T Nation

Gymin it Up, GST Style!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to posting on these forums and am going to be journaling my bulking experience using my program, Growth Stimulus Training (GST).

I am actually just coming off of a cut in which I went from roughly 200lbs to roughly 188lbs. I have pics posted in the Rate Your Physique forum if you want to check them out.

For those who want to learn more about GST and see how I operate, stay current in here. This should be a pretty decent journal, as I'm pretty passionate about my training and the entire lifestyle that comes with it.

I am a career trainer myself, so I literally made my life revolve around training. I've got over a decade of experience under my belt as well, so any questions anyone has, feel free to ask away and I'll make sure to answer them.

Thanks for reading,

Ryan

I'll definetely be following, GST sounds interesting in itself.

October 25, 2010

Macro 1, Micro 2 (6 Rep Core Lift, 4-6 Rep Supplement Lifts)

Press Day

Normally my core lift set/rep/scheme would look something like this on my first micro: 3 sets, 70% 1RM, 6 reps, 6 reps, AMRAP. However, I am experimenting with a bench press progression table which has me doing things a little differently. As some of you get to know GST, you'll see how my press core lift will differ from my squat, pull, and lift core lifts. Just wanted to clear up any future confusion about my press days being different than the rest of the days.

Flat BB Bench Press
5 sets, Progression Table Method

Flat DB Press
4 sets of 4-6 reps

BB Floor Press
4 sets of 4-6 reps

Standing Close Grip Push Press
4 sets of 4-6 reps

Tricep Pressdowns
3 sets of 4-6 reps

Direct Ab Work: Hanging Leg Raises

Weak Point Training: Calves

Today told me that I'll be experiencing the wonderful benefits of increased carb intake over the coming weeks. My endurance is increasing as well as my top end strength levels. I enjoy the heavy supplement days, as they allow me to see where I'm at and push my limits. Each supplement set/rep scheme has its positives, but that is why I really like the high intensity days.

Bench press went well, and I'm also looking forward to seeing how the progression table is going to work into my program. I'm just ready to gain some weight back and start feeling strong again. 3 months on a voluntary cut is good enough for me!

For those following, let's get this show on the road! Tomorrow I'll be hitting my squat day, which will be a tough one. I'll be hitting some moderately heavy squats and following them up with heavy lunges, front squats, leg extensions, direct ab work, and weak point calf training. Definitely gonna be hittin my Quake 10.0 preworkout, as I'll need the energy!

I'm anxious for my training tonight. Heavy DB lunges are always something to get your focus going!

One appointment to go and then its squat time!!

Will update after the lift.

October 28, 2010

Macro 1, Micro 2 (6 Rep Core Lift, 4-6 Rep Supplement Lifts)

Squat Day w/ Bench Press Progression Work

BB Bench
Progression Work

BB Squat
Micro 2 Core Scheme

Stationary DB Lunge
4 sets of 4-6 reps

Leg Extension
4 sets of 4-6 reps

Direct Ab Work: Kneeling Cable Crunch

Weak Point Training: Calves

Worked out with my neighbor today, who I have been training on and off for a few months. Leg days always hit him hard, and he made it though 3/4 of this workout before he said he had to head home. I can only get him to workout once per week, so his progression is slow but steady.

I am feeling my quad soreness already, 5 hours later. Today went great with some highlights of 85lb DB lunges and a ridiculous calf pump from my WPT.

Next stop, deads and pullups!

Sore quads, glutes, and calves.........ya buddy!

Macro 6, Micro 2 (6 rep core lift, 4-6 rep high intensity supplement lift)

Lift/Pull Day

BB Deadlift
Micro 2 Core Scheme

Chin Up
Micro 2 Core Scheme

DB RDL
4 sets of 6 reps

Wide Grip Pullup
4 sets of 6 reps

Close Grip Seated Cable Row
2 sets of 6 reps

DB Hammer Curls
2 sets of 6 reps

Macro 6, Micro 3 (3 rep core lift, 15-20 rep low intensity supplement lift)

Press Day

BB Flat Bench
Progression Scheme

Flat DB Press
2 sets of 20 reps

Close Grip BB Floor Press
2 sets of 20 reps

Close Grip Overhead BB Press
2 sets of 20 reps

Tricep Pressdown
2 sets of 20 reps

Direct Ab Work: Kneeling Cable Crunch