T Nation

Gyms in Gainesville

Hi, I might be heading out to Gainesville, Florida for a months time and I was wondering if anyone here might know any good gyms in that area. Serious strength training/Powerlifting gyms preferred.

Thanks in advance!

[quote]Sepukku wrote:
Hi, I might be heading out to Gainesville, Florida for a months time and I was wondering if anyone here might know any good gyms in that area. Serious strength training/Powerlifting gyms preferred.

Thanks in advance![/quote]

if you’re going to the University of Florida, they have two really good gyms: one at the O’Connell Center (the basketball arena), and one called Southwest, which is almost at the southwestern-most end of the school on Museum Road (or just off of it; don’t remember). however, these are only open to students, so again, that’s only if you’re going to be attending the school.

No I wont be attending uni there so if there are any other options please let me know! thanks.

If you want hardcore, then go the the Gainesville Gym on NW 6th Street just off University Avenue. It’s dirt cheap ($119/year or $60 a semester). I trained there for 10 years until I built my own home gym.

It’s hot, smelly, all free weights and is home to many hardcore lifters. A few of my friends train there in O-lifting. You can see them pretty often on the platform in the back room. They would be able to give you some help if you need it.

I’ve been to the rec centers at UF, and although they are nice (and air conditioned!), they tend to have quite a few rules and don’t cater to the hardcore crowd. Also, you must be a student or faculty/staff member to use them.

Thanks a lot Nate Dogg. Will see if I can give it a shot! I love O-lifting and would love to improve on all fronts.

Any other possible suggestions?

Not really. The other places in town are for the recreational lifter or those looking to be seen. You could check out Orion Fitness (www.orionfitness.com) or the Gainesville Health and Fitness Center (www.ghfc.com). But they are not cheap. But at least they are air-conditioned and clean with new weights, cardio machines, etc.

The Gainesville Gym (www.gainesvillegym.com) is your best bet for a hardcore place to train.

Ok cool and once again, thanks.

I’ve only been to Gainesville Health and Fitness Center before…

a shitload of machines. Some okay equipment tho…

2 squat racks, 2 deadlift racks, and about 50million bench press stations…

the squat and deadlift racks are typically occupied by people doing bicep curls

If my recollection serves me right, there’s a Powerhouse Gym just north of the mall near a Home Depot. It’s been 10 years or so since I’ve been to Gainesville, so it may not be there anymore. As for Gainesville Gym, I give it two thumbs up. It’s not for the faint of heart or guys into using machines, but you’ll find the most hardcore/dedicated lifters there.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
I’ve only been to Gainesville Health and Fitness Center before…

a shitload of machines. Some okay equipment tho…

2 squat racks, 2 deadlift racks, and about 50million bench press stations…

the squat and deadlift racks are typically occupied by people doing bicep curls[/quote]

Oh, you mean the “Gainsville Health and Social Club” right? That’s what we called it when I went there. It’s a pickup joint for frat boys and sorority girls.

[quote]Sting wrote:
Oh, you mean the “Gainsville Health and Social Club” right? That’s what we called it when I went there. It’s a pickup joint for frat boys and sorority girls.
[/quote]

It’s “Gainesville Health & Fashion” now due to the amount of people that get “dressed up” to go workout. Make-up, coordinated outfits with iPods and the whole caboodle.

Great place to see some hotties. But if you want to actually train, go someplace that facilitates a good working environment. Even Orion Fitness is a better choice than GH&FC. I trained there for a few months several years ago. I liked it because it had A/C and clean/new equipment. I hated that it only had two squat racks (even though no one squatted) and they use those octagon-shaped plates which is a pain in the ass to deadlift with since they roll back and forth and won’t stay put.

I don’t think Powerhouse gym is around anymore. Same with Pete’s.

I live in Gainesville Florida.
I go to GHFC.
Yeah, they only have two squat racks and two power racks…but they never get used, so you’d be alone and away from all the idiots. They’re kind of hidden away from all the benching…so it’s actually kind of nice. But maybe I’m just not hardcore enough…

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Sting wrote:
Oh, you mean the “Gainsville Health and Social Club” right? That’s what we called it when I went there. It’s a pickup joint for frat boys and sorority girls.

