T Nation

Gym Got Rid of Power Rack. Update!

AAAAAAAAAAARGH. They got rid of their only power rack so that they can put in a new super-smith machine…IT MOVES IN ALL 3 PLANES!!! Fuck me. They have 2 other smith machines, and hell 2 squat racks (one of which is never used). They HAD to get rid of the fucking power rack?

update: ok, so the rack arrived. It actually has safety bars on it. It’s like a smith combined with a regular rack. Here’s the thing though, it’s VERY wide. So resting a bar on the safety bars there’s not much room between where the safety bars end and the knobs on either end of the olympic bar start. There’s like a half inch per side. Really a pain in the ass. Plus the rack is very cluttered, there’s pins and bars all over the place.

So I’ve made a decision; I’m going to destroy the rack. It’s the cheapest piece of shit I’ve ever seen. The safety bars are the flimsiest pieces of shit I’ve ever seen. They might actually be hard plastic. I’m going to rack pull 500 and let it snap them when I re-rack it. The mechanism on the smith portion of it looks cheap as hell, and loose. I’m going to do some sort of explosive movement, maybe cleans?, and see if I can tear the damn thing apart.

I kind of hope the ASE certified personal trainers that lobbied for this thing look on in horror as I demolish this piece of shit. I hope they cry. Their tears will be post workout drink.

time to switch gyms my friend

My gym has 6 power racks and 5 squat racks.

And no, I’m not going to share.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
time to switch gyms my friend[/quote]

yup. It’s actually a network of gyms, I’m trying to find out if they ALL got rid of their power racks, or just this one. I don’t need a rack for my chest/tri/shoulder day, but for posterior chain days, and leg days I almost certainly do.

what chain is it?

try and find a golds gym man, we have 3 and 1 smith machine.

where abouts in MA do you live/train?

What can a power rack be used for that a squat rack can’t?

[quote]JLu wrote:
What can a power rack be used for that a squat rack can’t?[/quote]

Rack pulls, rack lockouts, some band work?

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
JLu wrote:

Rack pulls, rack lockouts, some band work?[/quote]

Own’d

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
JLu wrote:

Rack pulls, rack lockouts, some band work?[/quote]

Fair enough, I guess if you don’t have the squat racks with adjustable safeties that changes things.

[quote]Higgins wrote:
My gym has 6 power racks and 5 squat racks.

And no, I’m not going to share.[/quote]

I have 2 power racks in my personal gym. I’m not going to share either. Hehehehe.

suckaaa!
haha no that does suck, you should just invest in your OWN powerrack, best decision i ever made.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
JLu wrote:

Rack pulls, rack lockouts, some band work?

Own’d[/quote]

With a bit of ingenuity and time, you can do lockouts and rack pulls in a squat rack. It’s just a big pain in the ass and I’m glad my gym has two racks :slight_smile:

If it moves in all three planes, what’s the big deal?

Put on more weight to make up for the deficit or something.

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
If it moves in all three planes, what’s the big deal?

Put on more weight to make up for the deficit or something.[/quote]

Seriously?

Time to move on to greener pastures, patnah.

stop lifting at the Y

For shizzle my nizzle.

Are you pissed because you won’t be able to do back squats any more, or all the other shit you can do in a rack? My comment was assuming the former. If it’s the later, then yeah, shit’s lame bro.

I have a rack in my house, so kind of a moot point for me :slight_smile:

update: ok, so the rack arrived. It actually has safety bars on it. It’s like a smith combined with a regular rack. Here’s the thing though, it’s VERY wide. So resting a bar on the safety bars there’s not much room between where the safety bars end and the knobs on either end of the olympic bar start. There’s like a half inch per side. Really a pain in the ass. Plus the rack is very cluttered, there’s pins and bars all over the place.

So I’ve made a decision; I’m going to destroy the rack. It’s the cheapest piece of shit I’ve ever seen. The safety bars are the flimsiest pieces of shit I’ve ever seen. They might actually be hard plastic. I’m going to rack pull 500 and let it snap them when I re-rack it. The mechanism on the smith portion of it looks cheap as hell, and loose. I’m going to do some sort of explosive movement, maybe cleans?, and see if I can tear the damn thing apart.

I kind of hope the ASE certified personal trainers that lobbied for this thing look on in horror as I demolish this piece of shit. I hope they cry. Their tears will be post workout drink.

[quote]
I kind of hope the ASE certified personal trainers that lobbied for this thing look on in horror as I demolish this piece of shit. I hope they cry. Their tears will be post workout drink. [/quote]

Mixed with Surge, of course.

I wonder if the sales guy that sold this to your gym is laughing all the way to the bank.

Just make sure to step clear when you drop the 500lb rack pull onto the contraption :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
I hope they cry. Their tears will be post workout drink.[/quote]

I like the way you think.

Evil laughter