Gyms in Boston?

Hey all,

I’m moving to Boston this summer and need to find a quality gym. Any gym that has power racks and bumper plates preferably.

I’ll be working in Davis Square in Somerville but have no idea where I will be living yet. I’d like to get an idea of where the good spots are before I start looking for an apartment. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
B16

i think Cressey performance is there. I dont know if they take on independent members or just training/rehabilitation clients.

huge city like that ought to have a good PL or OL gym, which often have bumpers.

-chris

Cressey’s place isn’t really near Boston any more.

Check out TPS (Total Performance Sports) in Everett. It’s the next town over from Sommerville. They are a PL/Strongman/MMA gym. They have power racks, monolifts, every bar imaginable, bumper plates stones, tires, kegs, etc. If I were a little closer I’d be there in a heartbeat.

http://www.totalperformancesports.com/

[quote]Modi wrote:

Check out TPS (Total Performance Sports) in Everett. It’s the next town over from Sommerville. They are a PL/Strongman/MMA gym. They have power racks, monolifts, every bar imaginable, bumper plates stones, tires, kegs, etc. If I were a little closer I’d be there in a heartbeat.

[/quote]

Yeah Cressey’s is way out there. I’ll probably head that way if i need some specific help but otherwise i’m looking for a more day to day gym.

That Total Performance looks pretty good. It’s hard to tell what location is best because i have no idea how to get around boston and don’t have (and dont want) a car.

This is a great start though. Thanks Modi.

Keep the ideas rollin’!

As Modi said TPS is probably the only real gym in the area, plus I think Dave Tate visited the gym once or twice which is kinda cool.

If I ever move back to the area I will definitely be joining.

My buddy trains with Cressey and Tony Genticore in Hudson, MA. It’s about an hour from Boston, and not the least expensive gym, but he says they have absolutely everything and it’s worth every cent.

Plus, the attitude in the gym and the people all kick ass.

TPS is the only notable gym near the city that i can think of. there are plenty of commerical gyms in the city that have power racks, but i doubt you’ll find bumper.

TPS is the only notable gym near the city that i can think of. there are plenty of commerical gyms in the city that have power racks, but i doubt you’ll find bumper plates.

[quote]Modi wrote:

[/quote]

x2

except you cant use any of the strongman stuff.

well, theres a giant ass waiting list from what ive heard b/c you need to be supervised by a trainer for safety reasons.

be advised, theres no machines whatsoever.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Modi wrote:

x2

well, theres a giant ass waiting list from what ive heard b/c you need to be supervised by a trainer for safety reasons.

be advised, theres no machines whatsoever.[/quote]

There’s no waiting list, no one besides my training partners taught me how to use the tires, stones, conan’s wheel, etc. You can use it as long as you’re not an idiot. TPS also has bumper plates…I use 'em haha. It’s deff. an awesome gym that I like to call my gym.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Modi wrote:

x2

There’s no waiting list, no one besides my training partners taught me how to use the tires, stones, conan’s wheel, etc. You can use it as long as you’re not an idiot. TPS also has bumper plates…I use 'em haha. It’s deff. an awesome gym that I like to call my gym.[/quote]

Ok. So for all you locals, if i wanted to train at Total Performance and had to work in Davis Square where is the best place to live between the two? I ask because i don’t have a car and my motorcycle will be probably be useless until spring 2010.

I literally no nothing about getting around Boston other than that it can be a pain in the arse.

Thanks
B16

[quote]Bravo-1-6 wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Modi wrote:

x2

There’s no waiting list, no one besides my training partners taught me how to use the tires, stones, conan’s wheel, etc. You can use it as long as you’re not an idiot. TPS also has bumper plates…I use 'em haha. It’s deff. an awesome gym that I like to call my gym.

Ok. So for all you locals, if i wanted to train at Total Performance and had to work in Davis Square where is the best place to live between the two? I ask because i don’t have a car and my motorcycle will be probably be useless until spring 2010.

I literally no nothing about getting around Boston other than that it can be a pain in the arse.

Thanks
B16
[/quote]

everett and somerville border each other, pull up a google map, put it the adress of TPS and compare it to davis square. all in all itd be like a quick drive.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Modi wrote:

x2

There’s no waiting list, no one besides my training partners taught me how to use the tires, stones, conan’s wheel, etc. You can use it as long as you’re not an idiot. TPS also has bumper plates…I use 'em haha. It’s deff. an awesome gym that I like to call my gym.[/quote]

i was talking to my friend the other day who works out there and i was asking em if he ever used the barbell with the tires on em or any of the other strongman atuff and he said there was a line and you needed a trainer. maybe you have special perks cause youve been going there longer and know what youre doing.

oh you dont have a car…didnt notice that. ummm youre gonna have to learn the bus routes then. i dont know any of the Davis-Broadway routes

go to MBTA.com and hit “plan a trip” then type in the info, there should be a few different routes displayed.

Everett doesnt have a T stop so youll either have to take a bus like i said or get on the T at Davis Square, switch onto the Orange Line get off at Wellington and hop on another bus down Broadway in Everett

it sounds like kinda complicated but it really isnt. itll prob take like a half hour to do though, probaly longer your first time since you dont know where you are. but the place is a legit gym and if you really want that kind of atmosphere itll probaly be worth it to you.

There’s a Gold’s right behind Fenway. I workout there before games sometimes, ha.

[quote]Bravo-1-6 wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Modi wrote:

x2

Thanks
B16
[/quote]

Aren’t there decent places in Davis Square? I’d check out the part of Malden that’s close to the Winchester border. Everett is overun by Brazilians (may not be a bad thing) or you can live in Surburbia like me.

detazathoth wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Modi wrote:

x2

i was talking to my friend the other day who works out there and i was asking em if he ever used the barbell with the tires on em or any of the other strongman atuff and he said there was a line and you needed a trainer. maybe you have special perks cause youve been going there longer and know what youre doing.[/quote]

Who was it? I think the only people I’ve seen that need to get taught to do it is the average Joe’s and Jane’s that are complete beginners.

[quote]bpeloquin wrote:
There’s a Gold’s right behind Fenway. I workout there before games sometimes, ha.

[/quote]

Urgh, I didn’t like that place. The actual gym is pretty cool and a one of the trainers does use a lot of T-Nation stuff in his programming, but they’re so pushy on membership and paying for stuff you don’t need.

oh you dont have a car…didnt notice that. ummm youre gonna have to learn the bus routes then. i dont know any of the Davis-Broadway routes

go to MBTA.com and hit “plan a trip” then type in the info, there should be a few different routes displayed.

Everett doesnt have a T stop so youll either have to take a bus like i said or get on the T at Davis Square, switch onto the Orange Line get off at Wellington and hop on another bus down Broadway in Everett

it sounds like kinda complicated but it really isnt. itll prob take like a half hour to do though, probaly longer your first time since you dont know where you are. but the place is a legit gym and if you really want that kind of atmosphere itll probaly be worth it to you.[/quote]

x2, it’s really not that complicated, there’s an actual bus stop that’s right next to TPS. I’ll try and see what bus route it is when I go train tmr.

Oh, and the Strength Athletes train from 4-6pm Mon - Wed - Friday