It’s “Gainesville Health & Fashion” now due to the amount of people that get “dressed up” to go workout. Make-up, coordinated outfits with iPods and the whole caboodle.

Great place to see some hotties. But if you want to actually train, go someplace that facilitates a good working environment. Even Orion Fitness is a better choice than GH&FC. I trained there for a few months several years ago. I liked it because it had A/C and clean/new equipment. I hated that it only had two squat racks (even though no one squatted) and they use those octagon-shaped plates which is a pain in the ass to deadlift with since they roll back and forth and won’t stay put.

I don’t think Powerhouse gym is around anymore. Same with Pete’s.

[/quote]

Pete’s Gym RIP – It always reminded me of the gym where Lou trained in Pumping Iron. Long and narrow, 70s decor, well-used weights, etc… Gainesville Health was always a pickup joint when I was there, which is fine if that’s what you want. My suggestion? Join a real gym where you can build a great physique, then go “work out” with a buddy who belongs to Gainesville Health to show it off.

On second though, just join a real gym, get the great physique, then lay out on the lawns near the dorms.

[quote]Sting wrote:
On second though, just join a real gym, get the great physique, then lay out on the lawns near the dorms.

[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha…Broward Beach!!!

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
I live in Gainesville Florida.
I go to GHFC.
Yeah, they only have two squat racks and two power racks…but they never get used, so you’d be alone and away from all the idiots. They’re kind of hidden away from all the benching…so it’s actually kind of nice. But maybe I’m just not hardcore enough…[/quote]

You can be hardcore and train anywhere…as long as the facility in question doesn’t prevent you from doing what you need. Some places may say Olympic lifts and other exercises are “unsafe” or “not acceptable.”

If someone wants to train at GH&FC, more power to them. I can’t see the need or reason to pay those kinds of prices for a gym membership. The only people who have a good deal are those that joined many, many years ago and their rates stay the same as long as they renew each year.

I left the gym scene two years ago. I’d rather continue training at home and in my garage/driveway/street. I have everything I need to get a tremendous workout, and the cost for my entire setup is probably less than a year’s membership at GH&FC. And I know my training is effective. :wink:

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
You can be hardcore and train anywhere…as long as the facility in question doesn’t prevent you from doing what you need. Some places may say Olympic lifts and other exercises are “unsafe” or “not acceptable.”

[/quote]

Or that you “scare the old people when you do that.” That sent my brother straight to Gainesville Gym.

I might go to the University of Florida and I’m not sure I’ll have enough extra cash to be paying for an outside gym.

Nate, do the gyms at the University have power racks and a decent amount of cable/dumbells?

[quote]El_Animal wrote:
I might go to the University of Florida and I’m not sure I’ll have enough extra cash to be paying for an outside gym.

Nate, do the gyms at the University have power racks and a decent amount of cable/dumbells?[/quote]

Yeah. You’ll be fine. The SW rec center is the biggest one and has four or five commercial-sized power racks and two different racks of dumbbells and everything else you should need (no reverse hyper or glute-ham bench though).

The smaller gym is located under the O’Connell center and is mostly free weights. Good place, but not as big.

The Florida Gym is reserved for athletics only. It’s awesome. Plenty of platforms, squat racks, bumper plates and nice bars, etc. Go for an athletic scholarship and you could get the chance to train there!

Best of all, it’s free for students/faculty. Just be sure to always bring your student ID, always bring a towel (they won’t let you in without one), and at one point, you couldn’t wear a tank top. Not sure if they still do that. You never see anyone doing Olympic lifts, but you may actually see a few people squat with respectable weight and depth. Oh yeah, and there are a TON of hotties. :wink:

My hammies have to disagree with you nate, SW rec most certainly has a GH bench.

As for the no Olympic lifting, if you know how to work the system you can get away with it.

What? Where is this glute-ham bench? I go in every semester with my girlfriend (for my free day), and I have never seen a glute-ham bench!!!

I’ll be looking for it now.