Gymnast Bodybuilder Crossfit

just my opinion.

over the years i had memberships of a lot of gyms. i seen in the normal gym where most members want to be a bodybuilder, i seen their body looking just about the same after a year plus training. in the gymnastic facility its so common to see the bodys go from fit looking to super fit built looking. and most recently, the few times i been a guest at my friends crosssfit gym, those guys really transfer there bodies like the gymnasts…seen guys in early spring then recently , and they look way better…

it could be just the individuals at the 3 different gyms, but maybe its got more to do with the workouts. i know a lot can play into this, intensity, diet, how often, but i was a gym rat and was there alot. the normal bb gym i seen the same guys busting their ass doing benches, presses, curls, deads, squats, but they just lookd the same in apperance ten months after the first time i seen them…

the gymnasts went from built to fantastic looking as well as the crossfit guys…those 2 gyms are more bodyweight movements at a high intendity, but they just got better looking over a period of time. are the gymnastic movements and the xfit movements, ring dips, rope climbs, thrusters hard running and of course the high bar pommell horse and hard ab training better for to to change your body than the normal curls benches presses etc…

from what i seen, the gymnaasts and xfit blew away the normal bodybuilers on how fast they got the better look going.it could all be the people i seen in these gyms too. maybe the gymnasts and xfit people were more dedicated than th pure bodybuilders wanna bes… my friend that does xfit these last few years looks amazing now. t

hey do pullups, i think 30 a day for a warmup 6 days a week., lots of abs for a warm up too. maybe its the exercises. i cant pinpoint it, but the exercises and the intensisy of gymnastic training and xfit gotta have something to do with it. see the bodybuilders do a set, rest 2 minutes, then another set. seen xfit guys climb a long rope then do pullups when they get down. amazing bi’s and arms… gymnnasts are just built. period… none of their training is ez. the bodybuilder cheats in lat pulldowns, the gumnast does pullups on the high bar. cant cheat on that… why do xfit and guynasts look away better after a few years of training than the guy doing bb movements after training 2 years? just going by what i seen

Ha! Seems like you already know the answers to your questions. 90 percent of any training program is believing in it and pursuing your goals. Sounds like you believe in xfit, so maybe you should dedicate yourself to it and get to work. It all depends on what your trying to achieve as to what training you pursue. A xfitter would be ill suited to powerlift and powerlifter ill suited to xfit.

To answer your question though, there are probably more wannabe bodybuilders than any other type of trainee. If you waltz in to the gym and half-ass any type of program you arenâ??t going to achieve much of anything… just so happens there are more fuck off body builders. Also, you are probably categorizing any casual gym goer as a bodybuilder as most do.

Moral of the story? Donâ??t go to the gym and fuck off!

wow, a legit question/comment and a comment like that. i bike race…i’m no xfitter… i just seen this over the years. was just wondering why…

Probably because whatever ‘bodybuilders’ or ‘lifters’ are doing it wrong. You go to train gymnastics and, well you aren’t going to teach yourself, jump on some rings and put on a 9.5 performance. You will have a crapload of coaches and trainers.

Same with crossfit, you will have someone coordinating the training and putting together programs.

If you look for a lifter, bodybuilder or powerlifter with good coaching and a good program, you will see the results. Not talking about a 24 hour fitness chubby chick, or ‘bro’ ‘trainer’.

A lot of people in gyms just show up like it’s some kind of chore, or they half ass it. Find some people that take it seriously and follow a regiment and then make your comparisons. I’m trying to be as nice as I can, no disrespect intended!

Maybe you just like their look, where as bodybuilders don’t. I wasn’t impressed with how Olympic gymnasts look, most of them and Xfitters look like 2nd year college football athletes. It’s not bad, but not something to make me say wow.

Bodybuilders on the other hand are all lumped together. There are guys that go to the gym just to talk and hang out. That doesn’t mean they are training to be bodybuilders. There are guys that just want to bench 400lbs, that doesn’t make them bodybuilders, some just want to be strong or big as hell. Imagine if I lumped every guy who tries to do a pull up at the park as a gymnast, or anybody who plays kickball as a Xfitter. Would you still say they all look in shape?

I agree with the that you’re just seeing a lot of “bench 135 lbs then do some jerky lat pulldowns and curls” type of “bodybuilders.” Also gymnasts and crossfitters tend to be more cut, which looks way better

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
Also gymnasts and crossfitters tend to be more cut, which looks way better[/quote]

Agree with this, I think anyone who is leaner will naturally look bigger & better than someone at say 15%+ bf levels. Most people that start X-fit and gymnastics do so because they want to get fit/compete. Guys who start with bodybuilding will train to get bigger. I think its easier to see progress in someone who is getting leaner than in someone who is putting on muscle, especially when there may be a little bit of fat covering those gains.

