T Nation

Gym Getting Rid of Heavy Dumbbells

I’ll be quick: The fitness center I work at just got a new Manager. He is planning on changing the gym to be less intimidating. One of the things he is planning on doing is getting rid of dumbbells past 80. I work there and need the money (especially in these times). He works out, but I guess just doesn’t get it. Besides the fact that members use the heavy dumbbells,

what can I say to him to convince him that heavy dumbbells aren’t intimidating? any suggestions? Keep in mind I can’t tell him anything vulgar …I need the job for now, but I’d like to atleast try to sway him. Thanks

If the mods filtered out useless post’s you would have very few.

Stop filling the forums with garbage posts!

[quote]Game Time wrote:

Stop filling the forums with garbage posts![/quote]

gal is for any topic- back down

Raging Bull is one of the worst, most over-hyped movies ever made.

Your boss sounds like an idiot. There’s no negotiating with idiots. It’s probably best not to say anything.

If your gym is even considering getting rid of the big bells, then it’s probably not that hardcore anyway. It’s not the equivalent of moving the heavy weights out of Gold’s Gym Venice Cali.

tell your boss they already have pussy gyms like lucille roberts for that mess…oh and to brush the sand out of his vagina. He’s prob just pissed thats hes not big and cant use big weights.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Raging Bull is one of the worst, most over-hyped movies ever made.

Your boss sounds like an idiot. There’s no negotiating with idiots. It’s probably best not to say anything.

If your gym is even considering getting rid of the big bells, then it’s probably not that hardcore anyway. It’s not the equivalent of moving the heavy weights out of Gold’s Gym Venice Cali. [/quote]

Are you commenting on the avatar? Looks like Rocky Marciano to me not Jake LaMotta! I could be wrong. I agree about Raging Bull though.

To the original poster, maybe ask if he would have treadmills which only go up to 8mph? Especially if he’s a cardio bunny!

Also, if there’s a section of members who would miss out then get them to complain, threatening to leave if he goes through with this.

Failing that is there anyone over the gym manager you could go to saying that you’re concerned because this could lose the establishment money.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Tell him to stop taking steroids, that’s what’s making him do this. Think of the children goddammit!

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Tell him to stop taking steroids, that’s what’s making him do this. Think of the children goddammit![/quote]

That might be too rude and overt for your situation. I would start off by asking him if he takes steroids, or pointing out that you suspect his physique is a result of steroid use.

There, it’s a more peaceful compromise AND you don’t have to break character!

He will probably lose the customers that use them. He can’t be so dumb to overlook this fact. Do people really see 80lb dumbbells and go ‘fuck this gym is too hardcore for me’ or something?

I thought Raging Bull was awesome. Fuck you guys.

How to convince:

1. Wrap hands around manager’s throat.
  2. Squeeze.
  3. Repeat #2 until his trachea pops.
  4. Assume managerial duties and rescind policy.

That was easy.

WHere do you work planet fitness?

[quote]SickAbs wrote:
tell your boss they already have pussy gyms like lucille roberts for that mess…oh and to brush the sand out of his vagina. He’s prob just pissed thats hes not big and cant use big weights. [/quote]

Oh and to tell him to not let the door hit his vagina on his way out…

Wow, getting rid of DBs past 80lbs?? What to make room for more DBs under 80lbs??? For all those vaginas who cant DB press past 50lbs…hhahaha

Ummmm, Ask him if you can have them? I mean shit whats he gonna do with them, sell them on e-bay? I’d be like, Excuse me sir, I too think this gym is way too hardcore. I really believe we need to take out the 45 lb plates, the squat rack, all the olypic bars, and any dumbell over 50 lbs. Don’t worry about hiring someone to come take them out, me and my buddies, scratch that you don’t have buddies, me and a few mexican immigrants who I will pay under the table to help me, will move this stuff out for you.

And if you don’t have anywhere to put it, I am buying a house with a barn which I am converting into a gym, so you and your mexican buddies er I mean helpers can bring it over to my new place once I close on it.

V

Tell him that even people who haven’t been lifting that long have uses for the bigger dumbells on some exercises.

[quote]Game Time wrote:

Stop filling the forums with garbage posts![/quote]

You think your reply was useful in anyway? Follow your own advice.

I’m happy that my sucky gym just got 110’s and 120’s. They’re getting better, thanks in part to relentless hounding (cough) and an employee who actually trains (it’s a “Y”).

Turns out there’s an insurance clause, and I don’t know if it’s a state-by-state thing, regulation, or what, but apparently, the insurance jumps when you stock with db’s over 100.

Steely Nation-- great new avatar. It won’t be my dream “all PA Superbowl” because the Eagles suck ass (well, McNabb and the O-Line), but the Steelers have a fighting chance.

Suggest that he paint the 100+ lb. DBs pink?

Tell him alienating his “hardcore” customers will not make the gym less “intimidating”.

Appeal to his sense of consumerism: Tell him as both an employee and facility user you don’t think it will sit well with customers and that if you were a customer you would not be happy about paying expensive dues if you couldn’t lift heavy weights. After all, you know the customers.

Appeal to reason: in this economy the best strategy is to try and maintain the current customer base and not try and realign the business to new customers who, for whatever reason, have not made their way into the gym yet. That is a foolhardy gamble.

Appeal to his ego: Ask him why he thinks 80# dbs are “intimidating”. Ask him if he speaks for all non-heavy lifters by categorizing them as such.

Is it just me or does everyone read Slimthugger as Slimnuthugger?

V

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Steely Nation-- great new avatar. It won’t be my dream “all PA Superbowl” because the Eagles suck ass (well, McNabb and the O-Line), but the Steelers have a fighting chance.[/quote]

Thanks dude. I thought the Eagles were going to run the table after they destroyed us in wk 3, but losing Westbrook hurt a lot and McNabb has been too hot and cold. They still have an outside shot at the wild card though.