Gym Ettiquitte

my university gym has oly platforms that hardly ever get used. it also has plenty of power racks that are rarely filled up.
for the oly platforms, there are the oly bumper plates.
when deadlifting or any other barbell exercises that i don’t need a power rack for, do i have to use the bumper plates? (the regular ones are right there too)
or is it ok to use the power rack for deadlifts and overhead lifts since they aren’t ever full anyway?
to be honest i’d like to just hog the power rack the whole time, and theres always empty racks at the time i go, but i don’t wanna be a dick.

If I had bumper plates available, I’d use them for deadlifts. I use rubber mats currently so it’s essentially the same thing. You have multiple power racks and hardly anyone is in there at the time you go? Go ahead and hog one.

there is a hole forum saying its ok to curl in the squat rack as long as no one else wants it at the moment so I would say go ahead

If you drop a weight it can (emphasize can) break the weight or bend the bar. Use the bumper plates if you think that you’ll be dropping it, otherwise, do as you please.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
there is a hole forum saying its ok to curl in the squat rack as long as no one else wants it at the moment so I would say go ahead[/quote]

Don’t go there.