Gymnastics Rings in Dorm Room?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
“larger then average” for a dorm probably still isn’t very big. And people are supposed to be ok with you playing with your rings while they are trying to relax or study?[/quote]

If you don’t expect your roommate to be doing all manner of things while you are trying to relax or study, you are in for a rude awakening if/when you get to college. I didnt complain about my roommate blasting the grateful dead because I could deal with it, or study in the lounge, and I’m sure he didnt complain about stuff I did that annoyed him because he learned to deal one way or another. I’m really not very familiar with these rings, but from what’s being described it just doesnt strike me as all that big of a deal.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
“larger then average” for a dorm probably still isn’t very big. And people are supposed to be ok with you playing with your rings while they are trying to relax or study?

If you don’t expect your roommate to be doing all manner of things while you are trying to relax or study, you are in for a rude awakening if/when you get to college. I didnt complain about my roommate blasting the grateful dead because I could deal with it, or study in the lounge, and I’m sure he didnt complain about stuff I did that annoyed him because he learned to deal one way or another. I’m really not very familiar with these rings, but from what’s being described it just doesnt strike me as all that big of a deal.
[/quote]

Agreed, but I really think it matters in terms of dorm space. I know mine was a hole in the wall, but I’ve seen dorm rooms as big as 500 sqr ft. They were more like miniature apartments. I say ask your roommate. If he’s cool with it go for it. If not, consider the consequences of being on bad terms.

Good luck with it and have fun at college.

[quote] zephead4747 wrote:
“larger then average” for a dorm probably still isn’t very big. And people are supposed to be ok with you playing with your rings while they are trying to relax or study?

Get fucking real, the world is not about you. Do it elsewhere.[/quote]

lol the room is big. I don’t know any other way to say it to make you understand(Not that you are trying to understand, you’re just trying to irritate me now, and I’m just playing along because I’m not posting in this thread again after today)

Why wouldn’t he be okay with me playing on the rings in the room? He studies in the library. and in the room he relaxes by playing xbox. Him getting upset about me using rings or paralettes would be like me getting mad that he is playing xbox in the room. It’s just how I like to unwind. Although, me using the rings isn’t nearly as disruptive as him playing xbox.

[quote] mjc381 wrote: I went to Penn state and the gym had a place for gymnastics and it sure as hell was Not in the dorm rooms.

on a side note playing with rings is pretty gay, why don’t you just go to the gym at your school and lift there. You’ll love the staredowns from the steakheads at the university gym.[/quote]

It’s great that your school had a place for gymnastics but mine does not. And the dorm seems like a good place for ring training to me.

I also do lift in the main gym but I’ve never had any “staredowns(?)” with “steakheads(?)”…

Plus you guys(zephead&mjc381) are dumb because you don’t like rings =).

well, as long as your aren’t flippy kicking him in the face doing this:

and it’s not a dorm sized dorm, I don’t see the issue. I’ve never seen a dorm room larger then my bedroom however, so whatever. Just don’t get choked out with a pillow :).

oh lol. I’m not going to be doing that.

All I do is pull up and dip variations/combinations and various static holds,hold transitions, and planche stuff. No swinging for me.

I just realized I didn’t state very clearly what I would be doing on the rings.

No offense intended, but you weigh 145. Get rid of the fad training and go do some work in the weight room and in the cafeteria.

Haha None taken but I don’t think gymnastics training counts as a fad its been around just as long(if not longer) than traditional weight lifting.

It is “tried and true” and has established methods of progression that definitely yield impressive results.

AND I also already said I do regular lifts( squats, deadlifts, O lifts, etc…) in the weight room…

But either way my goals are more geared towards increasing speed, power, and progressing through gymnastics strength skills. I don’t really set weight gain goals.

my nutrition is pretty solid also. I plan & prepare most of my meals and follow the Precision Nutrition guidelines pretty strictly.

What I am doing is appropriate for my goals but if I was doing some fad thing, your advice would have been very helpful =)

[quote]badams10 wrote:

and I really can’t see myself breaking the PVC(especially if there is pipe within pipe) at barely 150 pounds. even if I’m doing weighted stuff…but maybe I’m in for a surprise…

I guess I’m just crazy and doomed to be “that guy”.[/quote]

The PVC will not work if you do anything on the rings other than just hang. One of the female posters here made a pull up bar out of PVC and it was very wobbly. The forces you exert on the rings will be much higher.

Of course you seem to have already made up ypur mind so be sure to post pics.

I just take my olympic rings and do them in the school weight room. No one ever gives me trouble about. They have a really high pull-up bar. A smith machine works as well.

Regarding the dorms, depending on how the stairs and fire exits are set up, you might be able to find something stable to hang the rings on.