You see this all the time when comparing body transformation photos, the fat loss is easy to see compared to seeing muscle gain.

Do you realize you said “seen” a TON of times, and it was used wrong EACH TIME???

[quote]spk wrote:
wow, a legit question/comment and a comment like that. i bike race…i’m no xfitter… i just seen this over the years. was just wondering why…[/quote]

I’m bumping this topic because I find it fascinating and quoting this particular comment to clear things up. I don’t think Hambone79 was telling you to “fuck off” i think he meant:

“Don’t go to the gym and dick around”

About the OP: Many people on this site say that Crossfit turns men into women (physique-wise) though they tend to only make this opinion based on the crossfit mainsite (which most affiliates iirc say is garbage). I was wondering if anybody around these forums has attended an affiliate and had a good transformation/results.

[quote]setto222 wrote:

[quote]spk wrote:
wow, a legit question/comment and a comment like that. i bike race…i’m no xfitter… i just seen this over the years. was just wondering why…[/quote]

I’m bumping this topic because I find it fascinating and quoting this particular comment to clear things up. I don’t think Hambone79 was telling you to “fuck off” i think he meant:

About the OP: Many people on this site say that Crossfit turns men into women (physique-wise) though they tend to only make this opinion based on the crossfit mainsite (which most affiliates iirc say is garbage). I was wondering if anybody around these forums has attended an affiliate and had a good transformation/results.[/quote]

One of my friends joined a crossfit gym for a year and he got very good results, better results than in the previous five years at a commercial gym. The reason wasn’t due to a difference in or even increased frequency of training, it was due to factor that is simply missing from regular gyms.

Community.

When there is community within a gym there is encouragement, friendly competition, and an extra level of accountability that people do not get when their fitness pursuits are solitary journeys. The culture part of physical culture is largely gone. Someone decides they want to get bigger, faster, and stronger, and they are often left to their own devices and maybe at odds with those already in their lives. Specialty gyms, like for strength training and power or Olympic lifting, foster environments where people can learn proper technique and develop relationships and this can lead to greater success in individual goals.

[quote]fncj wrote:

[quote]setto222 wrote:

[quote]spk wrote:

About the OP: Many people on this site say that Crossfit turns men into women (physique-wise) though they tend to only make this opinion based on the crossfit mainsite (which most affiliates iirc say is garbage). I was wondering if anybody around these forums has attended an affiliate and had a good transformation/results.[/quote]

One of my friends joined a crossfit gym for a year and he got very good results, better results than in the previous five years at a commercial gym. The reason wasn’t due to a difference in or even increased frequency of training, it was due to factor that is simply missing from regular gyms.

Community.

When there is community within a gym there is encouragement, friendly competition, and an extra level of accountability that people do not get when their fitness pursuits are solitary journeys. The culture part of physical culture is largely gone. Someone decides they want to get bigger, faster, and stronger, and they are often left to their own devices and maybe at odds with those already in their lives. Specialty gyms, like for strength training and power or Olympic lifting, foster environments where people can learn proper technique and develop relationships and this can lead to greater success in individual goals.[/quote]

Fully agree with this. Regardless of goals, without intensity, drive and dedication you won’t achieve much more than beginner gains. Seen people who lift weights in a commercial gym aiming to get bigger yet they don’t/won’t eat big and there is just no progression. I think with a lot of crossfitters and gymnasts they find something they have a passion for and a community that pushes them, hence they make greater progress than the average gym goer. It would be wrong to dismiss bodybuilding, because the average gym goer is not representative of those bodybuilders who train and eat properly.

[quote]fncj wrote:

[quote]setto222 wrote:

[quote]spk wrote:

Community.

When there is community within a gym there is encouragement, friendly competition, and an extra level of accountability that people do not get when their fitness pursuits are solitary journeys. The culture part of physical culture is largely gone. Someone decides they want to get bigger, faster, and stronger, and they are often left to their own devices and maybe at odds with those already in their lives. Specialty gyms, like for strength training and power or Olympic lifting, foster environments where people can learn proper technique and develop relationships and this can lead to greater success in individual goals.[/quote]

That makes a lot of sense. I find even with doing a random WOD from an affiliate website yesterday (i’ve never really delved into CF) i found that I was more motivated just because I wanted to compete with others in the comment section. Not to mention it was a nice change from the template I’ve stuck to in the last 8 weeks. I suppose this could be a reason why people who keep a training log online will prosper compared to those who keep their logs to themselves. It’s as if it makes them more accountable.

