Gymnastic Movements and Exercises

Hey CT,
Lately the only option of training for myself has been gymnastic movements and exercises, I’m wondering if you could spare some wisdom as to your experience or if you know of someone who would help me progress.

The reason for my selection of training style is for the reason that I am currently recovering from a lower back and neck issue due to careless lifting. I am not one to be careless, however, when dealing heavy weights, specifically de-loading (dropping)I lack a proper form and injure myself. In addition I have found that gymnastic training has improved my core strength and stability significantly as they have been my main weakness for many years (Weak lower abdominal section is cause for my hernia when I was 17). Most of my issues seem to be improving as I stray away from the heavy lifting (only temporary)and focus on gymnastic training (Specifically bars & rings).

My current goals are to focus on gymnastic movements and a LOT of stretching (I am extremely tight, and if I do not remedy this I fear that my lifting career may not be exist in my distant future).

I apologize for my background info., but I felt as if in order to further myself it was necessary.

You’re the first person I thought of that would know or know of someone that would aid me in my journey to achieve a my goals in life, both in fitness and in health.

Cheers,
AG36

P.S - Picture is to show how much your information and the information of all staff on T-Nation has helped me grow and progress! (5 years of hard work and dedication)

[quote]AG36 wrote:
Hey CT,
Lately the only option of training for myself has been gymnastic movements and exercises, I’m wondering if you could spare some wisdom as to your experience or if you know of someone who would help me progress.

The reason for my selection of training style is for the reason that I am currently recovering from a lower back and neck issue due to careless lifting. I am not one to be careless, however, when dealing heavy weights, specifically de-loading (dropping)I lack a proper form and injure myself. In addition I have found that gymnastic training has improved my core strength and stability significantly as they have been my main weakness for many years (Weak lower abdominal section is cause for my hernia when I was 17). Most of my issues seem to be improving as I stray away from the heavy lifting (only temporary)and focus on gymnastic training (Specifically bars & rings).

My current goals are to focus on gymnastic movements and a LOT of stretching (I am extremely tight, and if I do not remedy this I fear that my lifting career may not be exist in my distant future).

I apologize for my background info., but I felt as if in order to further myself it was necessary.

You’re the first person I thought of that would know or know of someone that would aid me in my journey to achieve a my goals in life, both in fitness and in health.

Cheers,
AG36

P.S - Picture is to show how much your information and the information of all staff on T-Nation has helped me grow and progress! (5 years of hard work and dedication)[/quote]

I’m not an expert on body weight training and will not claim to be and give you improper advice. There are quite a few good bodyweight exercises on this website (just do a search). There are also many good books you can read… “The Naked Warrior” by Pavel, “Building the Gymnastic Bodies” by coach Sommer, “Convict Conditioning” by Paul Wade and “Pushing the limits” by Al Kavadlo (who has been featured on T-nation in some articles).

What are you doing on rings? Nice phsyqiue - are you smaller, weaker than before when training with weights? I felt much better doing bodyweight stuff too but eventually it makes you too small …

I’m not an expert on body weight training and will not claim to be and give you improper advice. There are quite a few good bodyweight exercises on this website (just do a search). There are also many good books you can read… “The Naked Warrior” by Pavel, “Building the Gymnastic Bodies” by coach Sommer, “Convict Conditioning” by Paul Wade and “Pushing the limits” by Al Kavadlo (who has been featured on T-Nation in some articles).[/quote]

Thanks CT, I appreciate your advice, I’ll definitely look into those books mentioned and look through previous material!

[quote]-Sigil- wrote:
What are you doing on rings? Nice phsyqiue - are you smaller, weaker than before when training with weights? I felt much better doing bodyweight stuff too but eventually it makes you too small …[/quote]

Thanks the compliment it’s quite generous! I haven’t completely converted to body-weight training just yet, in addition it is only for the short-term.
I’m using body-weight training to strengthen my weaknesses and using it as a supplement to my regular training (When I’m fully capable to perform weight training).
I’m expecting to lose absolute strength, but in return gain relative strength in the time-period of 2-3 months.
With regards to current training, I don’t have a planned routine (reason why I’m asking for advice). Although, I’ve been practicing the movements done by Hannibal for King (the very basics).

Hopefully that provides whatever insight you were seeking.
AG36