T Nation

Gym Twice a Day- Cardio & Lifting?

Does anyone think it is neccesary to go to the gym two times a day…one cardio and then weight training later??

[quote]tlydi23 wrote:
Does anyone think it is neccesary to go to the gym two times a day…one cardio and then weight training later??[/quote]

Well… what are you trying to achieve.

If your going to ask something vague like this, you need to give us everything…

[quote]tlydi23 wrote:
Does anyone think it is neccesary to go to the gym two times a day…one cardio and then weight training later??[/quote]

What’s your goal?? even if it were to lose some weight i’d say that it’s no necesary to go twice to the gym (you can do cardio at home or in a park).

unless you have a lot of free time i wouldn’t suggest it

my goal rite now is to cut body fat…but doing cardio after a weight training session is just as effective isnt it??

Like the last post said it will kind of depend on what your trying to achieve. It also depends on how many days per week you are able to workout. For example if you are stuck at 3-4 days a week but are able to go twice then cardio would be a good choice the first session.

You don’t necessarily have to go twice everytime either, maybe just 1-2 times a week go twice if that allows you to have 2 other days completely off from the gym.

[quote]tlydi23 wrote:
doing cardio after a weight training session is just as effective isnt it??[/quote]

too many factors to just get a single question.

If you get an honest hard weights session you won’t be able to perform other than steady cardio, i don’t know how much you have to lose, but i’d recommend to hit weights first and some hours later any kind of HIT, you get your metabolism boosted twice and you’ll be able to put much more effort on cardio (snce you won’t be fatigated from lifting).

well i workout around 6 days a week i have enough time whenever…and my goals like i said are to get to or around 10 percent body fat

i can hit the gym all 7 days a week time isnt a problem at all…

[quote]tlydi23 wrote:
my goal rite now is to cut body fat…but doing cardio after a weight training session is just as effective isnt it??[/quote]

I took too long to type my last post. For weight loss yeah I would recommend twice a day. Doing the same 1 hour routine but splitting into 2x30 minute workouts you end up burning more calories than doing it in 1 consecutive hour.

At the 30 minute mark you also won’t be as tired and could easily continue to 40-45. This gives you 2 advantages. 1) More calories burned per minutes of activity. 2) Able to continue periods of activity for slightly longer.

[quote]tlydi23 wrote:
well i workout around 6 days a week i have enough time whenever…and my goals like i said are to get to or around 10 percent body fat[/quote]

What’s your actual weight and BF%.

If you have much time to spend, then i think it will be a lot better that you exercise twice a day.

what kind of program are you following??

yah i was thiking HIIT in the AM and weights after work in the PM i mean im only 18 rite now so i want to get it all figured out

im like 185 5’10 bodyfat mite be around 15 percent pretty high

but i dont want to burn away the muscle i have

[quote]tuchavito wrote:
tlydi23 wrote:
doing cardio after a weight training session is just as effective isnt it??

too many factors to just get a single question.

If you get an honest hard weights session you won’t be able to perform other than steady cardio, i don’t know how much you have to lose, but i’d recommend to hit weights first and some hours later any kind of HIT, you get your metabolism boosted twice and you’ll be able to put much more effort on cardio (snce you won’t be fatigated from lifting).

[/quote]

hahaha, I was able to go on the elepitical HIIT for 3 minutes before dieing (this being after a nice workout with deads and OHP)

[quote]tlydi23 wrote:
but i dont want to burn away the muscle i have[/quote]

Nutrition… Before you even think about Cardio, you got to get your diet in place…

Muscle Retention is based mainly on nutrition, and, for viable weightloss, you need to eat relatively low amount of calories.

yes i currently am just eating oats for breakfast…veggies for other meals and i eat as many as i want usually bec of the fiber content and such as far as carbs and protien around 170-180 grams and fats around 20 grams 3 coming from fish oil…what do u think?

[quote]tlydi23 wrote:
yes i currently am just eating oats for breakfast…veggies for other meals and i eat as many as i want usually bec of the fiber content and such as far as carbs and protien around 170-180 grams and fats around 20 grams 3 coming from fish oil…what do u think?[/quote]

what???

and 20 gr of fat?? that seems too low

i usually get it from a couple almonds and 3 grams from fish oil…i am following this fighter diet

How to calculate the veggies
Pauline Nordin

So you wonder how much veggies I recommend for you to eat? 5% of your bodyweight or 1 gram of carb per lb of weight and that is the amount coming from veggies, the extra additions from oats etc are additional.

For a woman of 100 lbs let us say, 5% is 5 lbs. 5 lbs of veggies has about 115 grams of carbs. So, it is a little bit more than 1 gram of carb per pound of weight from veggies.
If a guy weighs 200 lbs: 5% is 10 lbs. 230 grams of carbs from veggies.

Basically 1 gram of carb per lbs and these carbs coming from veggies. And then you see how much veggies you need to eat to match that. It usually comes up to a decent amount, there by I wanted to have a % to reach for.

Itâ??s a guideline, not a written rule. And depending on what kind of veggies you eat, there will be a difference in amount.

So, either go by 5% of bodyweight intake of veggies, OR count 1 gram of carbs per lb and let that come form veggies.

anyone think this is okay for dieting?

[quote]tlydi23 wrote:
i usually get it from a couple almonds and 3 grams from fish oil…i am following this fighter diet

How to calculate the veggies
Pauline Nordin

So you wonder how much veggies I recommend for you to eat? 5% of your bodyweight or 1 gram of carb per lb of weight and that is the amount coming from veggies, the extra additions from oats etc are additional.

For a woman of 100 lbs let us say, 5% is 5 lbs. 5 lbs of veggies has about 115 grams of carbs. So, it is a little bit more than 1 gram of carb per pound of weight from veggies.
If a guy weighs 200 lbs: 5% is 10 lbs. 230 grams of carbs from veggies.

Basically 1 gram of carb per lbs and these carbs coming from veggies. And then you see how much veggies you need to eat to match that. It usually comes up to a decent amount, there by I wanted to have a % to reach for.

Itâ??s a guideline, not a written rule. And depending on what kind of veggies you eat, there will be a difference in amount.

So, either go by 5% of bodyweight intake of veggies, OR count 1 gram of carbs per lb and let that come form veggies.[/quote]

jesus, that sound horrible.

as most of your carbs are comming from vaeegies (fiber, so it’s not absorbed) you still need an energy source(FAT), if you don’t get an energy source on your diet your body will use protein as an energy source or will even break down muscle tissue.

Why don’t you check CT’s articles?? I’ve got a lot of succes following those his guidelines.