Gyms in Boston?

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
oh you dont have a car…didnt notice that. ummm youre gonna have to learn the bus routes then. i dont know any of the Davis-Broadway routes

go to MBTA.com and hit “plan a trip” then type in the info, there should be a few different routes displayed.

Everett doesnt have a T stop so youll either have to take a bus like i said or get on the T at Davis Square, switch onto the Orange Line get off at Wellington and hop on another bus down Broadway in Everett

it sounds like kinda complicated but it really isnt. itll prob take like a half hour to do though, probaly longer your first time since you dont know where you are. but the place is a legit gym and if you really want that kind of atmosphere itll probaly be worth it to you.

x2, it’s really not that complicated, there’s an actual bus stop that’s right next to TPS. I’ll try and see what bus route it is when I go train tmr.[/quote]

Thanks fellas. Much appreciated. In the meantime I’ll check out the MBTA site and work out the route etc.

LiveFromThe781 wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Modi wrote:
Cressey’s place isn’t really near Boston any more.

Check out TPS (Total Performance Sports) in Everett. It’s the next town over from Sommerville. They are a PL/Strongman/MMA gym. They have power racks, monolifts, every bar imaginable, bumper plates stones, tires, kegs, etc. If I were a little closer I’d be there in a heartbeat.

http://www.totalperformancesports.com/

x2

except you cant use any of the strongman stuff.

well, theres a giant ass waiting list from what ive heard b/c you need to be supervised by a trainer for safety reasons.

be advised, theres no machines whatsoever.

There’s no waiting list, no one besides my training partners taught me how to use the tires, stones, conan’s wheel, etc. You can use it as long as you’re not an idiot. TPS also has bumper plates…I use 'em haha. It’s deff. an awesome gym that I like to call my gym.

i was talking to my friend the other day who works out there and i was asking em if he ever used the barbell with the tires on em or any of the other strongman atuff and he said there was a line and you needed a trainer. maybe you have special perks cause youve been going there longer and know what youre doing.

Who was it? I think the only people I’ve seen that need to get taught to do it is the average Joe’s and Jane’s that are complete beginners.[/quote]

this kid Salvadorian kid Oscar. he just started going back to TPS from LA Fitness but he’s keeping the membership there too so he can do legs there.

Aren’t there decent places in Davis Square? I’d check out the part of Malden that’s close to the Winchester border. Everett is overun by Brazilians (may not be a bad thing) or you can live in Surburbia like me.[/quote]

theres no part of malden close to Winchester. malden borders, Revere, Everett, Melrose and Medford.

at least you dont share a gym with the brazilians…well it has its good and bads

good side is all the girls are smoking and where tight spandex that show off their asses

bad side is the dudes who train with hollister visors, you should see them benching me and these guys were joking about it the other day. its like a two man exercises because one is doing an upright row or one is doing a 1-arm row. so rediculous. i saw this brazilian chick training her little brother or something yesterday, shit was hilarious cause she made him bench the bar and i was just thinking damn, id be salted if my SISTER was teaching me to lift.

the only other decent gyms around here are Mike’s Gym in Medford, its pretty cool, old school style, mad 80s equipment, round plates, smells like ammonia, dumb bells up to like 125 or something.

then theres the ballys in medford i go to. its good too, closer to my house than Mike’s or TPS and the bathrooms are really nice lol. plus its cool cause its setup like a warehouse, really high ceilings whereas TPS is basically a house that got turned into a gym and Mike’s has the same feel to it too cause its a 3 floor maze almost.

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
TPS is the only notable gym near the city that i can think of. there are plenty of commerical gyms in the city that have power racks, but i doubt you’ll find bumper.[/quote]

I was in Boston briefly for a vacation last Summer. There is a big commercial gym in downtown Boston that has a crossfit room. I cannot remember the name of the gym, but I am sure if you do a search of crossfit affiliates in Boston you will find it. They are under some big hotel. I am not familiar with Boston, so I cannot be more specific than that.

They have bumper plates, Pendlay o-lifting bars, I think they have KBs, and I remember they have a good quality GHR machine.

I was actually shocked to find all of that at a fancy downtown Boston-area gym.

I got in a squat session at TPS when I was in Boston for work a year ago. It’s a kickass hardcore gym- monolift, chains, specialty bars, reverse hyper. More importantly, it seemed they had a pretty good crew of lifters training there.

I got in a squat session at TPS when I was in Boston for work a year ago. It’s a kickass hardcore gym- monolift, chains, specialty bars, reverse hyper. More importantly, it seemed they had a pretty good crew of lifters training there.

[quote]Checkmate wrote:
I was in Boston briefly for a vacation last Summer. There is a big commercial gym in downtown Boston that has a crossfit room. I cannot remember the name of the gym, but I am sure if you do a search of crossfit affiliates in Boston you will find it. They are under some big hotel. I am not familiar with Boston, so I cannot be more specific than that.

