Gym Etiquette

I actually saw another person doing conventional deadlifts in my gym today.

The catch is that his form kind of sucked - noticeable rounding in the lower back which seemed to mostly be caused by him not having his legs bent enough at the start of the movement. It looked atrocious.

I’m pretty sure this is the kind of thing that can cause injury (correct me if I’m wrong, I’m newb and always want to learn more), so should I have said something?

no. darwinism.

I just leave them alone. They might be offended.

I guess it all depends on the person, you and the lifter.

If I see people that are doing that (which I do; often) I normally gage my reaction on the weight they are pulling.

If its light weight; they are new…and will figure it out (hopefully)

If its heavy; and they are just one of those ‘retards’ that wants to put alot of weight on, do the lift to look badass…I might tell them.

But I feel really comfy at my gym; most people either know me; or have seen me around for years and would respect my words.

You could always deadlift at the same time as them; in perfect form…and hope they watch.

Either way, don’t let it ruin your training.

If it won’t mess up your schedule ask if you can work in with him. Maybe he will ask for advice once he see’s you lifting correctly.

Gym etiquette?

Rack your weights, don’t take up the squat rack when you don’t need it.

Don’t stink or spit in the sink. Try not to blow gas.

Oh yeah, in most cases don’t give unsolisited advise. Unless you can figure a brilliant way to tactfully slip it in (see above for such an example).

[quote]on edge wrote:
Gym etiquette?

Rack your weights, don’t take up the squat rack when you don’t need it.

Don’t stink or spit in the sink. Try not to blow gas.

Oh yeah, in most cases don’t give unsolisited advise. Unless you can figure a brilliant way to tactfully slip it in (see above for such an example).[/quote]

Agreed. Unless they come to you for advice, don’t run around giving it.

You’ll end up being the “know-it-all” of the gym if you do.

Those guys are annoying.

…unless its a hot girl

And if you do give advice, start with “What works for me…”

Nothing is more irritating than unsolicited advice. Usually it is being given out by the sorts of physical wrecks that should perhaps not be giving training advice either.

Tell him you know a good chiropractor and see if he figures it out.

[quote]B rocK wrote:

You could always deadlift at the same time as them; in perfect form…and hope they watch.

[/quote]

I’ve taken this approach many times with many lifts, seems to work good and its not offending or insulting.

Don’t give unsolicited advice. If they want your opinion, they will ask you.

I might step in if see something that I think will no doubt immediately injure somebody. Like if a 140 lb teenager tries to bench 450 lbs with nothing but another 140 teenager “spotting” him, I might step in (meaning only that I’ll tell them that I think they are about to injure themselves and should rethink their actions) without them asking. It’d have to be something ridiculously crazy like that.

But honestly, nothing like that has ever happened in my experience, so it’s merely a hypothetical.

In reality, I mind my own business unless someone asks me. You should too.

[quote]Game_over wrote:
B rocK wrote:

I’ve taken this approach many times with many lifts, seems to work good and its not offending or insulting.[/quote]

yeah that would work. if someone bigger than me is doing the same lift@ the same time i usually watch to see if theyre doing something different (that doesnt make the lift wrong).