Gymnastics Rules!

While watching my son, age 10, in gymnastics class, the competition team of the school where he trains came in and began exercising. Talk about amazing! These kids would sit in a split, put there hands between their legs, and push themselves up backwards into perfect handstands. They’d then reverse the motion, all under perfect control, back to the split. We parents were just stunned! These kids were maybe 9 or 10, ripped, and some of the girls were heavily muscled!
It was truly amazing!

So, I guess the point of the post is: if you have young kids and want them to achieve their best physically, take 'em to a good gymnastics school.

great post, very true. Start your kid off in gymnastics and when they try out other sports they’ll be so far ahead of everyone else it’s mind blowing.

I have three children taking gymnastics. I definitely recommend it. The strength and flips carry over to other sports. It is amazing the flips and tricks they can do off a diving board or on skis.

My daughter can perform more chin-ups and pullups than I can and she is eight.

Last year, we watched my daughter’s coach, a young woman, do a chinup while in a full split, hold it at the top, all the while explaining to the children exactly what she wanted them to do. She didn’t even realize that what she was doing was amazing to we parents!

I hope the gymnastics carries over to basketball, which is why my 10 year old boy does it.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Last year, we watched my daughter’s coach, a young woman, do a chinup while in a full split, hold it at the top, all the while explaining to the children exactly what she wanted them to do. She didn’t even realize that what she was doing was amazing to we parents!

I hope the gymnastics carries over to basketball, which is why my 10 year old boy does it.[/quote]

It should help his jumping. It will give him tons of upper body strength. It is amazing what they do on the rings and pummel horse.

Yes, gymnastics does rule. Its a lot of pain but the gains are unparalleled.

I’m in Chicago right now and can’t find gymnastics classes for adults anywhere. Kids, kids, kids, kids… What about ME? I want to play, too!

Any ideas? Google has gotten me just so far…

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
I hope the gymnastics carries over to basketball, which is why my 10 year old boy does it.[/quote]

You must be beside yourself with grief that he doesn’t play football. Gymnastics will carry over to cheer leading…

But really, your kid will be shoulders over anyone else wrt strength in any sport he plays due to gymnastics. Good for him.

I have been strength training for some time now a former olympic gymnast (female), and currently in the pro ranks. All I can say is that she is the strongest person pound-for-pound that I have ever encountered.
For example:
wide grip pull-ups, 25 Lb. weight attachment, 15 reps, TIMES THREE.

Push-ups, with 25 pound plate, 3 x 100

She weighs 117 Lbs and squats 225

The three times a week that we meet are always an immense joy.