T Nation

Gym Numbers of MMA Fighters

I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s curious to know what numbers MMA fighters are racking up in the gym.

Guys like Wanderlei Silva, Coleman, Arona, Randleman, Ortiz, Baroni, GSP and so on.

I’m talking about squat, deadlift and bench, as well as the odd lift someone might know about (the olympic lifts, biceps curls, whatever).

Baroni claimed he benched 450lbs.

I don’t think there’s any way to get an accurate number of this; look at what the NFL claims the players’ numbers are.

The only good answer you’ll find is “not that much”.

Hughes says he has benched 300 and squatted “around 400”.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Hughes says he has benched 300 and squatted “around 400”.[/quote]

Wow, that actually sounds like the truth.

What about tank abbots bench? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Classy_Cojones wrote:
I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s curious to know what numbers MMA fighters are racking up in the gym.

Guys like Wanderlei Silva, Coleman, Arona, Randleman, Ortiz, Baroni, GSP and so on.

I’m talking about squat, deadlift and bench, as well as the odd lift someone might know about (the olympic lifts, biceps curls, whatever).

[/quote]

I have seen both Nog brothers and Bustamante lift weights. They will not impress you.

[quote]Classy_Cojones wrote:
I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s curious to know what numbers MMA fighters are racking up in the gym.

Guys like Wanderlei Silva, Coleman, Arona, Randleman, Ortiz, Baroni, GSP and so on.

I’m talking about squat, deadlift and bench, as well as the odd lift someone might know about (the olympic lifts, biceps curls, whatever).

[/quote]

i doubt most of them even know. mma fighters dont have much use for determining 1rep maxes. baroni says he doesnt even lift weights and according to gsp’s dvd, his weight training consists of barbell complexes.

On some of the behind the scenes stuff shown by spike such as that one Franklin special and the stuff on the pre-fight hype between Hughes vs Gracie, I saw some of their strength training sessions and wasn’t really impressed.

It doesn’t seem from what I’ve seen that many of the MMA fighters train for Max Strength. I could be wrong, but both Franklin and Hughes had a lot of Hammer Strength exercises in their routines…not what I would call optimal for a MMA fighter which will never find themselves in a fixed pattern movement.

Some of the MMA fighters in my gym aren’t too impressive in terms of the weight they do. Actually, I haven’t ever seen one of them do a deadlift or squat.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
Hughes says he has benched 300 and squatted “around 400”.

Wow, that actually sounds like the truth. [/quote]

Yea, that’s why I tended to believe him.

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
What about tank abbots bench? :P[/quote]

Not pretty, but that’s pretty fucking strong.

[quote]BSims wrote:
On some of the behind the scenes stuff shown by spike such as that one Franklin special and the stuff on the pre-fight hype between Hughes vs Gracie, I saw some of their strength training sessions and wasn’t really impressed.

It doesn’t seem from what I’ve seen that many of the MMA fighters train for Max Strength. I could be wrong, but both Franklin and Hughes had a lot of Hammer Strength exercises in their routines…not what I would call optimal for a MMA fighter which will never find themselves in a fixed pattern movement.

Some of the MMA fighters in my gym aren’t too impressive in terms of the weight they do. Actually, I haven’t ever seen one of them do a deadlift or squat.[/quote]

I don’t know about his numbers, but this is Matt Hughes’ training and nutrition plan from his website:

http://www.matt-hughes.com/training.html

I’m not going to argue with his results, but it makes me wonder how much he would improve if he used a more specific program like CWs.

3 times their bodyweight in all the major lifts… just ask Chad Waterbury…lol

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Adamsson wrote:
What about tank abbots bench? :stuck_out_tongue:

Not pretty, but that’s pretty fucking strong.[/quote]

I don’t care how ugly it is.
He looked like he could’ve handled alot more. That’s one strong motherfucker. What does he weigh?

[quote]VorteX wrote:
BSims wrote:
On some of the behind the scenes stuff shown by spike such as that one Franklin special and the stuff on the pre-fight hype between Hughes vs Gracie, I saw some of their strength training sessions and wasn’t really impressed.

It doesn’t seem from what I’ve seen that many of the MMA fighters train for Max Strength. I could be wrong, but both Franklin and Hughes had a lot of Hammer Strength exercises in their routines…not what I would call optimal for a MMA fighter which will never find themselves in a fixed pattern movement.

Some of the MMA fighters in my gym aren’t too impressive in terms of the weight they do. Actually, I haven’t ever seen one of them do a deadlift or squat.

I don’t know about his numbers, but this is Matt Hughes’ training and nutrition plan from his website:

www.matt-hughes.com/training.html

I’m not going to argue with his results, but it makes me wonder how much he would improve if he used a more specific program like CWs.[/quote]

You mean if he gave up martial arts and just focused on how much he could lift?

[quote]ZEB wrote:

You mean if he gave up martial arts and just focused on how much he could lift?

[/quote]

No, I mean how much more explosive etc. would he get if his weights program wasn’t a body part split and he did less steady state cardio.

That Matt Hewhs guys looks like he has his ‘shit’ together as far as diet goes…maybe except for the choice of protien shake, anyway.

[quote]VorteX wrote:
ZEB wrote:

You mean if he gave up martial arts and just focused on how much he could lift?

No, I mean how much more explosive etc. would he get if his weights program wasn’t a body part split and he did less steady state cardio.[/quote]

Tank doing cardio?

Oh…you must mean trotting over to the bathroom to piss out the last dozed beers and make room for a whole new dozen?

[quote]VorteX wrote:

I don’t know about his numbers, but this is Matt Hughes’ training and nutrition plan from his website:

http://www.matt-hughes.com/training.html
[/quote]

That page is bullshit, IMO.