T Nation

Gym Going Regret??

anyone have this? when I go to the gym I workout till I feel like I’m gonna puke, yet upon leaving I feel like I could have done more. Hell my arms hurt so bad i can barely eat my cheeseburger. Yet I feel like bashing head in for feeling regretful.

Eh… not really, unless I know for a fact that I bitched out on some weight that I could have handled. Once I’m done with a workout I do my best to put it behind me and not dwell on it too much.

It depends on whether you lift weights for the sake of working out or if you lift weights to get bigger and/or stronger. if I lifted for the sole purpose of feeling like a train wreck then i agree.

From what ive read here on this site, all this confusion is in part due to a misinterpretation of Staley’s ideas, that muscular size gain is not due to gaining strength in a movement that involves the muscle but rather due to some amount of 'WORK; being done with the muscle.

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:
anyone have this? when I go to the gym I workout till I feel like I’m gonna puke, yet upon leaving I feel like I could have done more. Hell my arms hurt so bad i can barely eat my cheeseburger. Yet I feel like bashing head in for feeling regretful. [/quote]

i always think “yea that session ruled” but sometimes feel i could of added in another set or went to failure.

No, not really.

Bodybuilding is a process, not a one time event for an hour.

Sure, after 60-75 minutes I’m nauseous/exhausted and COULD push myself further, but what’s the point?

Consistency pays off more than killing yourself in a single session.

It’s like getting a sun tan, lay out every couple days and you’ll get the results you’re after.

[quote]pachell wrote:
Bodybuilding is a process, not a one time event for an hour.

Sure, after 60-75 minutes I’m nauseous/exhausted and COULD push myself further, but what’s the point?

Consistency pays off more than killing yourself in a single session.

It’s like getting a sun tan, lay out every couple days and you’ll get the results you’re after.[/quote]

but what about killing yourself at every session? lol

have a plan… follow the plan… Evaluate your plan after results at 6 to 8 weeks… Repeat

solid.

I feel like this anytime I compete-Like I should have done this, I could have trained harder ext- but not when training on a daily basis. I train as hard as I can, I do have a plan though and don’t try to deviate from that too much.

That is the over training alarm for me. Once the physical exhaustion wears off, if I don’t start feeling on top of the world, it’s time to take a break.

I’m surprised there isn’t more talk about the post-training high. Well, from someone other than Arnold. “It’s better than cumming!”

No, because I can always walk back into the garage and keep lifting.

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:
pachell wrote:
Bodybuilding is a process, not a one time event for an hour.

Sure, after 60-75 minutes I’m nauseous/exhausted and COULD push myself further, but what’s the point?

Consistency pays off more than killing yourself in a single session.

It’s like getting a sun tan, lay out every couple days and you’ll get the results you’re after.

but what about killing yourself at every session? lol[/quote]

then pretty soon your body is going to say “no more” and you won’t feel like training at all

Not really.

Push yourself hard in the gym. Rest up when out. You gotta do both to grow. You sure you aren’t just losing the ‘pump’ or ‘lifting’ feeling once you leave…? Thus feeling down or whatever

[quote]inthego wrote:
have a plan… follow the plan… Evaluate your plan after results at 6 to 8 weeks… Repeat

solid.[/quote]

^^AGREED
And that plan needs to include proper recovery.
That mindset can be a sign of over training in my opinion.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
No, because I can always walk back into the garage and keep lifting.[/quote]

I’m so anxious to equip myself like this.

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:

but what about killing yourself at every session? lol[/quote]

That’s at I do, for 60-75 minutes at a time. Rise and repeat every other day without fail…

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:
anyone have this? when I go to the gym I workout till I feel like I’m gonna puke, yet upon leaving I feel like I could have done more. Hell my arms hurt so bad i can barely eat my cheeseburger. Yet I feel like bashing head in for feeling regretful. [/quote]

You’re gonna hurt yourself.

I always go to the gym with the mentality of having a good safe workout. I set a goal each workout to beat my previous workout by adding more weight, another rep or just doing my sets with better form.

No regrets, only lessons learned on how to improve the next time.

If I pussed out it pisses me off. This doesn’t happen often though as I have a lot of energy I need to expel due to having a desk job.