T Nation

Gym Music

I’m looking to change up the music in my mp3 player, I’ve sort of been listening to the same shit while I’m lifting for more than a year and would like some change.

I like to have a mix of angry metal and rap. Some of the songs that have served me well in getting me in a nice pissed-off-and-ready-to-lift-heavy-shit mood time and time again:

DMX - Shot Down (my personal gym favorite. always listen to this in my rest before a ME lift), We’re Back
50Cent - Don’t Push Me, I’ll Whip your Head
Xzibit - My Name
Eminem - The Way I Am, Lose Yourself, Til I Collapse (last one great for 20 rep squats)
Deftones - My Own Summer, Elite
Static X - This is Not
In Flames - Zombie Inc., As the Future Repeats Today, Bullet Ride
Rage Against the Machine - War within a Breath
Sepultura - Rattamahatta, The Hunt, Propaganda

This should give you the general idea. Any recommendations to add to my playlist would be great

We were just having this conversation in this here thread.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/decent_metal?id=2628407&pageNo=0

[quote]TheBlade wrote:
I’m looking to change up the music in my mp3 player, I’ve sort of been listening to the same shit while I’m lifting for more than a year and would like some change.

I like to have a mix of angry metal and rap. Some of the songs that have served me well in getting me in a nice pissed-off-and-ready-to-lift-heavy-shit mood time and time again:

DMX - Shot Down (my personal gym favorite. always listen to this in my rest before a ME lift), We’re Back
50Cent - Don’t Push Me, I’ll Whip your Head
Xzibit - My Name
Eminem - The Way I Am, Lose Yourself, Til I Collapse (last one great for 20 rep squats)
Deftones - My Own Summer, Elite
Static X - This is Not
In Flames - Zombie Inc., As the Future Repeats Today, Bullet Ride
Rage Against the Machine - War within a Breath
Sepultura - Rattamahatta, The Hunt, Propaganda

This should give you the general idea. Any recommendations to add to my playlist would be great[/quote]

check these sites. they should help
http://www.archaic-magazine.com/

anything by Pantera, Amon Amarth, As I Lay Dying,

Powerman 5000, Tupac, Sensation Black hard techno.

Jaheim - Never (makes me feel like dexter jackson)

Well, almost. I’ll take a look there but

1. there’s a difference between good metal and metal good for the gym. Children of Bodom is great metal but terrible for the gym, for example. Even Metallica is just not angry enough.
  2. I need some rap recommendations too. Listening to just metal at the gym would be monotonous and just give me headache

Thanks for the other recommendations. Any particular songs you guys like to lift to?

Drizzt,
Tupac? The most angry songs I’ve found by him is Hit Em Up and Everything They Owe, which may be good occasionally when walking to the gym or racking the weights up or something, but in general just nowhere near angry enough for me.

I’ll download some of the other two

Bodom is a great band for the gym… Man back in the day I used to hit the heaviest sets of squats while jammin’ Mask of Sanity lol.

[quote]TheBlade wrote:
Well, almost. I’ll take a look there but

1. I need some rap recommendations too. Listening to just metal at the gym would be monotonous and just give me headache[/quote]

Tupac songs specifally Bury me a G, I get around, Hit em up, All eyes on me, and the harder stuff . Any of the 50cent hard shit, none of the mainstream bull. Ill throw some notorious BIG in there to lighten the mood occasionally. Rage Against the machine, its a mix betwean rap and rock, really good stuff if you havent heard them, really gets me stoked. Check out some of Ice Cube’s stuff, and Master P’s stuff. I dont really like those last two but they do have some hard shit out there.

This should be interesting, I don’t think we’ve discussed this before.

Drizzt,

Really? To me all those songs are pretty chill Hit em up is kinda pissed off but not enough for me to lift to

50cent has some good ones

If you really want to listen to a harder rap then check out the classics…like NWA, and other early stuff.

what are some good specific recommendations? I had straight outta compton on my playlist for a little while but still…not angry enough

quo vadis

motorhead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LetuW6w1tB4
omnium gatherum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9msmJXSFwqY
the county medical examiners
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhwSvVf45wU
pro-pain

cavalera conspiracy

Does anybody else not hear the music once they start lifting? I don’t think music has ever been the determining factor in weather I get in the last rep or not.
I could be lifting to Nile, the Miley Cyrus they play over the gym’s speakers, or Gorillaz. It doesn’t make a difference once I start lifting.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z824u-FFo5o [/quote]

Ummmm… This is pretty good shit… IMHO

check out

its a site that u put in name of artist or genre of music and it pics random stuff like it… might find stuff you like…its free music over the internet basically …like free radio with no commercials. lol check it out!

[quote]Artem wrote:
Does anybody else not hear the music once they start lifting? I don’t think music has ever been the determining factor in weather I get in the last rep or not.
I could be lifting to Nile, the Miley Cyrus they play over the gym’s speakers, or Gorillaz. It doesn’t make a difference once I start lifting.[/quote]

Yeah same, once I actually begin lifting, I zone in completely on getting the weight up and forget about the music. The right song certainly does help get the adrenaline flowing pre-set though.

[quote]bob_sander87 wrote:
Yeah same, once I actually begin lifting, I zone in completely on getting the weight up and forget about the music. The right song certainly does help get the adrenaline flowing pre-set though.
[/quote]

Exactly. I don’t care if they play Mika during my set, but if I’m pumping myself up mentally for the next set I want some dude to roar, schream and shout on my ipod, not some faggy dude singing about how he digs fat chicks.