T Nation

Gym music

random post about this, everyone has those songs that get them hype before a set.
My personal favorites:

asap rocky-brand new guy
meek mill-dreams and nightmares
eminem-cinderella man

Hatebreed - In ashes they shall reap.

I don’t listen to music any more when I lift–gets me too hyped up. But when I did, my favorite was “Now Let Them Tremble” by All That Remains.

Hannah Montana

No You Don’t by NIN

or, really, anything by NIN

Yesterday Don’t Mean Shit, Fucking Hostile and I’m Broken by Pantera

[quote]OmniStyx wrote:
I don’t listen to music any more when I lift–gets me too hyped up. But when I did, my favorite was “Now Let Them Tremble” by All That Remains.[/quote]

I saw this live Saturday night, I got cut off for attempting to incite a mosh pit.

To OP, theres already an awesome thread on this:

Dead serious.

On a serious note, I have actually listened to classical before too. Normally I don’t listen to anything though. Having headphones on while working out is annoying to me.

In all seriousness:

[quote]gurbob wrote:
Hatebreed - In ashes they shall reap.[/quote]
x2 on this. Pretty much anything from hatebreed or devildriver gets me going.

Biohazard! Any of their tracks really but the urban discipline album probably gets most plays

[quote]detazathoth wrote:


Dead serious.[/quote]
Why moonlight sonata?

Does it not calm you? Do you like to lift in a more relaxed state? I have heard of many lifters (mostly Russian) who train in a very relaxed state so that when they are in competition, they get more out of psyching up rather than someone who psyches up pretty much all the time in training.

Classical can be good to lift to for me as well. Not really that kind of classical though. More inspirational sounding stuff than mellow. Also, I tend to get a lot more out of classical music that I have performed at some point. For example (to stick with Beethoven) Egmont Overture is awesome. Nobody else at the gym would think so though.

Bring it on- Nathaniel Dawkins
Get Hyper- Droideka wakes me right up and gets me in the zone, despite being overplayed at the moment.


I love trap rap. It’s angry, persistent, and rhythmic.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]detazathoth wrote:


Dead serious.[/quote]
Why moonlight sonata?

Does it not calm you? Do you like to lift in a more relaxed state? I have heard of many lifters (mostly Russian) who train in a very relaxed state so that when they are in competition, they get more out of psyching up rather than someone who psyches up pretty much all the time in training.

Classical can be good to lift to for me as well. Not really that kind of classical though. More inspirational sounding stuff than mellow. Also, I tend to get a lot more out of classical music that I have performed at some point. For example (to stick with Beethoven) Egmont Overture is awesome. Nobody else at the gym would think so though.[/quote]
I never psych up for sets anymore because I squat everyday. When you don’t psych up for heavy sets and you max out very frequently its no longer a big deal getting under the bar and setting a PB. It becomes old hat. Plus getting too psyched can actually have a negative effect on performance.

Bloody Sunday - the Stand
Shattersphere - Lost in the Flames
Killswitch Engages - This Fire Burns

I am with the hardly ever psych up crowd (thought that was really rare). Even when I do I don’t like to much confusion in my music something kind of low and not to amped up. I like to get into a rage with more visual imagery and keep it bottled up until the lift. But if I do listen to music Chevelle’s “Send the Pain Below” is my favorite or a Breaking Benjamin’s slower stuff. The death metal stuff clutters my mind to much.

Almost forgot. Johnny Cash “Hurt” which I believe was written by Trent Reznor from NIN.

[quote]OmniStyx wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]detazathoth wrote:


Dead serious.[/quote]
Why moonlight sonata?

Does it not calm you? Do you like to lift in a more relaxed state? I have heard of many lifters (mostly Russian) who train in a very relaxed state so that when they are in competition, they get more out of psyching up rather than someone who psyches up pretty much all the time in training.

Classical can be good to lift to for me as well. Not really that kind of classical though. More inspirational sounding stuff than mellow. Also, I tend to get a lot more out of classical music that I have performed at some point. For example (to stick with Beethoven) Egmont Overture is awesome. Nobody else at the gym would think so though.[/quote]
I never psych up for sets anymore because I squat everyday. When you don’t psych up for heavy sets and you max out very frequently its no longer a big deal getting under the bar and setting a PB. It becomes old hat. Plus getting too psyched can actually have a negative effect on performance.[/quote]

^This

I get more out of my training without psyching up and being in a more relaxed state. I do go alongside with the Russian philosophy to train in a very relaxed state so that when I’m are in competition, I get more out of psyching up. I believe the Russians use the term “non- aroused maxes” when referring lifting heavier weights without getting emotional about it.

As for the 3rd movement of the Moonlight Sonata, it’s just one of favorite pieces. That’s all, nothing more to it than that.

Yea one of my training partners first introduced me to the idea of benefiting more on meet day if you remain unpsyched during training and basically just “lift like it’s your job”.