Gym Mat is 1/4" - Thick Enough?

Looking for cheap flooring for the basement to train on.

Tractor supply store sells many differant sizes of all purpose rubberized utilty mat.

It is only 1/4" thick.
Is that enough?

I bought 10 of the 4x6 3/4" stall mats. The weigh somewhere between 85-100# which keeps them from moving around. I think they were about $50 a piece, could be wrong its been a while. I remember them not being much more than the others that they carried.

That’s interesting.
Did you buy that @ Tractor Supply Store?
Maybe my store didn’t carry everything. All I could see was the 1/4" thick multiple sizes flexigaurd mats.

Are you going to drop weights on it? If so, 1/4" isn’t enough. I don’t even like the 3/4 mats for that. I have two 3/4" mats stacked on top of each other and can drop anything on it.

The only area Im planning on dropping the weights on is the area where I would ne doing my oly. lifts and deadlifts.

The mat that will go under the cage more then likely wont be needed for dropping weights.

And the mat area that I will use for dumbells, wont get dumbells dropped on it…much.

[quote]74 wrote:
I bought 10 of the 4x6 3/4" stall mats. The weigh somewhere between 85-100# which keeps them from moving around. I think they were about $50 a piece, could be wrong its been a while. I remember them not being much more than the others that they carried. [/quote]

I use these same mats too, I got them at the tractor supply store. They are a real pain in the ass to move because they are so heavy, and are real difficult to roll up. I paid 80 bucks for two.

They are nice and thick and absorb the shock of the weights real nicely. I recommend them. But be warned, they are a real pain in the ass to move. I had to lug two of them up three flights of stairs, not fun.

These sound like the mats for me.
But I dont see them on the tractor supply store website anymore?
And all that I saw @ the store was the flixigaurd mats that are 1/4" thick

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DisplayCategory_10551_10001_170902_14525_-1_14499|14523|14525

Are you guys talking about item # 2219003?

That does look like it. The ones I have are grooved horizontally instead of diagonally though.

3/4 inch thick, 4x6 rubber. They weigh a ton, but are perfect for dropping heavy weights down on without damaging the floor.

I hope you don’t have to move them up or down any stairs!

Can they roll up?

Stall mats? Not really.

No. They don’t roll up easily, the best method to move them is to just drag them to the desired location.

I have a piece of the actual mat they laid down at a LA Fitness that just opened up. The stuff is about 5/16" thick but denser than hell. People drop weights all day long there. I suppose any matting will work as long as you don’t care about the concrete underneath.

[quote]MNguns wrote:
That’s interesting.
Did you buy that @ Tractor Supply Store?
Maybe my store didn’t carry everything. All I could see was the 1/4" thick multiple sizes flexigaurd mats.[/quote]

Yeah, got them at TSC. They usually have them outside as they are built for horse stalls. As said by others, they weigh a lot, don’t roll, and are ALOT of fun to move downstairs. I don’t have any problem dropping weights on them.

Sounds liek I’m gonna have to make a trip out there and look again.
Outside this time, and or ask if they will order them for me?

I wonder how the flexgaurd mats I have listed in the link would do if I doubled them. One on top of another.

I will be using rubber bumper plates for oly lifts an deadlifts. So whenever a plate hits the ground it will be with a bumper plate.