Gym music

Old ipod, thousands of songs. Accidently washed it, so it broke. Stopped listening to music while lifting.

New ipod has like 80 songs in it…only use it when doing cardio. I don’t understand why people need music while lifting. Just go do it.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]detazathoth wrote:

Dead serious.[/quote]
Why moonlight sonata?

Does it not calm you?[/quote]

That’s the third movement, and it is as intense to my ear as any heavy metal tune. Hypes me up, and I would listen to it if I wanted hype-up music, it’s not calming at all. The first two movements are soothing, but the third really shifts into high gear, especially played in the above style like Vladimir Horowitz (usually people only hear the first movement, so everyone things “Moonlight Sonata” is calming).

I also use Cinderella man. Till I collapse is another good eminem track for the gym.

Probably a track no one has heard of:

Also screw all the anti-psyche-up folks

Try doing something like 6 sets of heavy threes in six minutes. Time attack shit. Or twenty rep squats.

Or try to going to a gym where sometimes there is only one other person in the room, and worse yet there is like Italian opera in the background.

My son’s band. Shameless plug. My son is the lead guitar player soloing at 1:30.

Sorry for the indulge, but i spent a lot on lessons for him and he worked hard to get ther.

I avoid getting psyched up every session, but if I feel that I need it, I have quite a selection of things to listen to: if I want noise I’ll go with Demented Are Go, the Stooges, MDC, the Sonics, etc. However if I want more emotion I might go with a slower paced Stooges song, or perhaps some Bob Dylan or even Eminem (although I generally don’t listen to rap). One thing I like doing at the moment is listening to music that’s upbeat and just getting into a positive, rather than psyched-up, mood.

I should add that this is before training, I don’t listen to music during a session.

Anything by Tom T Hall gets me in the mood to do some work

Any playlist that has disturbed ,godsmack ,underoath, or sometimes I set my friends on fire.

[quote]grappling_hook wrote:
That’s the third movement, and it is as intense to my ear as any heavy metal tune. Hypes me up, and I would listen to it if I wanted hype-up music, it’s not calming at all. The first two movements are soothing, but the third really shifts into high gear, especially played in the above style like Vladimir Horowitz (usually people only hear the first movement, so everyone things “Moonlight Sonata” is calming).[/quote]
Yes I know. I guess calming wasn’t quite right. Piano exclusive pieces have never really been able to get my blood pumping even if it’s like Rachmaninoff or something lol.

Clawfinger - Biggest & The Best
Accept - Pandemic

Good stuff.

Sometimes I like to time my Deadlift top sets to sync with the finale of the 1812.

Most of everything else, Squats/Bench/Overhead, even sometimes cleans, I tend to take a more delicate approach. That could either be just mellow classicals or soft 80’s love ballads.

5fdp, parkway drive, hatebreed…anything with hate in it

for whom the bell tolls…metallica
bitter pill…motley crue
tinie tempah…pass out

Oh yeah, I also like Soilent Green’s Sewn Mouth Secrets if I’m going for a big 1rm.

For everyday lifting its hard to top the Amon Amarth discography.

Pandora added a Hard Rock Strength Training and Rap Strength Training station awhile back. Started using those, both pretty good to start and they get better. Same old Pandora issue of a station falling in love with the same 3-4 artists and 20-30 songs, but when they’re good ones that get you amped to lift that’s not a bad thing. I use the Eminem station I put together too, as others have mentioned Eminem has some great songs to lift to.

The earbuds do mess with my focus a bit though, so I tend to drop them on a ME day for the last few sets. The gym I workout at has some great old school speakers which could fix this, but unfortunately they play the worst crap for lifting.

I love seeing some of the videos from Tate, DeFranco, guys at Westside and others. Just some shitty metal or rap blaring in the background, getitng guys amped up.

[quote]Pigeon wrote:
For everyday lifting its hard to top the Amon Amarth discography.[/quote]

wise words there^ “This is fooking metal!”

Getting phyched up in the gym is most of the fun of PLing. I don’t stomp around my commercial gym yelling and screaming like a berserker, but inside my mind I’m on some ancient battlefield knee deep in blood and still swinging.

Adrenaline + testosterone = thank you!

Whole album is heavy as hell.

Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, and Killswitch Engaged.