T Nation

Gyms in LA

Looking for a gym in LA. Not a health spa/workout club, but a serious place to train. Preferably not a chain.

Yeah, I’m actually in search of one as well. Been doing the “24” thing for a while but I’m ready to move onto something more serious.

I’m in Manhattan Beach at the moment. Any recommendations?

I’m with you guys. There just aren’t any gyms worth a shit in L.A. I’m at L.A. Fitness and it sucks. I keep trying to get sold on personal training from guys that weigh 140lbs.

Scott Mendelson has a place in Studio City. I think he just does privates out of it, but it’s worth checking out. I worked at a Gold’s Gym in Manhattan Beach that wasn’t bad… wasn’t great, either, but better than most places.

What kind of workouts are you guys into? Bodybuilding? Powerlifting? Something else?

[quote]Fenris wrote:
I’m with you guys. There just aren’t any gyms worth a shit in L.A. I’m at L.A. Fitness and it sucks. I keep trying to get sold on personal training from guys that weigh 140lbs.

Scott Mendelson has a place in Studio City. I think he just does privates out of it, but it’s worth checking out. I worked at a Gold’s Gym in Manhattan Beach that wasn’t bad… wasn’t great, either, but better than most places.

What kind of workouts are you guys into? Bodybuilding? Powerlifting? Something else?[/quote]

I’ve been training for my first powerlifting competition. Currently at 24 hour, where are you lifting at the moment?

Sounds like you all need to get together and start your own and ditch the gym fags.

I’m at LA Fitness. I usually go to the North Hollywood or the Van Nuys locations. Which 24 are you at?

If you can get past the fluff some LA fitness gyms actually have all most everything I need. Tons of of weight equipment, plenty of benches of all sorts, squat racks, cables, hammer strength, 30$ a month ect.

More shit than I’ve seen at some World’s and Golds. On the bad side there’s no really intense vibes, no strong guys, dumbbells only go up to 125lbs and the weights are rubber coted. It kinda sucks when your all ways the strongest guy in there and I don’t consider my self that strong. My last few gyms where hard core, World’s San Diego and my fav “The Gym” in Minnitonka Mn. Those where way more inspirational.

There is a really good power lifting club in LA. I can get the name if anyone’s interested.

havent been able to log on for a while. First of all, I train for athletic performance specifically wrestling. I currently train at my school. I love it. Good coach, good facilities etc… 7 or 8 power racks, Oly lift platforms. Glute ham raise. Dip stations, 2 pulley towers. dumbells to 135. Everything I need. Great training partners. Only problem is that over the summer b/c of my job and the gym’s schedule i will hardly ever be able to lift there. I don’t need much equiptment, just a good environment.