T Nation

Gyms in Doha Qatar?

Hello folks,

Can anyone recommend a decent, reasonably cheap gym (Olympic barbell and squat rack) in Doha and also a place where I can do sprints or even hill sprints? This place probably has the most sedentary population I have ever seen in my life, it’s simply staggering. No one plays any sport or goes to the gym, all food is fast food, everyone is obese. Haven’t even seen kids playing games anywhere. Too much money over here!

I did find the aspire academy, however the price is way over my budget at the moment and it’s too far away from me.
Any insights would be great before I go insane!
Thanks

I know what you mean, I spent 2 years working there and commuting daily from Ras Laffan.

There is a Gold’s Gym in Doha, but I’m not sure what it’s like; I always stopped at a small but well-equipped gym on my way back from work.

What you will find though is that ALL the gyms there have abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous membership prices. It’s not uncommon to have to fork out $100+ / month for a good gym.

If money and space allow, and you plan to stay there for a while, it’d be worth investing in your own equipment.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the membership prices are off the charts & the gyms are appalling! It’s no wonder everyone is so fat over here.

Where is this small gym that you speak of? Is it in Doha? All I need is something that has a barbell & squat rack & is reasonably cheap. What about fields to sprint in? There are 2 tracks as far as I know but both are closed to the public!!! How retarded is that!

I would build a home gym in a heart beat however my work states that I can be relocated within the middle east on short notice at any time, so that rules out that option unfortunately.
Cheers

I used to work in Ras Laffan - if you work up that way, then there is a service station just as you leave Al Khor; the gym used to be there, next to a dingy minimart.

I’m working in Kuwait now, where there are some fantastic gyms - prices are a lot more reasonable too.

The Gold’s is probably it. It’s on the D-ring road, right next to the Harley dealership towards the airport.

It’s a puke orange/gold color. Can’t miss it.

I tried to use my gold’s membership here there, but I think it’s a knock-off and not a real Golds.

The price is stout, like $4,000/year, and it’s not particularly spectacular — I would not have joined, but I was going crazy and couldn’t find anything.

On the bright side, you can buy steroids from your personal trainer.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:
The Gold’s is probably it. It’s on the D-ring road, right next to the Harley dealership towards the airport.

I tried to use my gold’s membership here there, but I think it’s a knock-off and not a real Golds.

The price is stout, like $4,000/year, and it’s not particularly spectacular — I would not have joined, but I was going crazy and couldn’t find anything.

On the bright side, you can buy steroids from your personal trainer.[/quote]

Thanks bud. I tried looking for that gym but I think it has been closed down and changed into a bank? Correct me if I’m wrong?
Don’t know how much longer I can last here. Literally going crazy, has to be the worst place on earth. Richest city in the world yet it looks more like down town Somalia!!

Lol, I know what you mean! I’m now in Kuwait which is similar - only there’s absolutely no alcohol (unless you don’t mind paying $150 for a bottle black-market of Jack Daniels) and even less expensive buildings :slight_smile: On the bright side, shit-holes like these mean bigger pay packets!

what kind of work are you guys doing over there?

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
what kind of work are you guys doing over there?[/quote]

I designed a directional down-hole motor and sold my company to a large service company that worked there and had to train the idiots how to use/fix them.

(Oilfield, in other words)

I also spent a lot of time having sex with very pretty, but frustrated, female natives, which apparently could have gotten me killed, but I didn’t know it at the time. There’s a whole hidden world there with sex clubs and booze that flows freely.

[quote]OOOHHH…YEAHHH wrote:

Thanks bud. I tried looking for that gym but I think it has been closed down and changed into a bank? Correct me if I’m wrong?
Don’t know how much longer I can last here. Literally going crazy, has to be the worst place on earth. Richest city in the world yet it looks more like down town Somalia!! [/quote]

Not sure, it’s been years.

Everything that goes on is hidden behind walls. I was introduced to the “native” scene by the in-house lawyers for the compay with which I was working. I’m a very, very tall guy, and was basically told I could have access just because I would be a novelty.

Most extreme lifestyles I’ve ever seen, anywhere, in the world. Think NYC clubs circa 1972.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

Oil and gas sector construction; sounds a hell of a lot more glamorous and interesting than it really is :slight_smile:

i was deployed there not too long ago. but i worked out on post.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

I’m an engineer in an Engineering contracting company. Absolute dump & 90% of the population consists of brain dead zombie Indian men, but there is some serious cash to be made here. Shittier the place, the higher the pay check.

[quote]OOOHHH…YEAHHH wrote:

Don’t know how much longer I can last here. Literally going crazy, has to be the worst place on earth. Richest city in the world yet it looks more like down town Somalia!! [/quote]

Not sure, it’s been years.

Everything that goes on is hidden behind walls. I was introduced to the “native” scene by the in-house lawyers for the compay with which I was working. I’m a very, very tall guy, and was basically told I could have access just because I would be a novelty.

Most extreme lifestyles I’ve ever seen, anywhere, in the world. Think NYC clubs circa 1972.[/quote]

What!!!??? You’re talking about Qatar right? I didn’t even know that women exist here, let alone want to have sex. WARNING TO ANYONE READING, DO NOT COME TO QATAR IF YOU WANT SEX.
In all serious though, care to elaborate? Some of the Qatari locals are indeed incredibly sexy, would kill to fuck one.