T Nation

Gyms in Connecticut....

Guys and girls, whats up…i go to college near farifield/bridgeport, Connecticut, and i was looking for a more of a hardcore gym, rather than just the boring gym at my college thats filled with guidos and annoying little bastard that do nothing but curls in all the squat racks, and sometimes even barbell curls in a bench press!!

so i think you get my point…if anyone knows of a good gym please let me know…keep me away from planet fitness or anything like that…thanks
IronWarrior

Southside Barbell in Stratford, CT.

Good reasons to go:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/south_side_gym.htm

Southside is now located in Milford, CT. If you lift and don’t go there than you are just lame.

Nice, i just checked out that link, definitely looks like a place for me! thanks alot…Do you know the address for Southside in Milford, CT by any chance??

Address: 461 Bridgeport Ave. (from Bridgeport Ave., turn onto Lawman Rd. and head for the gravel driveway on the right)

City: Milford

State/Province/Country: CT

Zip: 06460

Their driveway’s gravel? That’s so awesome.

Southside probably pwns it, but I’ve heard great things about Gold’s Gym in North Haven. (31 Bernhard Road. Norht Haven, CT 06473.)

Southside is in the basement underneath and behind a strip mall. Lift there now. It doesn’t get much more hardcore. Be sure you get your shots first though, don’t wanna catch anything.

[quote]Luca76PSU wrote:
Southside is in the basement underneath and behind a strip mall. Lift there now. It doesn’t get much more hardcore. Be sure you get your shots first though, don’t wanna catch anything.[/quote]

What about that sweet YMCA you lift at?

Golds Gym in east hartford has a badass set-up in their basement. I lifted there for 8 months on a week long trial membership.

Anyways, they have a GHR, some racks, heavy ass dumbells, and a back room with all sorts of crazy stuff in it. A gripper machine, thick bars, wrist rollers, boards, bands and I’m forgetting some stuff. Had to be some strong guys who lift/lifted there because there were a bunch of Elite posters hanging up too.

Their regular gym floor is top notch too, tons of great equipment and all different kinds of machines, a couple more racks, more dumbells that went to 130 or 150.

Nicee, well thanks alot for all the input guys…im going up to my house in CT that my freinds rent out for school next weekend…while im out there im gonna get check out both Southside and Golds Gym to see which one i like and which one makes more sense to drive to each day…Southside sounds absolutely amazing, the gravel driveway just screams bad ass haha…since im getting such great feedback im just gonna ask, does anyone know how much it costs to join both of these gyms and how long the memberships are for??? any info would be great! thanks alot…
IronWarrior

Well, I think southside barbell is pretty cheap, I thought I remember reading somewhere that they could buy a t-shirt with a month’s membership at southside.

The gold’s in east hartford was like 20 bucks a month if you signed up for like 2 years plus like 200 dollars start up fee. You can also go to any of the other gold’s owned by the same group which are the ones located in (from their site):

Bloomfield, CT

Bristol, CT

Enfield, CT

Windsor, CT

Scitico / Enfield, CT

Chicopee, MA

West Springfield, MA

I’d still chose southside, — but I was working some in hartford at the time, and during hockey season, no way in hell I had time to drive to bridgeport and back every day.

Yea i get ya…i go to sacred heart university, and my house is in bridgeport, right between madison and main st…southside is only about 15 minutes from my house according to mapquest so thats not bad at all…it looks like a pretty kick ass gym, so i think next saturday ill definitely be checkin it out…
IronWarrior

Your best bet for southside would be to go Friday night because it is bench and is the best night to get in with the crew. Southside isn’t open all the time though, since the owners both have other jobs so we all train in other gyms during the week. It’s $10 each time you go or you could pay for more at once but no one ever really does.

Sweet, my uncle is teaching some sort of english/lit class at SHU.

I like going into gyms, and randomly checking out how high their dumbells go… if they end below 200, it’s not a hardcore enough gym.

[quote]Luca76PSU wrote:
Your best bet for southside would be to go Friday night because it is bench and is the best night to get in with the crew. Southside isn’t open all the time though, since the owners both have other jobs so we all train in other gyms during the week.

It’s $10 each time you go or you could pay for more at once but no one ever really does.[/quote]

Damn! A bit more expensive than previously I guess.

Yea it definitely sounds like a pretty sweet gym, im really excited to check it out…i probably wont be able to get there friday night, but definitely saturday…i go to Strong and Shapely in East Rutherford, New Jersey…dumbells go up to 250!! its a pretty sick gym, i love it…the best part about the DBs is that they have about 4 sets of them, and 2 sets go up to 200, and the one goes up to 250 which is pretty nasty haha
IronWarrior