I will say this, I felt much more “athletic” for lack of a better word, after my CF workout than I’ve felt in a while. I guess it was the excitement of doing something a bit new combined with the motivation to compete with others online. I don’t really ever see myself drinking the kool-aid though. CF is exercise for me and that’s about it.

I joined a CrossFit affiliate after my wife had joined and been working out there for about a month. I started there at around 298 pounds and dropped 60 lbs in 6 months. It was the lightest I have been in a long time. I got stronger due to the newbie gains but then I was only getting as strong as I needed to for the actual workouts. We do have strength programming before the actual workout but there’s really not enough volume to really build and grow.

I started to do strict strength training, dabbling with GSLP, 5/3/1 and a mish mash of Oly cycles. I put back on about 30 pounds over the next 12 months but all my lifts skyrocketed.

I just started going back to CrossFit classes (I still did my strength training at the CrossFit gym because it’s very well equipped) as I want to drop some weight. My plan for this year is to hit the CrossFit classes Monday and Wednesday, and weight train Tues, Thursday and either Friday or Saturday depending on what we have planned with the kids.

CrossFit is excellent for dropping weight and changing body composition, especially for those who lack motivation because there’s a lot of other people around you pushing you. For me, I’m not an “endurance” type of person. I always told the trainer that if my life depends on it, I’m not running and dying tired. I’ll stand my ground and fight.

Personally, I would recommend CrossFit to anyone looking to lose weight and get a little stronger. Once you have exposure to some of the lifts, you may decide to go in a different direction. It has been very effective though but I prefer strength training to being good at working out, or the “Sport of Fitness” as they like to say.

I think this says a lot about the solitary bodybuilding style trainer who looks phenomenal. My gym is a cross-fit gym and a commercial gym all in one. The top five solitary bodybuilding guys blow the top five crossfit guys out of the water. These top level guys, and at least five outstanding fitness/figure style training females have head turning physiques you cannot ignore. They turn heads even fully clothed. The females drop so many jaws in their workout gear, I am sure they are responsible for many missed spots and treadmill falling incidents.
On the other hand the crossfit ppl usually start off totally out of shape and develop into healthy fit ppl. Some look good in a bathing suit but none garner the head turning or jaw dropping mentioned above. Look what they have going for them, a community, competition, someone to plan their workouts, some one to yell “come on, two rounds left” and someone to high five them when they are done. Some one to say “Hey where were you Tuesday, you slacker.” All this leads to steady progress.
And then there is the majority of ppl. The sheep if you will. They come with a copy of a fitness mag, then chat between sets, workout like it is a chore and it doesn’t matter as long as they show up. The women do almost only cardio. The men do almost only weights. They tend to keep it to 30 minutes not counting shower, hot tub, and protein shake time. They actually look better than someone who doesn’t work out all except they never progress. The same weights, year in and year out.
Which group has the least advantages and the most impressive results? The answer is obvious. Even if society wants a crossfit body, I know which kind of person I would rather be. If you look the same year in and year out…you ain’t no bodybuilder in my book.

[quote]Bull52 wrote:
I joined a CrossFit affiliate after my wife had joined and been working out there for about a month. I started there at around 298 pounds and dropped 60 lbs in 6 months. It was the lightest I have been in a long time. I got stronger due to the newbie gains but then I was only getting as strong as I needed to for the actual workouts. We do have strength programming before the actual workout but there’s really not enough volume to really build and grow.

I started to do strict strength training, dabbling with GSLP, 5/3/1 and a mish mash of Oly cycles. I put back on about 30 pounds over the next 12 months but all my lifts skyrocketed.

I just started going back to CrossFit classes (I still did my strength training at the CrossFit gym because it’s very well equipped) as I want to drop some weight. My plan for this year is to hit the CrossFit classes Monday and Wednesday, and weight train Tues, Thursday and either Friday or Saturday depending on what we have planned with the kids.

CrossFit is excellent for dropping weight and changing body composition, especially for those who lack motivation because there’s a lot of other people around you pushing you. For me, I’m not an “endurance” type of person. I always told the trainer that if my life depends on it, I’m not running and dying tired. I’ll stand my ground and fight.

Personally, I would recommend CrossFit to anyone looking to lose weight and get a little stronger. Once you have exposure to some of the lifts, you may decide to go in a different direction. It has been very effective though but I prefer strength training to being good at working out, or the “Sport of Fitness” as they like to say.[/quote]

this resonates true with me. I joined Crossfit to shed some pounds. Having no training background that happened fast. I got exposure to the lifts and nevr looked back. joined a gym where powerlifting is the norm and started training hard. it gave me exposure to lifts and i found a training style i enjoy. to each his own…