T Nation

Gym Stuff

2 this week:

  1. Brand new for me - I was doing one arm db rows and buddy asks me if he can use my db for his set of db bench.

I said no.

Dude was pissed.

  1. I saw an old school dude in the gym this week. Old zebra / genie pants with a tank top that is barely a shirt. He was doing stiff deads while standing on a bench. I havent seen that for close to 8 years I think.

I still see LOTS of curls in the squat rack in my gym and all sorts of awesome stuff.

My gym rules!

He should be. Benching is more important than rowing.

I think if were going to use the db to curl and you said no, that is reason for justifiable homicide.

This week two guys set up those plastic step up things inside the power rack. They proceeded to use it as a spring board for chins to get a boost 'cause they can’t do a single full chin unassisted.

It was crazy watching them jump and pull at the same time, bouncing up and down for 10-12 reps. This has definitely got to be THE most retarded thing I’ve seen.

Long live the goons.

[quote]dentallica wrote:
2 this week:

  1. Brand new for me - I was doing one arm db rows and buddy asks me if he can use my db for his set of db bench.

I said no.

Dude was pissed.

[/quote]

I’m not going to go off half-cocked because I don’t know the entire story, but why couldn’t you let the guy work in? I’d have to say I might be pissed too if I knew that I could easily get in a set and return it before your rest is over. Especially if it’s the only dumbell with that weight.

[quote]dentallica wrote:
2 this week:

  1. Brand new for me - I was doing one arm db rows and buddy asks me if he can use my db for his set of db bench.

I said no.

Dude was pissed.[/quote]

why won’t you share? meanie. :frowning:

[quote]cueball wrote:
This week two guys set up those plastic step up things inside the power rack. They proceeded to use it as a spring board for chins to get a boost 'cause they can’t do a single full chin unassisted.

It was crazy watching them jump and pull at the same time, bouncing up and down for 10-12 reps. This has definitely got to be THE most retarded thing I’ve seen.

Long live the goons.[/quote]

Maybe they were doing jumping chins (Cross-Fit)? I have no idea what jumping chins is supposed to accomplish but I know they exist.

[quote]roofus_5 wrote:

I’m not going to go off half-cocked because I don’t know the entire story, but why couldn’t you let the guy work in? I’d have to say I might be pissed too if I knew that I could easily get in a set and return it before your rest is over. Especially if it’s the only dumbell with that weight.

[/quote]

  1. My rests are 60 seconds, timed.
  2. Grab either heavier or lighter weights and hammer out some reps. It wont kill you. I wasnt using the 150db so he had other options.
  3. Isn’t that like asking someone doing squats if they could use THAT 45 lb plate on the bar?

I am the last person to get worked up about gym etiquette so I just thought this was weird. Working in on a exercise is one thing - asking for my weights I am using so I can stop training and watch you lift them is another.

Or am I not getting it?

[quote]dentallica wrote:
cueball wrote:
This week two guys set up those plastic step up things inside the power rack. They proceeded to use it as a spring board for chins to get a boost 'cause they can’t do a single full chin unassisted.

It was crazy watching them jump and pull at the same time, bouncing up and down for 10-12 reps. This has definitely got to be THE most retarded thing I’ve seen.

Long live the goons.

Maybe they were doing jumping chins (Cross-Fit)? I have no idea what jumping chins is supposed to accomplish but I know they exist.

[/quote]

The only thing they accomplish is getting your chin above the bar when you can’t pull yourself there. Well, that and making an ass of yourself. They definitely accomplished that.

[quote]dentallica wrote:
roofus_5 wrote:

I’m not going to go off half-cocked because I don’t know the entire story, but why couldn’t you let the guy work in? I’d have to say I might be pissed too if I knew that I could easily get in a set and return it before your rest is over. Especially if it’s the only dumbell with that weight.

  1. My rests are 60 seconds, timed.
  2. Grab either heavier or lighter weights and hammer out some reps. It wont kill you. I wasnt using the 150db so he had other options.
  3. Isn’t that like asking someone doing squats if they could use THAT 45 lb plate on the bar?

I am the last person to get worked up about gym etiquette so I just thought this was weird. Working in on a exercise is one thing - asking for my weights I am using so I can stop training and watch you lift them is another.

Or am I not getting it?[/quote]

Hey, that’s cool. That’s why I didn’t fly off the handle w/o information. I agree, in that case, sharing wasn’t really an option. I just know that if my rest periods are longer, or if I see someone taking a little more time than necissary I have no problem asking to “work in”, always returning weight to original amount if necessary.

As far as the “borrowing that 45 analogy”, no I don’t think it’s the same, but I understand what you are trying to convey.

BTW, good job on being strict on your rest and staying focused on the matter at hand.