They have bumper plates, Pendlay o-lifting bars, I think they have KBs, and I remember they have a good quality GHR machine.

I was actually shocked to find all of that at a fancy downtown Boston-area gym.[/quote]

shit, i had no idea. i’ll have to check it out.

There’s (or was earlier this decade) a Bally’s in Porter Square. Not ideal but that’s really close to Davis Square. Getting to Everett from Somerville… no subway routes. Your best bet is a bus, even if you did own a car, your best bet is a bus.

[quote]bryophyta wrote:
There’s (or was earlier this decade) a Bally’s in Porter Square. Not ideal but that’s really close to Davis Square. Getting to Everett from Somerville… no subway routes. Your best bet is a bus, even if you did own a car, your best bet is a bus.[/quote]

i train at a Ballys

its not as bad as people think

theres still a ton of douchebags and idiots there but theres also a lot of really big dudes there too.

i spotted a guy who benched 415 raw (single), with a slight bounce though.

There used to be the old Mike’s Gym in Porter Sq. IDK if it’s still there.

Eric Cressy is in Hudson, right? That’s a hike. It was a hike when I lived in Concord.

Besides TPS, a lot of the hardcores have faded away. Olympia Gym in Wakefield has a great PL reputation. There is BayState in Scituate, but The Peps (Maynard & Framingham) are gone, as so are many others.

There is a Gold’s Gym right next to the McGrath Highway. Like 3 miles from Davis Square. Next to the Home Depot and thearte, not sure what the atmosphere in there is like though. And might be a bit easier to get a bus there then Everett.

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
Checkmate wrote:

shit, i had no idea. i’ll have to check it out.[/quote]

I found the place I found to do o-lifting when I was in downtown Boston last Summer for vacation. It is called “Revolution Fitness”

Here is their website:

http://revfitboston.com/

If you poke around on the site, you will see the Crossfit room with bumper plates and o-lifting equipment.

I flirted with the receptionist so she let me workout for free, so I have no idea what a day pass costs or month pass but I imagine based on location and general foofiness of the rest of the gym that it is expensive (the rest of the time I was out in the area I was at a lake in New Hampshire and found a local college that let me use their sports teams’ athletic center for my lifting so I only got one workout at revolution fitness).

[quote]Checkmate wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:
Checkmate wrote:

shit, i had no idea. i’ll have to check it out.

I found the place I found to do o-lifting when I was in downtown Boston last Summer for vacation. It is called “Revolution Fitness”

Here is their website:

http://revfitboston.com/

If you poke around on the site, you will see the Crossfit room with bumper plates and o-lifting equipment.

I flirted with the receptionist so she let me workout for free, so I have no idea what a day pass costs or month pass but I imagine based on location and general foofiness of the rest of the gym that it is expensive (the rest of the time I was out in the area I was at a lake in New Hampshire and found a local college that let me use their sports teams’ athletic center for my lifting so I only got one workout at revolution fitness).[/quote]

Wow. Nice work. Thanks for tracking that down.

Just wanted to throw a vote in for TPS - outstanding gym, can’t speak highly enough of Murph and his crew, very knowledgeable and great motivators. I interned there when they were in their old place; still need to drop by the new location.

[quote]riverhawk23 wrote:
There is a Gold’s Gym right next to the McGrath Highway. Like 3 miles from Davis Square. Next to the Home Depot and thearte, not sure what the atmosphere in there is like though. And might be a bit easier to get a bus there then Everett.[/quote]

I remember the old World Gym there, pretty sure it closed though. It was a body building mecca, but I remember not being terribly impressed by the place.

theres a Gold’s Gym in Medford by the Meadow Glenn mall n State Police Barracks

its behind whatever the fuck that supplement shop is called

anyway, i didnt get a full look at the place cause i was just in applying for a job but form what i saw from windows n stuff it looked like a legit gym.

Im going to throw my vote in for TPS, just be sure that you lock your car up because if you dont, that dirty beaner that trains there might steal your stereo so he can play his death metal on it.

Gotta watch out for that Guatemalan kid.

TPS looks friggin sweet!

I might be going there a bit this summer after my next meet to play with the strongman stuff. It’s pretty close to my work

if i go, i’ll rock a T-Nation shirt to let ya’ll know!

i wanna play with the stronman stuff too but im afraid unless i weigh in at at least 220 i wont be any good at it and it will end up playing me.

plus it seems like itd be an easier segway from bodybuilding than PLing as Strongman is about doing stuff for reps and BBing is all about the heaviest weight you can use for moderate reps.

I’ll be doing 1 or 2 strongman meets out in NY this summer at around 200lbs.

Just make sure you have muscles :wink: