T Nation

Gym D-Bags, Lets Hear About Yours

Today I decided to switch things up and instead of going to my normal smaller gym I went with my friend to the new LA fitness around our area. Maybe I’m the only one who gets pissed about things like this but whenever I walked into the weight room, I was blown away by the number of “tools” that were working out. It looked more like a fashion show rather than a workout. There huge dudes in there under armor sweat suits, others in matching Air Jordan outfits with their backwards hats. I was expecting some guys to pull out cameras and take myspace pictures.

To top it all off, I had decided to ask one of the guys if I was squatting correctly. He then constantly told me to look at his ass while he did the squat. And after he then told me “its better if you use real weights” (I had about a ten on each side) Did I forget to mention the fact that I had a leg brace on at the time and am just getting done rehabing my knee, so I was trying to get the best form down before I did even close to heavy weight, and this fuck says something like that. This might just me being pissed because of the major dueschs that go to big gyms, but if anyone else has a story please share.

idk people are pretty normal i guess at my gym.

theres some weird guy who wears a shirt that has sleeves but nothing covering the shoulders and some kid who is just an ass doing half reps and grunting, smacking himself in the head. other than them though, its fine.

[quote]JCUNN wrote:
And after he then told me “its better if you use real weights”[/quote]

pwned.

I workout in my apartment.

The only douchebag in here is me! Yesterday I was thrusting my pelvis back and forth between sets, and my weiner was slapping up against my stomach making a “fap, fap, fap” sound, it was awesome! I can only do that shit here.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
The only douchebag in here is me! Yesterday I was thrusting my pelvis back and forth between sets, and my weiner was slapping up against my stomach making a “fap, fap, fap” sound, it was awesome! I can only do that shit here.[/quote]

You avatar is perfect for you.

To the OP- these are too many of these threads already. Squat Rack Curls is the longest running. You should check it out.

alright, my bad.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
skaz05 wrote:

You avatar is perfect for you.

[/quote]

HA, that made me lol

I had a gym d-bag experience the other day. I came up with an EDT plan. That day it was pullups and tri extensions. Before I started this total jerk off of hopping in place like a boxer talking all loud to his buddy, once in a while he would pick up a dumbell and do somthing with it.

Anyway after my warm-up I’m goin full bore. I got my IPOD rockin DMX, Dragonforce, and Arch-Enemy. I’m in Iraq right now and I’m in the QRF platoon so when this retard was standing next to me and I could see his lips flappen I pulled out my ear bud and said “what”. He says “Do pullup work your shoulders or your back”. Doesnt NOexPLODE come with a free workout poster or somthing.

Yes, my gym has it’s fair share of douchebags.

Guys who show up in Abercrombie and cologne don’t bother me. Live and let live…whatever. As long as they don’t adversely affect my workout I don’t care one way or the other.

We have these guys who come in who belong to an arm-wrestling club. (Incidentally, Japanese guys tend to be really good arm-wrestlers, as quite a few have actually taken lessons (!!).) We have a very limited number of flat benches and these clowns completely monopolize them doing arm-wrestling specific exercises that they could very easily do on ANY flat surface (an aerobics “step”, the floor, etc).

There are a good number of “hosts” that work out at my gym as well. In a nutshell, these guys work in upscale bars, charging older women an arm and a leg to get drunk with them. Its kind of a similar phenomenon to western guys going to a strip club, I suppose, but a lot more socially acceptable.

Here’s an example.

These guys piss me off because a.) they tend to hate foreigners b.) they hog benches doing gay-ass “pumping” exercises and c.) their hair leaves a residue, or “slick” if you will, on any surface that does not wipe off. There’s this one host in particular who comes in…no word of exaggeration…wearing dress pants and a vest with no shirt underneath. His hair is probably 2-3 cubic feet in volume, and is styled to look like the helmet of a Roman Centurion. Whatever he uses to keep his ridiculous coif in place stains the benches

Some guy asked me to spot him on 315 for bench. It basically turned into some kid of hybrid curl/shrug motion for me to prevent it from crushing him.

[quote]ab_power wrote:
Some guy asked me to spot him on 315 for bench. It basically turned into some kid of hybrid curl/shrug motion for me to prevent it from crushing him.

[/quote]

That happened to me last week. It was 225, and a guy that had no business even attempting it.

