.[/quote]

Equinox in Columbus Circle has one.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
adubswils wrote:
barks217 wrote:

Barks

You can fake a glute-ham raise by pulling a bench up to a lat pull down machine (presupposing that the seat is short enough). Lock your feet under the knee pads, place your knees on the bench, and go at it.

Not having anywhere to dig your feet into, or allow your knees to drive downwards totally changes the movement tho. Much harder.[/quote]

Yep, turns out im a big pussy at the movement. But you can push off the ground with your hands to help complete reps or just be careful about the depth.

I think its a reasonable substitute.

[quote]Res Judicata wrote:
Equinox in Columbus Circle has one. [/quote]

Really? Wow, that’s good to know. I’m in that area a lot. a friend of mine attends John Jay college. Thanx

[quote]adubswils wrote:
Yep, turns out im a big pussy at the movement. But you can push off the ground with your hands to help complete reps or just be careful about the depth.

I think its a reasonable substitute.[/quote]

I do this same movement as well, but to be clear, the movement lacks the same hip extension properties of a true GHR. The hammies are responsible for hip extension and leg flexion. An RDL or reverse hyper trains the hip extension aspect of the hammies and a leg curl trains only the leg flexion aspect. A true GHR trains both, and that is perhaps the primary reason it is touted as the best posterior chain movement you can do. (There is also the added bonus of gastroc stimulation as well, another muscle group that is important to sprinters.)

I’ve been told that jumping and sprinting rely more more on the hip extension aspect of the hamstrings, so if you don’t have a GHR it is not the end of the world. So in sum, if you can’t get access to a true GHR bench, do the so-called “natural” GHR on a lat pulldown but remember to focus heavily on hip extension with other movements (e.g., pull-throughs, reverse hypers, RDLs). If you do have a true GHR, go nuts with that thing and supplement with a some additional hip extension stuff.