So, he asks me to spot and for a lift off. I could tell it wasn’t going to end well as soon as I gave him a lift off. essentially dropped it on his chest, got about an inch off on the bounce, then I had to take it.

I think I have you all beat.
It was chest day 2 days ago. I go in to do dumbbell inclines and there’s only one of the 60lb dumbbells that I wanted on the rack. There’s only one 55 too. The other 60 is under this dude’s bench and I can’t even spot the other 55.

I say fuck it, it’s gonna be a high rep day. I grab the 50s and start doing my inclines.

When it’s time to do declines, one 70 is missing too.
This dude has one 60, one 55, a 70, and both 5s, 7.5s, and 12.5s under his bench. I have no idea what the fuck this skinny dude in a wife beater is doing, but OK whatever. I start doing declines with the 65s.

One set in, the dude comes up to me. “Hey man I was just gonna put these 25s under this bench to make the angle more declined.” I’m like… ok, I’m fine with the angle it’s at now. Thanks though.

He just stares at me for a bit then says “Yeah, is it straight if I work in with you?” I’m like, ok… He is now taking up two benches and half the gym’s dumbbells.

I do another set and then he puts some 25s under the legs of the bench and does a set up crunches with a 20lb dumbbell on his chest. He then leaves the 20 there and walks away. I take out the 25s and 20s and finish my sets.

…what the fuck? What the hell was this guy doing on two benches with dumbbells ranging from 70 to 5lbs…

When I was an undergrad, I used the gym on campus, as it was free. One of the squat racks backed up next to the incline leg press (sled). Whilst in the middle of my sets, these three kids (i.e. 17-18 years old and maybe 360lbs between the three of 'em) proceed to pile ~700lbs of plates onto the sled. I’m thinking “this ain’t gonna be good…”

So, you know what happens next: as soon as little-man lifts the sled off of the safety stops (w/his friends’ help, of course) it comes crashing down on him. It was, in fact, his diminutive size that kept most of his body behind the end of the sled’s travel. The kid was actually laughing–he had no idea how close he came to splitting himself wide open downtown. D-bag times three, for sure.

Volleyball players in my Athletic Weights class were trying to convince my coach that lifting weights wasn’t necessary for them to get better. Why in hell were they in the Athletic Weights class anyways?

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
The only douchebag in here is me! Yesterday I was thrusting my pelvis back and forth between sets, and my weiner was slapping up against my stomach making a “fap, fap, fap” sound, it was awesome! I can only do that shit here.[/quote]

Your responses rarely cease to amaze and entertain me.

wtf is your avatar SSC? it looks like a kangaroo on florida or a stingray with a huge cock.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
wtf is your avatar SSC? it looks like a kangaroo on florida or a stingray with a huge cock.[/quote]

It’s a U on an F, with a Gator in the U and Florida in the F.

There were 2 interesting douchebags at my gym yesterday actually.

First one was this skinny hispanic guy walking around like rapping out loud and then yelling each of his reps out loud while lifting (ONE!, TWO!, THREE!, etc), then he would completely let go of the bar for the smith machine he was shrugging on and let it crash down…

…really don’t understand the point of this - isn’t the whole point of the smith machine that you can just twist the fucking bar to lock it in place when your done with your set?

D-bag #2: Another hispanic guy, this one was fat though and walking around in a polo shirt with his collar popped (incredibly ghey).

Analysis of post:

[quote]JCUNN wrote:

To top it all off, I had decided to ask one of the guys if I was squatting correctly. [/quote]

So, you asked for help and are now criticizing the guy for helping you?

[quote]

He then constantly told me to look at his ass while he did the squat.[/quote]

That sounds no different than when a pro bodybuilder working out at my gym was showing me how he did back exercises. The focus wasn’t his ass but on his posture and how making an effort to basically stick your ass out is how you maintain form on some movements.

[quote]
And after he then told me “its better if you use real weights” (I had about a ten on each side) Did I forget to mention the fact that I had a leg brace on at the time and am just getting done rehabing my knee, so I was trying to get the best form down before I did even close to heavy weight, and this fuck says something like that.

This might just me being pissed because of the major dueschs that go to big gyms, but if anyone else has a story please share.[/quote]

Wait, LEG BRACE…or one of those knee wraps you can buy at CVS or Walmart? Big difference. Not only that, but his comment wasn’t even a put down. 10lbs on each side for squats is a warm up if you are a young girl who just started lifting.